Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support Lenon's Lures, our sponsor for the Kids Forum Page)
Print Thread
Hop To
Trap anchoring #6950046
07/31/20 11:01 PM
07/31/20 11:01 PM
PA
K
KeeperOfTheCoons Offline OP
trapper
KeeperOfTheCoons  Offline OP
trapper
K

PA
How do you secure your traps? I'm not really into the idea of using an earth anchor but I kind like rebar. Recently I decided to pull up a rebar stake that was around our old dog kenal. Its a rebar stake about 12 inches long with a T at the top to keep the loop or swivel or whatever on. I was surprised when I drove it into the ground and pulled on it with a rope and it wouldn't budge much at all. I underestimated how well they would hold but would that be enough to hold, say a coon? I got more than one so i could cross stake it so make it stronger. I was also thinking of using wire to secure traps, it works but it doesn't seem foolproof, and cable is pricey and I use them for snares. I know it works well for water trapping but what gauge wire would I need? 14, 12, 10 gauge wire? Also I would use wooden stakes made from trees all day long for conibears but unless you know a muskrat is going to get caught in a set could a wooden stake be used for a foothold trap? I've heard of them welling in the ground but I could see an animal like a fox pulling out a wooden stake, and I could see a coon fighting it to the brink of being able to break it or the wire. There are alot of coyotes in my area now and they could rip one right out of the ground I bet. If you took a chain could you run it around the tree and link it to another chain and basically chain it to the tree and it would hold anything. What is your guys opinion on staking or securing your trap? How do you do it?

Always learning
Lifetime NRA member
Re: Trap anchoring [Re: KeeperOfTheCoons] #6950326
08/01/20 09:48 AM
08/01/20 09:48 AM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Hello! I haven’t seen you on here before so welcome! I use earth anchors that’s what works for me. If you need anything else just ask!

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: Trap anchoring [Re: KYtrapper2005] #6950945
08/01/20 08:55 PM
08/01/20 08:55 PM
PA
K
KeeperOfTheCoons Offline OP
trapper
KeeperOfTheCoons  Offline OP
trapper
K

PA
Hi there! I'm looking forward to learning alot on this forum so if I do I will let you know, thanks!

Always learning
Lifetime NRA member
Re: Trap anchoring [Re: KeeperOfTheCoons] #6950970
08/01/20 09:10 PM
08/01/20 09:10 PM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Good glad to have ya!

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: Trap anchoring [Re: KeeperOfTheCoons] #6950999
08/01/20 09:24 PM
08/01/20 09:24 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Always stake for the largest animal in your area.
Wooden stakes are not a good idea for land animals. I know you think cable costs more than wire,but lose one animal because of a twisted and broken wire and you would have paid the difference between wire and cable---not only would you lose the animal,but also the trap
Cable stakes are a good idea for land animals.You could also use 1/2 in rerod stakes,depending on the ground ,would determine the length of stakes you would need.It would also tell you if cross staking was needed.
Another thing about wire,it needs to be changed each year ,cable does not.
If you have any other staking questions--fire away.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: Trap anchoring [Re: Bogmaster] #6951206
08/02/20 12:15 AM
08/02/20 12:15 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Always stake for the largest animal in your area.

VERY sound advice.

Re: Trap anchoring [Re: KeeperOfTheCoons] #7020953
10/18/20 10:40 PM
10/18/20 10:40 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
A few suggestions for ya! All stakes should be metal. I would stay away from wood. 18" rerod stakes are good investments. Drowning wire 14 ga. if only mink & muskrat. I would go 11 ga. in case of coon or accidental beaver. A good option in stead of stakes for land are heavy branches or limbs as drags. Wire trap chain to middle or end of limb with several wraps of 14 ga. wire. Less pull-outs this way also. Put a swivel on all your trap chains about 2" from trap. Have fun trapping

Till that day.....
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bogmaster