Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Urine #6691663
12/12/19 11:07 PM
12/12/19 11:07 PM
North Dakota
S
Swift Arrow Offline OP
trapper
Swift Arrow  Offline OP
trapper
S

North Dakota
I’m trapping a new area in northern North Dakota, there are very few cats in this area but lots of healthy dogs. Anyone have any luck using bobcat urine for Canines with out the cats being in the area?

Swift Arrow
A+ ANIMAL CONTROL
Trophies shouldn't be judged by the size of antlers on the wall, but the size of the smile when the memory is recalled!
Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6691681
12/12/19 11:18 PM
12/12/19 11:18 PM
eastern washington
B
BillyTraps Offline
trapper
BillyTraps  Offline
trapper
B

eastern washington
Bobcat, fox and coyote urine works for all three....and some

Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6691948
12/13/19 10:14 AM
12/13/19 10:14 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
You can pee on your sets and still catch critters.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Urine [Re: The Beav] #6692226
12/13/19 04:36 PM
12/13/19 04:36 PM
North Dakota
S
Swift Arrow Offline OP
trapper
Swift Arrow  Offline OP
trapper
S

North Dakota
I gotcha, they just need to check it out once!

Swift Arrow
A+ ANIMAL CONTROL
Trophies shouldn't be judged by the size of antlers on the wall, but the size of the smile when the memory is recalled!
Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6692328
12/13/19 06:54 PM
12/13/19 06:54 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
if there is no bobcats where are you are how are you going to get their pee? if you can get some it will work great. if you buy the artificial stuff available commercially it wont.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Urine [Re: danny clifton] #6692360
12/13/19 07:26 PM
12/13/19 07:26 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by danny clifton
if there is no bobcats where are you are how are you going to get their pee? if you can get some it will work great. if you buy the artificial stuff available commercially it wont.

X2 I got some from a trapper that collected it himself and there is a difference between the stuff I saw him collect and give me and the stuff I bought from a large trapping retailer. Looks, smells and performs different. And that is coyotes pee. If they cant sell real coyote pee I doubt they got real cat pee as it would be harder to come by.

Re: Urine [Re: Yes sir] #6692532
12/13/19 09:13 PM
12/13/19 09:13 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Folks, where can a man get the very best straight urine, no dilution?

Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6692920
12/14/19 07:48 AM
12/14/19 07:48 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
[Linked Image]
That is the only place you will get pure undiluted bobcat urine. Or any urine for that matter. Bladder urine is the only place to get it. I start the season with bought fox urine and then start collecting. The bought stuff works but the bladder stuff is free.

Last edited by strike2x; 12/14/19 07:58 AM. Reason: Added information

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6692948
12/14/19 08:35 AM
12/14/19 08:35 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline
trapper

Communist State Of New York
I collect the anal glands and bladders of every fox and coyote I catch. With all the countless fox and coyotes I have caught over the years, only one fox actually still had urine in it's bladder. I still have that urine from that fox and it is probably 5 years old and still smells like red fox. The urine I have got from suppliers doesn't smell anything like the real stuff.

Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6693038
12/14/19 10:02 AM
12/14/19 10:02 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Build a collection pen. Start collecting in November. You wont need to add a thing to preserve it if winter collected. Will store forever just like it came from the animal. It will get darker for a couple months but it is some of the best lure you will ever get. There WILL be sediment collect in the bottom of it is supposed to be there. Just give it a shake when you put it in a squirt bottle or get ready to squirt some. Feed frozen whole cottontails. No blood or anything gets in your pee when they are froze. You can chop those cottontails up with an axe after they are froze to adjust the amount you feed. Keep em hungry. They should eat everything in a few minutes. If they don't you are feeding to much. They will likely not eat while you are in sight.

You don't want water in your pee. So cut a hole about 6 inches square in the back, on the side of, your pen. The bottom of the hole should be the height of your stainless steel water bowl. On the outside of that hole build a small cage with a door. This is where the water bowl goes. Any water splashed out (there will not be much doing it this way) will fall on the ground and not end up running into your collection dish. Lots of ways to build the floor. Expanded metel with a big tray under it works. I used the lid of an old chest freezer for a tray. A plastic barrel cut and flattened some out works too with a piece of roof rain gutter on the end to direct the pee into a container is good and easy to clean.

If you try caging a bobcat metal roof flashing will help around the sides.

If you go through the trouble to do this you will appreciate anybody doing it commercially and there are only a handful. Not near enough to supply everyone. It goes fast. Also if you do it you wont ever be happy with anything else.

If legal where you are leave bobcats in your trap for 48 hours. They wont pee. Bladder will be huge.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Urine [Re: danny clifton] #6693138
12/14/19 11:46 AM
12/14/19 11:46 AM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
I really appreciate your responses. I have learned a lot from this. Merry Christmas.

Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6693186
12/14/19 12:39 PM
12/14/19 12:39 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Go down to the local Humane society and adopt a bunch of house cats and cage them up for urine collection.
When I had cats well the kids had cats I would take the whole litter box and spread a bit of urine and scat soaked litter at my fox sets. Worked like a charm.

Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6693225
12/14/19 01:32 PM
12/14/19 01:32 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
If and when you build a collection system build a track of some kind about 3" below the cage floor. Build It so you can place some window screen in that track. We just used a old window screen frame and all In a angle iron track. You don't want scat and hair and food particles In your urine.
We just loosely stapled a piece of heavy plastic to the bottom of the screen frame cut a hole In the middle and tossed In a rock to make low spot.

Re: Urine [Re: Archeryguy] #6693281
12/14/19 02:37 PM
12/14/19 02:37 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Originally Posted by Archeryguy
I collect the anal glands and bladders of every fox and coyote I catch. With all the countless fox and coyotes I have caught over the years, only one fox actually still had urine in it's bladder. I still have that urine from that fox and it is probably 5 years old and still smells like red fox. The urine I have got from suppliers doesn't smell anything like the real stuff.

Females tend to have more in the bladder. I admit there are a good share of empty ones. The question bwasnt about quantity, it was about quality.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6693438
12/14/19 05:47 PM
12/14/19 05:47 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Very interesting. I'm new on this sight and love to trap anything. It's great to have this sight and folk that are willing to share knowledge. When I was a teen everything was a secret. How can I follow your posts/threads?

Re: Urine [Re: danny clifton] #6693462
12/14/19 06:13 PM
12/14/19 06:13 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Build a collection pen. Start collecting in November. You wont need to add a thing to preserve it if winter collected. Will store forever just like it came from the animal. It will get darker for a couple months but it is some of the best lure you will ever get. There WILL be sediment collect in the bottom of it is supposed to be there. Just give it a shake when you put it in a squirt bottle or get ready to squirt some. Feed frozen whole cottontails. No blood or anything gets in your pee when they are froze. You can chop those cottontails up with an axe after they are froze to adjust the amount you feed. Keep em hungry. They should eat everything in a few minutes. If they don't you are feeding to much. They will likely not eat while you are in sight.

You don't want water in your pee. So cut a hole about 6 inches square in the back, on the side of, your pen. The bottom of the hole should be the height of your stainless steel water bowl. On the outside of that hole build a small cage with a door. This is where the water bowl goes. Any water splashed out (there will not be much doing it this way) will fall on the ground and not end up running into your collection dish. Lots of ways to build the floor. Expanded metel with a big tray under it works. I used the lid of an old chest freezer for a tray. A plastic barrel cut and flattened some out works too with a piece of roof rain gutter on the end to direct the pee into a container is good and easy to clean.

If you try caging a bobcat metal roof flashing will help around the sides.

If you go through the trouble to do this you will appreciate anybody doing it commercially and there are only a handful. Not near enough to supply everyone. It goes fast. Also if you do it you wont ever be happy with anything else.

If legal where you are leave bobcats in your trap for 48 hours. They wont pee. Bladder will be huge.

Danny, that's some awesome information!

Re: Urine [Re: Swift Arrow] #6711367
12/30/19 11:30 PM
12/30/19 11:30 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I've thought about using bobcat urine at cage sets...I wonder if that would be to a trappers advantage to put some bobcat urine in a cage trap

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91