No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Dog Question #6660705
11/08/19 08:09 PM
11/08/19 08:09 PM
People's Republic of NJ
LCoutdoorsman333 Offline OP
trapper
LCoutdoorsman333  Offline OP
trapper

People's Republic of NJ
I have a puppy about 6 months old. He has this horrible habit of eating anything rotten or nasty. he won't eat his own poop or meat from deer i kill. but if there is rotten guts few days old i miss in the leaves he will bolt over to it not listen to me and just gobble it down like he hasn't eaten in a year. He will listen to me off leash for everything except when he smells anything nasty like that and just bolts and i can't stop him and he scarfs it down until i go grab him. Any one have any tips on how to break this in him now. Im knew to training a gun dog but love him as a family pet as well.

Thanks for any advice or help-LC

USMC
Re: Dog Question [Re: LCoutdoorsman333] #6660708
11/08/19 08:14 PM
11/08/19 08:14 PM
missouri
S
salemtrapper Offline
trapper
salemtrapper  Offline
trapper
S

missouri
Training caller. Has a toner and a shock. You tone first then shock he will catch on the tone means you better stop.

Re: Dog Question [Re: LCoutdoorsman333] #6660724
11/08/19 08:40 PM
11/08/19 08:40 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you can work on the "leave it" command.

this starts with them on leash on "stay", you set the treat out a few feet and return keep them on "stay" if they start to move you reinforce stay and use " leave it" and a tug this starts for a short time then you bend down and pick up the treat and give it to them or take a fresh treat out of your pocket and give that to them , with "take it" when you want them to eat some thing.

working longer and longer on the "stay" and the "leave it" before giving them a treat.

a test is to have someone come buy and offer a treat with out the "take it" command when they offer the treat you say "leave it " and give a tug if they make a move for it

all of this is reinforced with a pinch collar and a tug to remind them of when they are not obeying with a leave it.

this should get you to the point where if you drop a food on the kitchen floor they would love but should not eat a "leave it" gets them leave it so you can clean it up.

it may help with your running to an irresistible pile of Yuck

it may need a reinforcement from the beep & shock training collar.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Dog Question [Re: LCoutdoorsman333] #6660740
11/08/19 08:55 PM
11/08/19 08:55 PM
People's Republic of NJ
LCoutdoorsman333 Offline OP
trapper
LCoutdoorsman333  Offline OP
trapper

People's Republic of NJ
thanks pete i will have to do that. he sits for his breakfast and dinner and i can walk away and do things until i tell him to eat or even set my plate of food on the floor and he won't touch it unless told but maybe if i make it specific like that it will help. Im still learning. appreciate the advice. will look into an e collar as well and get that into the training as well.

USMC
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread