Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wolverine and Lynx set pics please #7005191
10/01/20 12:00 AM
10/01/20 12:00 AM
Alaska
T
T_inman Offline OP
trapper
T_inman  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alaska
Good evening....I've been a trapping dabbler for most of my life but have only recently decided to up my game. I am in Fairbanks and want to get a few lynx and wolverine pelts for for my cabin. I've searched a bit on here for pictures of sets, but they've been mostly old, dark and difficult to see.
Could any of you post pictures of how you go about setting up snares for these two critters? I do some leg holds too so I'd appreciate pics of those sets too, but really get tired of carrying that weight, plus they freeze so much easier, so the vast majority of my trapping is done via snare.

I am especially looking for pictures of double sets in open ended cubbies for cats and double pole sets for wolverine. I am trying to learn how to set the set up, so pics of the snares themselves and where they're set as opposed to blocking, height and such-----before they catch-----would be most helpful.

Any specific tips beyond the basics of what I have read on this forum would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Lover of cheap beer, dead critters and the fatties.
Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: T_inman] #7005491
10/01/20 12:19 PM
10/01/20 12:19 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
My basic lynx set is a double end brush cubby with snares and also snares hung around the set in all tight spots. With outside cubby snares you will often pick up doubles and occasionally three or more. I use basically no bait other than a squirrel or bird wing with lure on it as an in-cubby attractor.
[ [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For wolverine I recommend a spacious walk through cubby (16-20”wide X 36”Lenght) with a 280 or 330 BG trap at each end. My experience has been if an animal can see its way out the back end of a space, and can easily turn around within it, they are far less hesitant to enter and less apt to tear the cubby apart. In my opinion many wolverine feel crowded in a normal cubby set up with no escape route, thus they tear them apart to safely get at the bait with an escape route available.

If you post your request on the "Wilderness" forum you will probably get more responses.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: T_inman] #7005607
10/01/20 02:50 PM
10/01/20 02:50 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
There is an episode of FNT's show that follows 2 of the top wolverine guys on their line I remember quite a bit of it. @ things stuck out to me. 1. They used round enclosures with fairly small openings guarded by 330's or snares and they used a second set inside the enclosure. It was a tall enclosure but the wolverine would still climb over. 2. They used bait from another wolverine feed site as wolverines evidently pee on sites to ward off other predators and they don't like other wolverines in their territory. Try to find that show it will definitely give you some good pointers.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: T_inman] #7005611
10/01/20 02:57 PM
10/01/20 02:57 PM
user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
martenpine Offline
trapper
martenpine  Offline
trapper

user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
Try the alaska trappers association FB page and also you can ask in the wilderness forum on this site. I believe good stuff on this site in archieves of the wilderness forum also

When there is shot in the air, there is hope.
When in doubt, throttle out!
ATA, NTA, NATCA, ITA
Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: T_inman] #7005797
10/01/20 07:14 PM
10/01/20 07:14 PM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
The ATA's Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual has an excellent section on wolverine trapping.
bctomcat, that's interesting about cubby size and entrances, it makes a lot of sense.
Will have to check out that F&T episode.
Far as lynx, the biggest thing I learned when trapping up there last winter was how much simpler it was than I'd expected!
I put up a series of videos on YouTube that show lynx and wolverine sets and some catches. https://youtu.be/nsaqMJtG_ac
Be careful making any sets near Fairbanks that might catch someone's dog!

Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: bctomcat] #7005961
10/01/20 10:16 PM
10/01/20 10:16 PM
Alaska
T
T_inman Offline OP
trapper
T_inman  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alaska
Originally Posted by bctomcat
My basic lynx set is a double end brush cubby with snares and also snares hung around the set in all tight spots. With outside cubby snares you will often pick up doubles and occasionally three or more. I use basically no bait other than a squirrel or bird wing with lure on it as an in-cubby attractor.
[ [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For wolverine I recommend a spacious walk through cubby (16-20”wide X 36”Lenght) with a 280 or 330 BG trap at each end. My experience has been if an animal can see its way out the back end of a space, and can easily turn around within it, they are far less hesitant to enter and less apt to tear the cubby apart. In my opinion many wolverine feel crowded in a normal cubby set up with no escape route, thus they tear them apart to safely get at the bait with an escape route available.

If you post your request on the "Wilderness" forum you will probably get more responses.

Thanks my man....this is exactly the kind of info and pictures I am looking for. Clear pictures showing the snares and how they're set in relation to the log, cubby, etc..

Thanks!

Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: martenpine] #7005964
10/01/20 10:18 PM
10/01/20 10:18 PM
Alaska
T
T_inman Offline OP
trapper
T_inman  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alaska
Originally Posted by martenpine
Try the alaska trappers association FB page and also you can ask in the wilderness forum on this site. I believe good stuff on this site in archieves of the wilderness forum also

I don't do facebook. Too much drama (even more than on these forums believe it or not), plus I don't need my mom seeing some high school friend of mine post a picture of me wasted and doing stupid things back in my younger years.....
I looked at the wilderness forum on this site but it looked to have less than 1/3 of the active participants and threads on it, so I figured I'd get more traction here even though that other forum may have been more relevant, content wise.

Thanks though!

Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: T_inman] #7008032
10/03/20 10:00 PM
10/03/20 10:00 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Although I preferred double end 330 cubbies for wolverine sets the baited 330 box cubby will take mainy also. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What do other wolverine trappers say?

Last edited by bctomcat; 10/03/20 10:55 PM.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: T_inman] #7132985
01/12/21 12:30 AM
01/12/21 12:30 AM
Alaska
T
T_inman Offline OP
trapper
T_inman  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alaska
Well I got my first the other day in a cubby set for lynx....
[Linked Image]

I don't know if I just got lucky or what...I set in a place that looked like both good wolverine and lynx winter habitat with plenty of bunny tracks.

I need a good lynx now. Do you all have better luck with the lynx in heavily timbered areas, or just any areas with snowshoe hare tracks, like the willow creek bottom in the pic above? I found an isolated grove of timber that had a family of lynx working it, but didn't catch any of them in my snares or footholds, just the wolverine. Do lynx make rounds in their territory, coming back every couple weeks like wolves and other critters do?

thanks!

Re: Wolverine and Lynx set pics please [Re: T_inman] #7133544
01/12/21 03:15 PM
01/12/21 03:15 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nice catches.Congrats

Nevada bound
Previous Thread