No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Coyote vocals=litter size #6784454
02/26/20 11:14 PM
02/26/20 11:14 PM
Pennsylvania
PARick Offline OP
trapper
PARick  Offline OP
trapper

Pennsylvania
Rumor has it, that when coyotes howl at night and they don’t get any response it triggers a gizmo in them to cause higher litter amounts...thus making coyote killing worthless......

First off I call bs because I cannot locate any studies to support this. But I guess a book called coyote America by dan Flores talks about it and also the meat eater guy talks about it also.

So what’s the deal is it just anti propaganda or is there a truth. If true I’d like to know where to find the study.

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784461
02/26/20 11:18 PM
02/26/20 11:18 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
I don’t have any facts to back it up, but I believe it’s true. I think litter sizes are affected in all animals based on how many of them there are in an area.
Probably goes down to the stress of the female that decides the litter size. More competition = more stress = more fighting = smaller litters.

Cold as ice!
Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784465
02/26/20 11:21 PM
02/26/20 11:21 PM
Pennsylvania
PARick Offline OP
trapper
PARick  Offline OP
trapper

Pennsylvania
Could be true, a lot of studies support the idea of the populations increase and decrease with the prey population

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784475
02/26/20 11:31 PM
02/26/20 11:31 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I would think the weight, age, stress level and overall condition of the mother coyote would be the primary determiners of litter size. It would not greatly surprise me if there was an auditory cue that helps determine litter size too, but I think it's unlikely. I have never read a study that says coyotes use an auditory cue to determine litter size.

If I had the financial backing, I would love to do a study and project on coyotes. I would have to get the state and a university to cooperate first.

I just questioned two Ohio coyote breeders on coyote breeding and behavior, one on Sunday and one on Monday.

Keith

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: KeithC] #6784488
02/26/20 11:48 PM
02/26/20 11:48 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by KeithC
I would think the weight, age, stress level and overall condition of the mother coyote would be the primary determiners of litter size. It would not greatly surprise me if there was an auditory cue that helps determine litter size too, but I think it's unlikely.
Keith

I tend to agree with Kieth on this. To me it is the most logical explanation. Imagine the same mother on yrs where her cut of the carrying capacity of the land is bountiful. She could make lots of pops and there would be enough game for all to theoretically survive. Imagine the contrast of her in poor condition barely surviving. He body would tend to produce fewer eggs.

In cattle a less than perfect body condition results in breeding back later and later but we men have taken great measures to manipulate their genetics. Coyotes are still survival of the fittest.

The cynical side of me imagines this is brought to you by the same ppl who say coyotes only eat mice. (SMDH)

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784490
02/26/20 11:51 PM
02/26/20 11:51 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
If I remember correctly...

Coyotes are density specific breeders. I believe this is a characteristic that is not shared by all animals.

I think I read this in Mark June's book....I'm pretty sure of it and it was full of excellent info. There most certainly is plenty published on the subject. I always thought Mark's book was priceless

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784492
02/26/20 11:53 PM
02/26/20 11:53 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
I have heard for years the more you take out of the population the bigger the litter sizes get. I don't know what triggers it but seems to be true.

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784494
02/26/20 11:56 PM
02/26/20 11:56 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

MNCedar I should read that book. If what June writes is correct a by product would be how often and in what number vocalizations are returned a byproduct of what is really taking place.

It would be almost as obvious a mistake as studying the extinction of the woolly mammoths as the ice age ended and coming up with the idea climate change isnt natural but instead caused by aerosol cans and engines that burn fossil fuels. LMBO at scientists who cannot think for themselves.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784514
02/27/20 12:18 AM
02/27/20 12:18 AM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
I remember I worked over Mark and Slim’s books with highlighters like I was studying for a test

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: Leftlane] #6784524
02/27/20 12:43 AM
02/27/20 12:43 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Leftlane

MNCedar I should read that book. If what June writes is correct a by product would be how often and in what number vocalizations are returned a byproduct of what is really taking place.

It would be almost as obvious a mistake as studying the extinction of the woolly mammoths as the ice age ended and coming up with the idea climate change isnt natural but instead caused by aerosol cans and engines that burn fossil fuels. LMBO at scientists who cannot think for themselves.

Or changing the old example, like saying eating more ice cream during the Summer makes the weather hotter because there is a positive correlation between the two.

Keith

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784527
02/27/20 12:50 AM
02/27/20 12:50 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline
trapper
kyron4  Offline
trapper
K

Indiana
I had heard this theory also , there was a guy on a Joe Rogen's pod cast playing in the carpool last year and the guy said it was unique to coyotes and this is why wolves could be wiped out of an area but coyotes could not. Well 150 years ago there were wolves in Indiana and no coyotes , now no wolves and lots of coyotes.

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: ~ADC~] #6784534
02/27/20 01:02 AM
02/27/20 01:02 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I have heard for years the more you take out of the population the bigger the litter sizes get. I don't know what triggers it but seems to be true.

I think that would only hold true if the habitat could support higher numbers.
Also, with larger litter sizes one would expect a greater absolute number of pups to die early assuming that the RATE of mortality remained the same. In the end, the overall population ..going into trapping season should be about the same.

In wolves, pack size is directly related to habitat and available prey. I would think it's the same for coyotes. A population should be able to sustain significant harvest as long as the breeding pair is not harvested.

As far as coyotes increasing reproduction based on vocalization............I don't think I'd put a lot of reliability on that. It may be an additive indicator but I think others would be better.

I suspect they can tell about how many critters are on the landscape by visual and olfactory cues. They must see each other and certainly see and smell scats and scent posts. I would think these for better clues than howling.

But the bottom line would be...is there enough to eat ? The bigger the pack, the less each mouth gets to eat.

The other thing that we have no way to measure is immigration. A pack may increase by dispersal from an adjacent population. We wouldn't know whether the increase was from bigger litters or more immigration.

Mean As Nails
Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784564
02/27/20 03:15 AM
02/27/20 03:15 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I always thought it had to do with feed. Domestic dogs have big litters when females are in cages that are side by side by side at a breeder for the pet market. They get fed well. Never miss a meal. You kill a bunch the ones left eat better and easier.

Kiethc where is the profit in breeding coyotes?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: danny clifton] #6784588
02/27/20 06:43 AM
02/27/20 06:43 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I always thought it had to do with feed. Domestic dogs have big litters when females are in cages that are side by side by side at a breeder for the pet market. They get fed well. Never miss a meal. You kill a bunch the ones left eat better and easier.

Kiethc where is the profit in breeding coyotes?

The breeder I talked to in Dayton on Monday has not even had the coyote pups conceived yet and took deposits selling them for $500.00 each for pets. She stopped taking deposits in just a few days. This is her 4th year doing it.

The other breeder I talked to is planning to sell their coyote pups for $600.00. They want to buy a crossbred pup from Katie, my coyote and my dog Eli for $1000.00. I am a little worried that Eli may be to old to breed. He's around 12 or 14 years old.

There is a proven coyote, German shorthair pair online right now for $3000.00. They had pups online last year, that looked lime black German shorthairs for $2000.00 and then reduced to $1200.00 for the last 2.

https://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/search

Keith

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784593
02/27/20 06:59 AM
02/27/20 06:59 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
There are so many variables at play, especially for the potential of wild animal progeny. There’s no way you could cite one thing as making bigger litters, except more food. All animals of a certain species have some variance of breeding ability. Then take into account how many offspring reach maturity. All Moms are not created equal. Not in fertility, not in birthing ability and not in rearing ability.

Last edited by tomahawker; 02/27/20 07:05 AM.
Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784595
02/27/20 07:02 AM
02/27/20 07:02 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
they must have different coyotes than we do if those pups stay gentle

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784605
02/27/20 07:16 AM
02/27/20 07:16 AM
IA
N
Nick C Offline
trapper
Nick C  Offline
trapper
N

IA
There was a biologist (I forgot his name) on Predator Masters years ago that explained the more you kill the bigger the litter size is not some miracle from mother nature. It has everything to do with population dynamics of the female. Howling or lack thereof would have no affect on litter size either.

The jist of his explanation is that a heavy harvest on a population of coyotes in an “area” would typically kill more younger female coyotes, thus leaving more older females than younger females to be bred. Older females on average have less pup mortality than young of year female coyotes, so it would appear that the litter size increases when you kill off a lot of coyotes, when in reality the female coyotes that survived the harvest were actually just better at raising/keeping pups alive. In the circumstance that there isn’t a heavy harvest, more young of the year female coyotes would get bred and have litters, but due to their inexperience/ability to mother it would appear the overall average litter size in that area decreased. When you just have more younger female coyotes having pups and not being able to raise them like an older experienced adult coyote.

I hope that explanation makes sense, it does to me. I can relate it to my experience raising ranch fox. If I had an option to have 20 female fox, Id much rather have 3-4 year old females who have all raised a litter every year, than to have 20 young of the year 1st time females. I’d bet a lot on the older female group weaning a larger average litter size than the pup female group. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784622
02/27/20 07:39 AM
02/27/20 07:39 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I'm thinking If you really want to find out at least one piece of the puzzle you could go out in NOV and trap coyotes. Pair up about 20 pairs of male and female. Collect urine till the middleof Dec. to help pay for it all and acclimate the coyotes to cages.. Full feed for half the pairs, and the other pair gets full feed every 4th day. A good brand of dog food when collection is finished. Of course when the pups are born what do you do with them? I could not in good conscience tell somebody they will be pets and sell them. I guess when the pups get their eyes open you could release all of them.

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784634
02/27/20 08:05 AM
02/27/20 08:05 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I always snicker at the “leaving some for seed” comment when it comes to coyotes. People down here have been trying to rid the landscape of them since they first arrived. One might think he’s wiped out the population in an area, but the following year other coyotes have filled in the gap.
Less competition will bring on more heavier litters. Mother Nature will take care of itself with coyotes. I took 15 off a place last year until I couldn’t even find a track or any pics on the game cams. The place is now crawling with them again.
I could see where a howl with no answer could trigger a coyote to have an increased litter. Especially in an area with an abundance of food.

Re: Coyote vocals=litter size [Re: PARick] #6784682
02/27/20 08:56 AM
02/27/20 08:56 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I've always thought it was more of a function of more food = greater survivability of the pups.

The pressure/howl theory demands that the females know there is pressure or that they don't have neighbors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread