Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
What's in your predator bag? #6938896
07/22/20 07:03 PM
07/22/20 07:03 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central/Western Texas
It's always interesting to see what other trappers carry in their predator bags. What do you carry? I carry a 3# sod-buster type hammer, Dewalt 18v drill w/ 2" auger, liftetime sifter, super stake driver, & pan covers. In my bait and lure bag I carry a bait applicator (fork, butter-knife, and / or dandelion puller), feathers (yes they are legal here), sheep's wool, q-tips (for lures), and whatever other bait holders I choose to carry (bones, grab-n-pull sticks, scent eggs [I make my own], etc.) Then, as a rule, I always have coyote, bobcat, & fox urine, and scat from 'yotes & 'cats. (Can't get my hands on fox scat.) Then a variety of lures and baits, too keep those 'dogs on their toes.

I run a lot of Dukes (mainly 550s & 650s, but also #1.75's offset & baseplated), and I'm going to be trying Wolf Creek Traps this season as well!

Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6938940
07/22/20 07:34 PM
07/22/20 07:34 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Homemade sod-buster, sifter, Tom Stalker's wolffang driver, homemade pipe for punching holes, and one bait/lure with urine. Butter knife in the side. Handful of polyfill that lasts most the season and out the door! I have been pondering going to either a ground-hog or adding a d-handled trowel from fur shed fabrications. We shall see.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6939186
07/22/20 10:04 PM
07/22/20 10:04 PM
Iowa
trapperjdb Offline
trapper
trapperjdb  Offline
trapper

Iowa
Victor Montgomery #3 traps, 3lb sod buster, Rigid 18 volt hammer drill with Shane Claey’s auger, steel screen wire, whisk broom, long handled fork, a heavy duty sifter, and various baits and lures from Keg Creek, John Graham, Wayne Derrick, ADC and Mark June.

ITA, NRA & NTA member

Short liner and proud of it.
Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6939195
07/22/20 10:06 PM
07/22/20 10:06 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I carry everything in the back of the truck

Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6939360
07/23/20 04:47 AM
07/23/20 04:47 AM
southeast nh
M
mushfoot Offline
trapper
mushfoot  Offline
trapper
M

southeast nh
[Linked Image] traps i use are mb 550 and bridger #2

Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6939387
07/23/20 06:33 AM
07/23/20 06:33 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
For setting: bucket with hammer/digger tool, super stake driver, roll of pipe wrap insulation, trowel, bait, pee, lure, gloves. Other bucket has clean traps and stakes, some snares with support wire too. If setting coon traps near coyote sets there's usually a few DPs, golf bslls, and bait for those in there too.

For checking I use an old bird hunting vest with large pockets. Small roll of pipe wrap insulation, bait, lure, bottle of pee, clip of .22 shells, vice grips (if checking snares) and couple extra snares with support wire rolled up. I also carry a couple old shoe laces for tying coyotes four feet together to carry them easier like a suitcase if I'm hoofing it very far into section in land I cant drive in to check. And the old 10/22 with a sling and my headlamp. Only thin in my hands is my trowel or spade for remakes. I try to keep my hands free as possible for carrying catches when checking and I dont carry any more than I have to.

A couple weeks ahead of setting I check for sign and I stash clean milk jugs filled with sifted waxed dirt, putting those in fencerow and nearby brush piles, wherever I want to put in a couple sets. The jugs I collect all summer long with lids and rinse them well. They keep prepared waxed dirt all dry and at outdoor temps when stashed, and have a nice carry handle. Makes setting day go fast and remakes really fast when not hauling dirt. Just walk over to the stash point and grab a jug. Dont need to carry a sifter when setting or checking since my waxed dirt is presifted and I just pour it from the jug when making a set. Once and awhile I bring a new jug when I start to run low at a location after a few remakes. Pick em all up when pulling traps. This is a huge weight and time saver for me as I have to hoof it in on a few of my farms.

Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 07/23/20 06:46 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6939472
07/23/20 08:34 AM
07/23/20 08:34 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I carry two bags, weiser predator and the beaver bag. Sifter, nails for power bedding, bait/lure go in the predator bag. Sod buster, bullet stake driver, traps, dry bags for wax sand/peat moss/grass clippings go in the beaver bag.

For remakes I just carry the beaver bag and drop the sod buster for a masonry hammer and ditch the driver. I'll throw in a skinning kit to skin animals on the line where I can

Last edited by SNIPERB🦝; 07/23/20 08:38 AM.
Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6940092
07/23/20 06:12 PM
07/23/20 06:12 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
A 5 gal bucket with all the essentials for foothold trapping and a tool bag for snaring essentials. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6941891
07/25/20 12:45 AM
07/25/20 12:45 AM
SO. central Kansas
HOYT archery Offline
trapper
HOYT archery  Offline
trapper

SO. central Kansas
I use a milk crate with my Pogo driver through the handles of the crate. I then carry the whole deal by holding onto the driver shaft. This works good and you don't leave your driver behind, because it's the carry handle.

In the crate are some useful things. - 28oz Estwing framing hammer - lineman pliers - J-hook tool, from Ron Marsh - cable cutters - screwdriver & wrench for pan bolts - ziplock full of precut polyfil - box of nails and spikes (power bedding in peat moss) - small bag of new j-hooks (6 or 8) - handful extra Pogo anchors - 3/8" rebar T bar for wobble or punch holes
- Dewalt drill & auger (sometimes)

Lure and bait selections are in their own handy carry tote. Traps are is their own storage tote. Peat moss (dried) is in screw top 5 gal buckets. All this stuff goes in the truck.

Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6942293
07/25/20 01:05 PM
07/25/20 01:05 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
An assortment of lures, coyote and fox urine,2 different baits. Pliers, kitchen scissors. Flagging tape, wax paper pan covers,a few trap tags. A chew can of .22's. Fire starter. Trowel, stake driver, sifter,block hammer. Pair of gloves. Just carry traps in a 5 gallon bucket. Later in the season the bucket has peat moss.

Gary Bartlow
Re: What's in your predator bag? [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6942350
07/25/20 01:47 PM
07/25/20 01:47 PM
NY
R
rendezvous Offline
trapper
rendezvous  Offline
trapper
R

NY
My predator bag is a 6 gal. bucket. My bait/urine/lure bag is similar to bctomcat's bag.

Let's go Brandon!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91