Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Nome #6704588
12/24/19 02:08 PM
12/24/19 02:08 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline OP
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline OP
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
I will be at the Nome for the BOG meeting in January (15-21), I would like to meet any trappers from that area. Would like to know if you have any issues that i can address. Have a Merry Christmas and a safe trapping season.

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6704625
12/24/19 03:15 PM
12/24/19 03:15 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Would appreciate support on proposal 119

Mean As Nails
Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6705619
12/25/19 01:58 PM
12/25/19 01:58 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

While we are on the subject of BOG proposals, has anyone ever suggested changing the prohibition on the use of artificial light?
Page 13, YOU MAY NOT: "take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light....."
I'll bet this regulation gets violated all the time. Have you ever dispatched a trapped furbearer with a firearm while wearing a head lamp?
Also, it would be nice to be able to do some predator calling while it's dark. It's hard to believe that in California you can shoot a coyote at night with artificial light, but not in Alaska.
Just seems odd to me that the darkest State in the union is one of the few States that prohibits shooting predators at night with the aid of a light.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6705749
12/25/19 05:04 PM
12/25/19 05:04 PM
Goldstream Valley, AK
B
bairdi Offline
trapper
bairdi  Offline
trapper
B

Goldstream Valley, AK
Merry Xmas waggler, Correct me if I’m wrong but after looking at the trapping regs, it appears you can use artificial light to take furbearers in GMUs 7 and 9-26 from the 1st of Nov - 31 March during an open season. The wording is not as clear as it could be, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it is saying. It’s on page 13 of the trapping regs, midway down. I’m assuming artificial light is not legal for the units that cover Kodiak, PWS, and Southeast because of potential issues with spotlighting deer?

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6705756
12/25/19 05:21 PM
12/25/19 05:21 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^
If artificial light is allowed in the units you mentioned, then I suppose the reason you suggested (spot lighting) might be correct. However, I think the spotlighting is a non-issue anyway, probably made sense to someone at sometime.
I would think if it were an issue it would be very evident in the lower 48 where thousands of people call and shoot predators at night with artificial light.

Re: Nome [Re: waggler] #6706454
12/26/19 02:03 PM
12/26/19 02:03 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline OP
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline OP
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Originally Posted by waggler
While we are on the subject of BOG proposals, has anyone ever suggested changing the prohibition on the use of artificial light?
Page 13, YOU MAY NOT: "take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light....."
I'll bet this regulation gets violated all the time. Have you ever dispatched a trapped furbearer with a firearm while wearing a head lamp?
Also, it would be nice to be able to do some predator calling while it's dark. It's hard to believe that in California you can shoot a coyote at night with artificial light, but not in Alaska.
Just seems odd to me that the darkest State in the union is one of the few States that prohibits shooting predators at night with the aid of a light.

Waggler, i don't have my reg book in front of me, but i do have a current codified. It states in 5 AAC 92.080(7)(C) Artificial light may be use ; (i) for the purpose of taking furbearers under a trapping license during an open season November 1-March 31 in units 7 and 9- 26.

Odd about units 1-6. not being able to take furbearers with artificial light in those units. must be about spot lighting deer. I will check on that.

Taking "fur animals" fall under a hunting license and hunting seasons and bag limit, commonly referred to predator calling or hunting. Under 5 AAC 92.090, the regulation dose not restrict a licensed hunter from using artificial light to take "fur animals" during an open season.

Fur animals are: beaver, coyote, arctic fox, red fox, lynx, flying squirrel, ground squirrel, or red squirrel. fur animal is a classification of animals subject to taking with a hunting license.

Hope the mud is clearer now. blush

Last edited by isnarewolves; 12/26/19 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6706475
12/26/19 02:41 PM
12/26/19 02:41 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline OP
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline OP
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Waggler, you asked the question; "I'll bet this regulation gets violated all the time. Have you ever dispatched a trapped furbearer with a firearm while wearing a head lamp?"

Do you believe you can not dispatch a furbearer caught in a trap with the aid of headlamp, in units 1-6 and unit 8?

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6706544
12/26/19 04:43 PM
12/26/19 04:43 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
To complicate certain non-sense further, here in southeast, we can use sport-caught pink and chum salmon for crab bait, but not for trapping bait, (other than head, tail, bones, and guts).
You can, however use subsistence-caught fish of any flavor, (unless you live in Juneau or Ketchikan, of course).

Last edited by alaska viking; 12/26/19 04:43 PM.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Nome [Re: alaska viking] #6706574
12/26/19 05:27 PM
12/26/19 05:27 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline OP
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline OP
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Originally Posted by alaska viking
To complicate certain non-sense further, here in southeast, we can use sport-caught pink and chum salmon for crab bait, but not for trapping bait, (other than head, tail, bones, and guts).
You can, however use subsistence-caught fish of any flavor, (unless you live in Juneau or Ketchikan, of course).

AK, why can't you use subsistence caught fish for trapping bait? what regulation exempts those who live in Juneau or Ketchinan?

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6706647
12/26/19 06:50 PM
12/26/19 06:50 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Federal. We are "urban", rather than "rural".
Actually, I find the whole conversation of "use of legally harvested fish and game" somewhat silly. You punch your tag, or fill your creel, you own it, for better or worse. You can throw it in a dumpster, but not in a wolverine cubbie, for example.

Re: Nome [Re: alaska viking] #6706678
12/26/19 07:09 PM
12/26/19 07:09 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline OP
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline OP
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Originally Posted by alaska viking
Federal. We are "urban", rather than "rural".
Actually, I find the whole conversation of "use of legally harvested fish and game" somewhat silly. You punch your tag, or fill your creel, you own it, for better or worse. You can throw it in a dumpster, but not in a wolverine cubbie, for example.

That what i was thinking. But federal regulations only apply on federal land and if non-federally qualified person are restricted from participating in an opportunity. This means if you harvest your subsistence fish under a state or state/federal permit, and non-federally qualified are allowed to trap on federal land, state regulations allow those fish for bait. Also the state has jurisdiction to the normal high water mark.

I also agree with your wolverine example. We are over regulated in some of these cases.

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6706755
12/26/19 08:28 PM
12/26/19 08:28 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
You have your work cut out, my friend. I will see you in 2 years, for the southeast cycle.
Please give my best wishes to Ted.
I sure hope he writes a book, someday. A great person.

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6706920
12/26/19 10:10 PM
12/26/19 10:10 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by isnarewolves
Waggler, you asked the question; "I'll bet this regulation gets violated all the time. Have you ever dispatched a trapped furbearer with a firearm while wearing a head lamp?"

Do you believe you can not dispatch a furbearer caught in a trap with the aid of headlamp, in units 1-6 and unit 8?

That would be my understanding; again,
"YOU MAY NOT: take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light....."

Seems pretty clear to me; even if it's debatable, I sure as heck know how an over zealous enforcement agent is going to interpret it.

Seems like the notion such a ban in SE might be to stop deer spotlighting. If that's the case I suppose a rather bold shiner could say he was spotlighting for squirrels (a fur animal) and then he'd be in the clear.

There is such a hodgepodge of rules that have been enacted over time, some conflicting with each other, I imagine a cleaver attorney could get just about anyone off, maybe that's what it's all about. I think the regs need a complete house cleaning.

The issue that AKV brought up about when it's legal to use a humpy for bait and when not to is a good example of regs run amok. Of course, I sort of understand the intent, but practically speaking, how is anybody going to be able to tell how the humpy was harvested, and who really cares; it's a humpy!!

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6706988
12/26/19 10:43 PM
12/26/19 10:43 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Well, then there is the law that, as long as it has been processed. Commercially, you can indeed use it for bait. No kidding. Bring your receipt.

Last edited by alaska viking; 12/26/19 10:44 PM.

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6707130
12/27/19 12:18 AM
12/27/19 12:18 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^^
I have a friend who does exactly that. Also, along with a gift receipt from a native for his stinky seal bait.

There was an enforcement agent a couple towns south of you just a few years ago who was a real nut case, he'd literally make it up as he went along. You had to cover every possible contingency with this guy.
Thankfully he moved along to a Federal enforcement agency; NOAA I think, good riddance.

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6707154
12/27/19 12:56 AM
12/27/19 12:56 AM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
That would be my understanding; again,

Might not mean dispatching a critter that is already "taken" in a trap. Much like the line that says you can't land and shoot a furbearer, unless you are landing and shooting one that is already in a trap.

Last edited by smalltimetrapper; 12/27/19 12:57 AM.
Re: Nome [Re: smalltimetrapper] #6707200
12/27/19 04:56 AM
12/27/19 04:56 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
[quote=smalltimetrapper]That would be my understanding; again,

Might not mean dispatching a critter that is already "taken" in a trap. Much like the line that says you can't land and shoot a furbearer, unless you are landing and shooting one that is already in a trap.[/q"uote]

And many of the problems with our laws and regs can be traced back to the all-encompassing statutory definition of the word "Take!"

It includes "taking, PURSUING, hunting, fishing, trapping of in any manner disturbing, capturing or killing or ATTEMPTING to take, pursue, hunt, fish, trap or by any manner capture or kill fish or game."

I recall making the following argument when I was on the BOG... You are required to punch your harvest ticket when you "take" a big game animal, and the word "take" is statutorily defined (among other things) as "pursuing" game. So technically when you step into the field with a rifle to PURSUE a moose, you should immediately punch your harvest ticket, right?

And the "wizards of smart" all said, "No, of course not....!" But that IS what it says! So they have the option of citing us at that point!

I hate that you have to have a lawyer with you while you are in the field....!

Pete

Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6707706
12/27/19 04:50 PM
12/27/19 04:50 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline
trapper

western alaska
I would like to meet up with you and discuss proposals for unit 22 with you anytime.

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: Nome [Re: isnarewolves] #6709817
12/29/19 02:54 PM
12/29/19 02:54 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Viking, all residents of Alaska are subsistence users under state Regs. If you harvest fish under subsistence means, it is subsistence caught fish. I would assume that there are state subsistence methods available in your area. Some parts of Alaska have designated rod and reel as a subsistence means of taking. Should be several subsistence means in the ocean around you.
mt

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman