Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What traps to get [Re: HunterRuss] #6699268
12/19/19 08:59 PM
12/19/19 08:59 PM
Nebraska
H
HunterRuss Offline OP
trapper
HunterRuss  Offline OP
trapper
H

Nebraska
I got my trapping privileges taken away. gonna take some real haggling and time. dont think ill get this season. but maybe i will. would still like tips!!

Last edited by HunterRuss; 12/19/19 10:58 PM.

Im a primitive/traditional bowyer. the only glass i use is for flintknapping!
Re: What traps to get [Re: HunterRuss] #6699274
12/19/19 09:00 PM
12/19/19 09:00 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by HunterRuss
once i buy the traps what do i do to prepare them?

Find the “Archives” and use the search button, then spend the next several hours getting answers to any question you may have.

Re: What traps to get [Re: Wanna Be] #6699286
12/19/19 09:12 PM
12/19/19 09:12 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Well I have caught about everything in my 550s too. That includes 3 wild turkey and the same animals you speak of. They are the exception not the rule on my line. I even caught a small house cat. I do provide a little "step down" on my walk through too. I even use 4 spring.

Re: What traps to get [Re: HunterRuss] #6699314
12/19/19 09:34 PM
12/19/19 09:34 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Mine are just 2 coil offsets. Don’t need anything faster or larger it seems. I wish mine was the exception...especially on possums, lol. Started trying to deploy DP’s before or with the footholds.

Re: What traps to get [Re: Wanna Be] #6699361
12/19/19 10:09 PM
12/19/19 10:09 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
With opossum and coon hides priced so low, no one is huntin up here by me. Bunches killed on road. I trap year around and get rid of all that stuff I can because they are rough on ground nesting birds like your turkey and quail. I don't do it for the public, just the folks I work for. Box traps really effective.

Re: What traps to get [Re: HunterRuss] #6699445
12/19/19 11:36 PM
12/19/19 11:36 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I trap plantations during the Spring and early Summer as well. Still manage to catch about the same numbers every year. What’s strange right now is the numbers are low...come March they’ll be back. It’s like they know where to go for food...quail and turkey eggs.

Re: What traps to get [Re: thedude055] #6700029
12/20/19 03:19 PM
12/20/19 03:19 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by thedude055
Originally Posted by HunterRuss

I dont feel like i can use snares well. I mean how am i going to make an animal put his head through a wire loop?? I would love to use snare dont get me wrong. but making an animal walk on something is easier than making an animal stick its head through something.

Russ. One thing about snares is that when placed in blind passageways you are getting a coyote or animal in general to pass through un-pressured. A coyote for example that is working a baited set automatically runs a higher level of awareness and is very guarded. One thing i notice is that i think the ratio of blind sets and snares is a little higher in more experienced trappers and guys in the trade for 40 years than young trappers. Myself included. I will lay 20 sets out for coyotes and unless i make myself think blind set all 20 will be flat sets or dirt holes. This goes a long way to lay out my level of expertise and catch rate compared to a lot on here. I know some long time trappers that run 50-75% blind set stylke trapping and catch very well. I would possibly catch very well too if i would just listen lol. Prolly better start doing that really.

Find the video on youtube where someone shows Clint Locklear how to stop snaring pinch points and instead just hang a daggum snare over a deeply worn trail and let the animals momentum propel him thru it before he ever realizes it was there. Between a good location (think cow trail 3-6 inches deeper than the rest of the ground) and the animals speed of movement (think of a travel way that he and 1000 others have basically sped down because there is nothing of interest anywhere close) and you can start to see the physics of it. It would be like you trying to avoid a black calf at 2 am at interstate speed. Sure you would have avoided hitting the calf but it was under you long before you even realized it was there.

Bigshane out of Abilene KS showed me this technique and explained it very well. He said in a pinch point the animal slows down so if it feels a snare on its whisker or ear tip it might stop and back up (trap avoidance) but out in the open he feels something whiz past an ear tip or whiskers on one side of his head he will jump forward (accelerate) and by then it is too late. If I remember right Shane says he uses a 6 ft snare tied to a 6 foot extension (12 ft run) and he told me he finds as many broken necks as he does choke outs. I always listen to what he says, guys like him or Lt Grey kill more coyotes than the plague. John Graham is another excellent instructor if you insist on busting sod and burying heavy traps. Cleatus Richards puts on some awesome demos too if you're partial to leg holds.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: What traps to get [Re: HunterRuss] #6700733
12/21/19 03:50 AM
12/21/19 03:50 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
HunterRuss, you sound new at this. The archives will get you a ton of information. If you’re willing to hold off till the next trapping season and get a chance to go to your state’s trappers convention in the summer, you’ll be able to get lots of used traps for 1/2 to 2/3 the price of new. And you’ll avoid having to pay shipping!

As far as snaring goes, there’s a learning curve with that too. Newt Sterling, who is an excellent instructor, writer and snare builder, says it took him 3 years to get confident and comfortable with using snares. It’s gonna take you a while too. Again, go to the archives listed above; buy some books on snaring; query snaring on YouTube, get some videos and if your state trappers association offers an annual convention, go to it. If yours is like ours, there will be plenty of excellent people putting on demos on snaring you can watch and ask questions.

Never too old to learn
Re: What traps to get [Re: Teacher] #6701512
12/21/19 06:33 PM
12/21/19 06:33 PM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
Originally Posted by Teacher
HunterRuss, you sound new at this. The archives will get you a ton of information. If you’re willing to hold off till the next trapping season and get a chance to go to your state’s trappers convention in the summer, you’ll be able to get lots of used traps for 1/2 to 2/3 the price of new. And you’ll avoid having to pay shipping!

As far as snaring goes, there’s a learning curve with that too. Newt Sterling, who is an excellent instructor, writer and snare builder, says it took him 3 years to get confident and comfortable with using snares. It’s gonna take you a while too. Again, go to the archives listed above; buy some books on snaring; query snaring on YouTube, get some videos and if your state trappers association offers an annual convention, go to it. If yours is like ours, there will be plenty of excellent people putting on demos on snaring you can watch and ask questions.

Hi is right snaring takes a while. But u start picking up aimails more u learn. I started out on beaver yrs ago. But never give up on it. If u can goto a nta convention. Go traps traps used and new at some great prices.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91