No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why not a pocket set? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6924291
07/08/20 06:57 PM
07/08/20 06:57 PM
Mt.Iron MN
K
Ken Mclellan Offline
trapper
Ken Mclellan  Offline
trapper
K

Mt.Iron MN
I’ve never had much luck with boxes. They did heat the garage for awhile though. A roofing shingle folded into a “n” shape worked better for me. Even a wad of long grass shape into a pocket works good.

Time and tide wait for no man
Re: Why not a pocket set? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6924496
07/08/20 10:23 PM
07/08/20 10:23 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
The only time a box works for me here is when the mink has killed and partially eaten a rat or rabbit. Toss the remains in the box with a BG up front and they are waiting for me in a day or two when they get hungry again. AND I have a story like Beav's. In '82 I was in Minn and trapping at Forest Hansen's south of Brainard. he told me he lost a hog (350 lb sow) and he drug it over east of the hay field. That was 3 weeks ago and it stunk like you can imagine. We had a light snow so I went over to check on any activity around the carcass and there were 2 packed solid mink trails in that snow leading to the creek (30 yds) that made you quiver. I set 3 110 size BG and caught 5 mink going to feed on that carcass in 1 week. And it stunk even more than I can describe --- probably still does. After that week the snow came into where I could not get to the carcass so I pulled and left. So much for fresh bait in the pocket theory.

Re: Why not a pocket set? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6924500
07/08/20 10:28 PM
07/08/20 10:28 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by Mason Mayer
I’ve seen that mink boxes can be effective but why build one when you can just dig I hole in the bank, the only benefit I see is that the box won’t freeze but I’m not too worried about that, so is there anything better about a box compared to digging a hole?

I tend to agree. I think the whole advantage is supposed to be weatherproofing, but there's other ways to do that also. I do like the idea of a box set on the ice, in the cattails, but never really tried it. A BE set is pretty doggone weather proof too and all you need is a trap and a stick.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread