Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Tips for and out of state trip. #6969242
08/20/20 02:05 PM
08/20/20 02:05 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline OP
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline OP
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
I have never really had an out of state trapping trip . I have been out of state hunting and did a little trapping but it was not a true trapping trip. I have several properties lined up with permission and am looking at some public land too. I plan on setting the properties I have permission for and then branch out from there . I can road trap where I plan on going so between spots Im gonna set the obvious spots along the way. Plan on mostly trapping for cats,fox and coyote . One of the properties im going to be on the land owner wants me to hit the coons pretty hard there . Since I have been in this area before I know I can catch enough bounty beaver to pay for my licence and a lot of my gas. Beaver trapping I know Ill pick up more than a few otter. Ill be camping at a friends farm on one end of my line and staying at a friends cabin on the other with right at 80 miles in between. Right now I plan of being there 2 weeks.

Since I have been out out of state hunting trips I know not to take stuff that "I think I might need" or 3 of everything, but dont want to limit myself to much. Ill have power so Im thinking I should take a freezer ? Not taking a 4 wheeler because I can do 99% of this out of the back of the truck.Not taking a boat because Ill have access to one. Other than my trapping gear does anyone have any recommendations on what or what not to take to make this go as smooth as possible ?

Gary Bartlow
Re: Tips for and out of state trip. [Re: ilbucksndux] #6969254
08/20/20 02:26 PM
08/20/20 02:26 PM
Central Minnesota
Outdoors Guy Offline
trapper
Outdoors Guy  Offline
trapper

Central Minnesota
Depending on how much space you have after you have the essentials put in (bait, traps, lure, anchors, stakes, etc) then see what it next important for you to bring. The amount of space that you have is key you may be able to bring the whole kitchen sink or you may be limited to the essentials. It all just depends on that space, then you can bring more so of those other equipment pieces or helpful but not essential items. Remember to leave space for on the drive back since you will be carrying extra home.

Re: Tips for and out of state trip. [Re: ilbucksndux] #6969294
08/20/20 03:42 PM
08/20/20 03:42 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
If you're sure you'll have power, I'd trailer a freezer with me personally, since I've read bout many other state hoppers doing it.
Skin em out there and put them up once home.
What if the power goes out from a winter ice storm?..., best take a lil generator.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91