No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811665
03/21/20 06:00 PM
03/21/20 06:00 PM
nebraska
P
playin4funami Offline
trapper
playin4funami  Offline
trapper
P

nebraska
stubborn headstrong dogs, after the first three years they calm down somewhat, but not much,lol. they do not understand their size and will take on just about anything, mine has gone down badger holes and come back out with some very mad critters, they are also very territorial and too protective. i love mine, she's awesome, but next dog will absolutely not be a jrt.

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811669
03/21/20 06:04 PM
03/21/20 06:04 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline OP
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline OP
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Well we went and checked him out parents not on sight good looking dog but was told dad has eye problems. Left and the wife got a rash from either the dog or the shampoo as he had just had a bath. Doesn't look like we will be getting that dog but now that My Wife and The Boy have it in their heads the hunt is on.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811677
03/21/20 06:14 PM
03/21/20 06:14 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
The fella I bought pheasants from also raised JRTs. When the flight pens were emptied, he’d let loose the dogs inside to kill rats that were living there. Those thing would go crazy....digging, chasing, flinging rats in the air. In a few hours, there were 40 dead rats to gather up.

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811698
03/21/20 06:28 PM
03/21/20 06:28 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

look into a nice black Labrador mix from a shelter.

they come in two styles....lots of energy and lazy as "heck".

oh yeah...the puppies CHEW!

Last edited by white marlin; 03/21/20 06:41 PM.
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811734
03/21/20 06:50 PM
03/21/20 06:50 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline OP
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline OP
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Yeah we are looking for a medium at most sized dog but one with at least some prey drive. I dont really care if it's a mutt just dont want a house only dog. I'm not gonna feed another animal who doesn't have a job.

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811832
03/21/20 07:48 PM
03/21/20 07:48 PM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
One white foot buy him two white feet try him three white feet be on the sly four white feet pass him buy but I don't hold with that (True Grit).

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811835
03/21/20 07:49 PM
03/21/20 07:49 PM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

regardless of what you choose...please look at several shelters.

bunch of really good canines who need a good home!

all of ours have been shelter dogs, and with the right love, ALL have been GREAT companions!

edit: the last two have/had white toes on more than one foot.

Last edited by white marlin; 03/21/20 07:51 PM.
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811874
03/21/20 08:20 PM
03/21/20 08:20 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
We have a German shepherd and a tri color boarder collie. The boarder collie looks more like an Australian shepherd in color. She is a great dog had killed groundhogs, will not leave baby animals sides watching over them like a protector. Chicks,kittens, bunnies, it doesn't matter. She is good with the kids and the most spoiled dog we have ever had. Very smart. Loves to run. We run them around the farm in the gator. When the Germans shepherd is done and out that little boarder collie is just getting started. She has no bottom. I recommend them

The german shepherd is larger than you want. Is not nearly as smart .she is a better watch dog. But the barking at every noise outside dose get annoying at times. She is much more intimidating when strangers are at the door and that's why we bought her for my daughter. I couldn't tell my 10 year old daughter she couldn't go for a walk and run the local ditches and water ways exploring. I also could not legally have her pack a hand gun with her. So I figured a nice large dog would make a good deterrent to any with I'll intentions.

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6811981
03/21/20 09:41 PM
03/21/20 09:41 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline OP
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline OP
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Was looking at mtn feists too and am probably leaning that way the temperament seems to be better on average over JRT's. We live in town but have a big yard and friends have small kids not baby's but very young. I have no direct knowledge of either breed but reading about them the feists look a bit better for our house.

Opinions?

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6812007
03/21/20 10:05 PM
03/21/20 10:05 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Was looking at mtn feists too and am probably leaning that way the temperament seems to be better on average over JRT's. We live in town but have a big yard and friends have small kids not baby's but very young. I have no direct knowledge of either breed but reading about them the feists look a bit better for our house.

Opinions?

They are popular squirrel dogs. I have wanted one for a while but I'm gone from home half a month so.it wouldn't really be my dog. It would be the family's. The wife has enough to take car of. On top of that I would not have enough time to hunt it hard enough same reasons I don't have beagles.

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6812062
03/21/20 10:43 PM
03/21/20 10:43 PM
North Carolina
B
Bucknuts Offline
trapper
Bucknuts  Offline
trapper
B

North Carolina
Mines full of energy. Loves my little man and won't back down from any dog no matter the size. Only bad thing is she sheds like crazy! Especially when she went in heat. She would come inside and in 5 minutes I would have enough hair on my lap to make another dog!. One of the best pups I have ever owned.

Screenshot_20200321-223905~2.png
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6812117
03/21/20 11:18 PM
03/21/20 11:18 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Guess I will throw my nickle in on this.

Growing up we had 3 that I can think of. One my Mom got as a put. She ended up as a boob. Mostly a lap dog. Very high energy tho. I did have to dig her out of a rabbit/woodchuck hole once. Rather laid back for the most part as she got older. She was a small short haired one.

The next two were gotten at a couple years old. One was a small medium haired one. She took to my Dad. He couldn't move with out her being there with him. She also loved to hunt. She learned real quick that when I grabbed a gun or put on my orange I was going hunting. She would find a way out of the house and find me on the other side of the swamp. That or she would find me out shooting where she would try to dig up the bullets or jump up in front of the gun to catch the bullet while your were trying to shoot. She also loved it when we would set the trap up to shoot clays. You had to sit there with a long stick to keep her back from it or she would grab the bird out of the trap. More than once she got hit by the trap. One time she was on the dozer with Dad and they ran over a yellow jackets nest. She sat on his lap biting at them little buggers. Dad had to toss her to the ground so she wouldn't get stung any more. Dad road the dozer out of that mess. She was laid up for a few days. As much as I hated that dang dog then I sure due wish I could go hunting with her again. Out of all the dogs my Mom had that is the only one that I can say that about. Her passion for hunting and shooting was only equaled by mine.

The third one was one of the bigger ones with short hair. Again gotten when she was 3-5 years old. Not a bad dog but one that I would keep a very close eye on if there were kids around (and mine were often). She never went after them but she was very territorial. She growl and snarl if you got by her 'stuff'. A swift swat and she was back to normal. She hated cats. She would do whatever it took to get one if she saw it. She also had a quirk about touching her butt. You couldn't pet her hind quarters or she would go after you. She wasn't fond of being picked up either.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6812132
03/21/20 11:27 PM
03/21/20 11:27 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline OP
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline OP
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Thanks everyone this will probably be a bit of a long process but My Wife and I are not ones to jump into things without planning, and I like the personal experiences shared on this sight so keep them coming and if anyone knows another breed that is smallish has at least some prey drive I am all ears.

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6812246
03/22/20 01:49 AM
03/22/20 01:49 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I have a 14 month old mountain feist. Smart as a tack, is either going 100 mph or sleeping. has so far been a pretty good squirrel dog. He is great with people once he settles down. He does like to jump up on folks when they first show up. I am getting that out of him fairly well. His worse problem is, he wants to hump everything. Drives me nuts and getting him to stop has been a chore.

Like I said though, he is great with people overall. he was very easily house broke, and although hard headed he learns about anything real fast. Just for fun I have taught him to go get my house shoes every night. Didn't take but about a week and he would see me taking my boots off and take off for my house shoes. My wife can't believe it.

He will fight about any critter he catches, but it takes him forever to get the upper hand on most of them.

I have had many dogs and I will put him up at the top or very near the top of all of them.

Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Providence Farm] #6812315
03/22/20 07:15 AM
03/22/20 07:15 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
She likes it it's a done deal even if everyone said they were worse than having a cat.
I have never had one so cant comment personally but hav heard they ate great high energy dogs.
It's a cute puppy enjoy it.

They eat other dogs?

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Cragar] #6812365
03/22/20 07:49 AM
03/22/20 07:49 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by Cragar
I've had a couple of JRT's

Great dogs , very intelligent. I was able to housebreak my first one in several days. The way I was able to do that was bribery. I took the dog out very frequently at first , if the dog did its business , it immediately got a kibble of food. By the 3-4th day it learned how to 'fake it'. She would squat and look at you for the food. That is how smart they are.

Some idioms about JRT's -
'A big dog in a small package ' they can take on bigger 2X-3X sized dogs and win consistently.
'Happiness is owning a JRT-Happiness is being owned by a JRT' They will very quickly become the Alpha animal in the pack. Even if the other animals in your house have been there for years and are larger , the JRT becomes the alpha. Almost Chuck Norris type status , you are the alpha in your household just because the JRT lets you be the alpha.

Thatt's funny stuff there Crager, but all true. My trapline dog, is half jagt and half airedale. great dog and won't back down from any coyote or critter, but is submissive (most of the time) with the little turd. Dolly rules the roost, and the one I had before was the same. I really like the part you wrote, "happiness is being owned by a jrt"!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: Trap Setter] #6812387
03/22/20 08:09 AM
03/22/20 08:09 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
[Linked Image]
Here is zip she is the best dog I have ever owned let me rephrase that she is the best dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing time with. I didn't pick her she chose me the day I went to pick up a pup from the litter I had some others in mind to get. Matter of fact the people that had the dog's sent me some pictures and I had mind made up and she just showed me she was going home with me.

Last edited by bandy; 03/22/20 08:21 AM.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Wife thinks it's time [Re: lee steinmeyer] #6812390
03/22/20 08:10 AM
03/22/20 08:10 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
[Linked Image]
My Jack's are awesome.