No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: Steven 49er] #6862704
05/03/20 11:18 PM
05/03/20 11:18 PM
Nebraska
H
hunter88 Offline
Government Troll
hunter88  Offline
Government Troll
H

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
700,000 jobs lost in the past few weeks?

Straight from the department of labor. https://www.dol.gov/ui/data.pdf

The COVID-19 virus continues to impact the number of initial claims and insured unemployment.
UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE WEEKLY CLAIMS
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED DATA
In the week ending April 25, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 3,839,000, a decrease of
603,000 from the previous week's revised level. The previous week's level was revised up by 15,000 from 4,427,000 to
4,442,000. The 4-week moving average was 5,033,250, a decrease of 757,000 from the previous week's revised average.
The previous week's average was revised up by 3,750 from 5,786,500 to 5,790,250.
The advance seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate was 12.4 percent for the week ending April 18, an
increase of 1.5 percentage points from the previous week's revised rate. This marks the highest level of the seasonally
adjusted insured unemployment rate in the history of the seasonally adjusted series. The previous week's rate was revised
down by 0.1 from 11.0 to 10.9 percent. The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the
week ending April 18 was 17,992,000, an increase of 2,174,000 from the previous week's revised level. This marks the
highest level of seasonally adjusted insured unemployment in the history of the seasonally adjusted series. The previous
week's level was revised down by 158,000 from 15,976,000 to 15,818,000. The 4-week moving average was 13,292,500,
an increase of 3,733,250 from the previous week's revised average. The previous week's average was revised down by
39,000 from 9,598,250 to 9,559,250.

700,000? There was 700,000 a day on average from April 12th to the 18th.

13 million new claims in the first three weeks of April!

Wade, I'm not an economist either, like white 17 said in another thread "I'm not optimistic". It's safe to say I'm even less "optimistic" than Ken is.

The jobs report for the April that should come out this week will be not so rosy so to speak.

The number I gave came from here.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/economy/march-jobs-report-coronavirus/index.html

But I'm glad to go with your numbers. 4% with 13 million jobs lost. Long way to go to get to 10%. We'll see where we go, we may get to 10%, which will put us at a place we've been before.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6862707
05/03/20 11:22 PM
05/03/20 11:22 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
The report you cited is March numbers, March is a lifetime away.

The unemployment rate as of the 25 of April was 18 percent.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6862713
05/03/20 11:33 PM
05/03/20 11:33 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Virginia had 900 reported cases on Saturday alone and 44 deaths. Their worst day yet.

I am still keeping my distance and washing my hands. When we go to a store, the wife goes inside and I stay in the car. Nice guy, huh.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6862714
05/03/20 11:34 PM
05/03/20 11:34 PM
Nebraska
H
hunter88 Offline
Government Troll
hunter88  Offline
Government Troll
H

Nebraska
Originally Posted by WadeRyan

I don't want the death numbers to be inaccurate, I'm just showing you they are. I would hope what it would change is when Covid comes around for a second round the country doesn't lose its mind like it just did. Prevent this craziness from occurring twice. This will only be accomplished by showing how crazy the media has let this get out of hand.

Yes we don't want people to overreact next fall when this starts all over again. That is if it actually slows over the summer the way we all hope it will.

I think the key to remember is the media always wants people to watch them, so they have to make things bigger then they are. Whether we're talking Covid deaths or a bad economy, the media will make it worse then it is. But how people died is no longer driving the shut downs, and I think the majority of people understand this.

Actually I'm looking forward to the next 30 days to see how things go. If states that have opened are seeing more cases, we have to see more cases we're testing more, but the hospitals are able to handle things, what will the other states do. Oregon has almost 4 times as many people as Nebraska but just a few more deaths, yet their governor said she was extending their shut down till July. I don't think people will stand for it. It's going to be an interesting summer if states that opened don't have big problems, and other states stay locked down. The number of deaths excuse is meaningless when other states are open for business and are managing their cases without overloading their hospitals.

Of course there's still the possibility opening up will spike the cases to the point too many people need hospital care and they get overrun. We'll hope that is not the case.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: Steven 49er] #6862718
05/03/20 11:42 PM
05/03/20 11:42 PM
Nebraska
H
hunter88 Offline
Government Troll
hunter88  Offline
Government Troll
H

Nebraska

As more and more states open up, it will be interesting to see how those numbers go down.

An even more interesting time to check numbers will be when the extra $600 goes off unemployment. Too many people can make more money while sitting at home. I saw a small business owner went to all the work, and got the loan so they could pay their employees. But the employees were all ticked off, they wanted the unemployment with the extra $600. The small business owner couldn't believe her employees were all mad at her for trying to help.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: hunter88] #6862727
05/04/20 12:09 AM
05/04/20 12:09 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by hunter88

As more and more states open up, it will be interesting to see how those numbers go down.

An even more interesting time to check numbers will be when the extra $600 goes off unemployment. Too many people can make more money while sitting at home. I saw a small business owner went to all the work, and got the loan so they could pay their employees. But the employees were all ticked off, they wanted the unemployment with the extra $600. The small business owner couldn't believe her employees were all mad at her for trying to help.

So now the goal posts move. We might get over 10% in one of your comments but now that Steven has shown we've surpassed that and are already at 18% you resort to "it will be interesting to see how those numbers go down." No I don't think it will be interesting to see. Life is going to be hard for a lot of people. I also don't think the numbers are just going to go down. You can't just snap your fingers and expect the world to be what it was before Covid-19. No matter how bad you want to tell yourself we will just rebound. I am about the farthest person from a tin hat, prepper, or conspiracy theorist but the writing is on the wall.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6862841
05/04/20 08:33 AM
05/04/20 08:33 AM
Nebraska
H
hunter88 Offline
Government Troll
hunter88  Offline
Government Troll
H

Nebraska
Originally Posted by WadeRyan

So now the goal posts move. We might get over 10% in one of your comments but now that Steven has shown we've surpassed that and are already at 18% you resort to "it will be interesting to see how those numbers go down." No I don't think it will be interesting to see. Life is going to be hard for a lot of people. I also don't think the numbers are just going to go down. You can't just snap your fingers and expect the world to be what it was before Covid-19. No matter how bad you want to tell yourself we will just rebound. I am about the farthest person from a tin hat, prepper, or conspiracy theorist but the writing is on the wall.

The goal posts haven't moved, in the end it's always about the numbers going up and then going back down, and it will be interesting to see how fast that happens.

You must feel millions of businesses are going to close down, I believe you said something to that affect a while back. At least that's what it's going to take for your prediction of an economy that won't rebound in our lifetime to come true. It's interesting you don't like media driven hysteria about Covid deaths, yet it seems you have fully bought in to the media driven doom and gloom for our economy. Remember as far as the media is concerned a bad economy is the only thing that could possibly get Trump out of the oval office, so they're going to keep pushing it as hard as you do.

You won't snap your fingers and see all jobs come back, but they will come back. Some businesses will close, but others will open and provide new jobs.

You're right about one thing, the world isn't going to be like before Covid 19. One of the biggest changes I see is a distrust around the world for China, and I fully expect to see Trump exploit that distrust. American businesses will come home, seeing the disadvantage of doing business in China, and they will be bringing new jobs here. Other countries will shift to doing business with the US instead of China, looking for security, again meaning more new jobs here. This pandemic will change the world, but I feel when we're talking about the economy it will make it better for us not worse.

Look around the country. States are opening up, businesses are opening back up, and people are happy to be going back to work. States with governors that keep their people in forced lock downs are seeing those people protesting, wanting to go back to work. In those states the virus isn't keeping the doors closed on businesses, it's strictly politicians playing politics.

Now I am interested in one thing from your post, the bold part. Just what is the writing on the wall? I understand the world is filled with people that see the glass half empty instead of half full, but I'm wondering what writing on the wall you see that makes you feel the economy won't rebound in our lifetime.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: Steven 49er] #6862848
05/04/20 08:48 AM
05/04/20 08:48 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
The economy is not down "because of covid 19", it's been sliding since at least September.

This will not be a temporary blip.

A new candidate for the most rediculous thing ever posted.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6862879
05/04/20 09:34 AM
05/04/20 09:34 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
There's lies, dang lies, and statistics.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6863098
05/04/20 01:54 PM
05/04/20 01:54 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Covid killed some people before we started counting. If you die, your rate is 100%.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: walleye101] #6863412
05/04/20 09:04 PM
05/04/20 09:04 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by walleye101
The economy is not down "because of covid 19", it's been sliding since at least September.

This will not be a temporary blip.

A new candidate for the most rediculous thing ever posted.

I guess.

Do some research, BTW job numbers are typically a lagging indicator.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6863451
05/04/20 09:37 PM
05/04/20 09:37 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Since when did record unemployment rates become an indicator for an economic meltdown. In retrospect, I suppose, the unemployment rate can only get worse once it hits zero?

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: Steven 49er] #6863468
05/04/20 09:50 PM
05/04/20 09:50 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN

I guess.

It's going to take a little more than that to convince me covid 19 didn't cause the collapse of our economy.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6863473
05/04/20 09:53 PM
05/04/20 09:53 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I believe we will have an economic recovery similar to those following The Great Depression and the World Wars. There will be an economic boom created by businesses starting up in the U.S.A. after watching our food and drug supplies manipulated by China, as well as a host of other industries. Our freedom creates resilience and will allow us to recover quickly, given some decent leadership. It won't be overnight, but I see some steady economic growth bin our country once this ridiculousness is over. The Joker in this whole thing is all the " economic stimulus" plans being floated around. If there is any kind of monthly payment plan to the American populace, we are screwed. This whole thing stinks of a way for the Federal Government to take over the "broken" if not "broke" health care system. A lot of moving targets out there at this point. I am still holding cash until I see some positive movement towards the Republic we were founded on.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6863477
05/04/20 09:57 PM
05/04/20 09:57 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
"This whole thing stinks of a way for the Federal Government to take over the "broken" if not "broke" health care system."

You mean a socialized health care system like Italy? We saw how that worked.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: walleye101] #6863547
05/04/20 11:12 PM
05/04/20 11:12 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by walleye101

I guess.

It's going to take a little more than that to convince me covid 19 didn't cause the collapse of our economy.

. I said the economy has been sliding since September. Three rate cuts in 2019, the Fed firing up the printing presses back in September that doesn't happen when things are healthy.

Our economy hasn't collapsed yet.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6863616
05/05/20 02:06 AM
05/05/20 02:06 AM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
What go happen when trump find out who in China responsible for careless incident of releasing viris unintentionally or even intentional from lab ? Nothing ? China military supposably more powerful US, when I heard it was man made viris., I believe it, something very like flu, no, I don't believe it, others say, that I read trssh when it say release from lab, well turn out I right , official now. It on news,

Last edited by coonman220; 05/05/20 02:24 AM.
Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: coonman220] #6863710
05/05/20 07:57 AM
05/05/20 07:57 AM
Nebraska
H
hunter88 Offline
Government Troll
hunter88  Offline
Government Troll
H

Nebraska
Originally Posted by coonman220
What go happen when trump find out who in China responsible for careless incident of releasing viris unintentionally or even intentional from lab ? Nothing ? China military supposably more powerful US, when I heard it was man made viris., I believe it, something very like flu, no, I don't believe it, others say, that I read trssh when it say release from lab, well turn out I right , official now. It on news,

I think there was a pretty good chance all along they had an accident and the virus got out of the lab.But in the end I don't think that's what will hurt China the most.

China hid the outbreak on day one so they could stockpile medical supplies before any other countries knew there would be a need. Then when information came out about the virus they downplayed the severity to continue stockpiling medical supplies. That is what's going to hurt them the most with everyone else around the world.

Most countries can't do much about it, though I did see the UK may be changing their mind on China handling their 5K. The US has the best shot at doing something that will have an affect, and they can do that economically. A lot of people complained about the tariffs Trump placed on China, but in the end they worked, and China had to come around. A side benefit to that was some companies saw the advantage of moving back home with jobs, and now with the virus even more companies will make that move.

Once things settle down here a little I think you will see Trump go after China economically as a way to make them pay for what happened. Maybe this is one time it pays to have a businessman in office instead of a career politician.

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: trapperkeck] #6863856
05/05/20 10:12 AM
05/05/20 10:12 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I believe we will have an economic recovery similar to those following The Great Depression and the World Wars. There will be an economic boom created by businesses starting up in the U.S.A. after watching our food and drug supplies manipulated by China, as well as a host of other industries. Our freedom creates resilience and will allow us to recover quickly, given some decent leadership. It won't be overnight, but I see some steady economic growth bin our country once this ridiculousness is over. The Joker in this whole thing is all the " economic stimulus" plans being floated around. If there is any kind of monthly payment plan to the American populace, we are screwed. This whole thing stinks of a way for the Federal Government to take over the "broken" if not "broke" health care system. A lot of moving targets out there at this point. I am still holding cash until I see some positive movement towards the Republic we were founded on.

I will let you read this as I am not going to point out all the highlights. I've never considered myself much of an economist but it's pretty crystal clear. As to being similar to the Great Depression and World Wars and then the words "will allow us to recover quickly," from all information I can find the recovery took at minimum 10 years. I don't find that too quickly personally but everyone has their own idea of quickly.

https://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/recovery.htm

I also like this graph..
[Linked Image]

The stimulus money is definitely another issue at hand. People are making more money staying home on "unemployment" then they did when they were working. What makes you guys think they are going to jump right back into the labor force?

I think anyone in their right mind has seen how government provided healthcare worked for Italy. It would be madness to fall into that mess. I do find it interesting finally, after weeks of me mentioning it they are finally coming out with studies that show ventilating patients was the wrong choice.

"Mortality rates for those who received mechanical ventilation in the 18-to-65 and older-than-65 age groups were 76.4% and 97.2%, respectively. Mortality rates for those in the 18-to-65 and older-than-65 age groups who did not receive mechanical ventilation were 19.8% and 26.6%, respectively (JAMA, 2020)."

Once again something that might have been able to be avoided if there wasn't such a fear of the virus itself ran wild with by the media. Some protocols I have seen were intubating patients at 92% oxygen saturation. We typically don't even apply oxygen to someone until they are below 90% and these people were being intubated.

I'm not sure holding your cash or burying it in the yard is a great choice at this moment. At some point that cash might be worthless. I've done rather well over the last month and a half. Seeing some 30% to 60% daily gains on different stocks. I've got some in for the long haul but I am jumping in the "don't let a crisis go to waste," boat.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 05/05/20 10:31 AM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Covid-Death rates in the United States. [Re: WadeRyan] #6863867
05/05/20 10:22 AM
05/05/20 10:22 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
It is my opinion the last depression took so long to recover from because Roosevelt's implementation of socialism.

I dont see any good coming from all this stimulous either. I am beginning to suspect the reason this virus thing was, and is, so overblown, was to create a reason for a stimulus package. Keep all the plates spinning and balanced

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread