Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trap or Snare for Predators [Re: bfisch] #6708740
12/28/19 04:58 PM
12/28/19 04:58 PM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Location and weather would tell me what to set.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Trap or Snare for Predators [Re: bfisch] #6710529
12/29/19 11:50 PM
12/29/19 11:50 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
The biggest thing I have against snares. . .

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap or Snare for Predators [Re: bfisch] #6710754
12/30/19 10:56 AM
12/30/19 10:56 AM
SK
S
Saskayote Offline
trapper
Saskayote  Offline
trapper
S

SK
Snares. Economy reasons, weight reasons, lethal reasons, way easier reasons. Hardly set footholds anymore. They are expensive up here, they are harder to keep operating. Hard to make foothold sets look natural when it doesn’t snow much to forgive the mess made in the snow. In five years of snaring I have had zero snare failures. I could write a book about how many times coyotes have pranced on my frozen and drifted in traps, how I have lost traps until spring when snowstorms cover them, and catching non target animals.

If I was trapping in the summery conditions of y’all in the south, I would do more foot holding. I can set a snare many times faster in my conditions than a foothold.

That being said, I love footholding. It’s just that conditions here are quite brutal for legholds, and snaring is so easy it isn’t even funny. I want to catch fur and protect my sheep and make money. Snares allow for that. Legholds simply are relatively, exponentially less effective under my conditions.

Last edited by Saskayote; 12/30/19 10:57 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91