Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
North Woods Fisher Bait #6643119
10/18/19 11:51 PM
10/18/19 11:51 PM
PA
K
kish75 Offline OP
trapper
kish75  Offline OP
trapper
K

PA
I will be heading north to the Maine North Woods next month to trap...mostly a water line, but want to run some footholds for fishers. I know it will be an "off" year for Fisher due to a large mast crop. Does anyone have any fruity/ sweet bait recommendations for Fisher, as I have heard they may ignore Beaver meat due to the mast crop.

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: kish75] #6643134
10/19/19 02:04 AM
10/19/19 02:04 AM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
Try Tom Krause 40 below not a bait but has castors,some fruit etc. in it Caven's Tree Climber is another sweet smelling lures castors,musk etc.Good luck,they both work well on early season fox and coyotes and of course raccoons.

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: kish75] #6643237
10/19/19 08:19 AM
10/19/19 08:19 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by kish75
I will be heading north to the Maine North Woods next month to trap...mostly a water line, but want to run some footholds for fishers. I know it will be an "off" year for Fisher due to a large mast crop. Does anyone have any fruity/ sweet bait recommendations for Fisher, as I have heard they may ignore Beaver meat due to the mast crop.

Fisher will still go for good fresh bait on years when the mast crop is up. In the 70s and 80s before the body grip and a three day check came into effect, I very seldom used body grips on fisher.
Fresh beaver meat is the standard. Fisher respond very well to muskrat if you have it. Actually most every responds well to muskrat. Fisher really love fowl. Chicken, turkey is very good. I used to do a lot more dog training and have used quail with great success. If you are hard up for bait, beef suit is real good. You try pre-baiting with that sometime. They clean it right up. (That is a good old time bait for tree sets. Birds love it, and this creates a really good visual, as fisher do move during the day.

Strawberry or raspberry jam can be poured or spread on your baits if you want a sweet smell. Good old cheap pancake syrup works pretty good too. Fisher do have a sweet tooth. I have only seen one sweet smelling fisher lure for sale and I do not believe it is sold anymore. A friend from Vermont came up with it and sold it regionally.

You did not ask for any thoughts on lure but will offer some advice for what it is worth. Something with beaver castor, muskrat musk is good. Mink gland or weasel glands are useful.
Almost everyone likes to use a skunk LDC. I like an LDC too. My thoughts on the luring with LDC, unless it is way below zero I do not like it at the set proper. I like it close to the set and up in the air. Yes, I know that fisher, like fox will eat a fresh skunk and be tickled to get it. I just like the skunk up in the air.

I make my own fisher lure but there are good commercial lures that work. Back in the day I used to run tests all winter. Did that a lot. O'Gorman sells a real good fisher lure. Mike Syntecki (I know that is not spelled correctly) out of PA used to make a canine lure that was fantastic on fisher.

Wishing you great luck and hope most importantly you have fun. If you have any questions give me a shout. But if you had trapped here before you are probably all set.
Mac

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: Mac] #6643287
10/19/19 09:40 AM
10/19/19 09:40 AM
PA
K
kish75 Offline OP
trapper
kish75  Offline OP
trapper
K

PA
Thanks Mac...I have not trapped maine before, but have a couple great buddies I will be trapping with.

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: kish75] #6643393
10/19/19 12:57 PM
10/19/19 12:57 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Fisher respond well to anise paste. I use it to lure bear and frequently get fisher on my bear bait sites.

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: Posco] #6643409
10/19/19 01:32 PM
10/19/19 01:32 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
I have found beaver castor with a strong anise oil component mix to be a good fisher lure.

Last edited by bctomcat; 10/19/19 01:38 PM.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: bctomcat] #6643583
10/19/19 06:56 PM
10/19/19 06:56 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I stopped using anise in any formulas for fisher because it is a bear attractor. Used to find more than one cubby destroyed each year by bear.

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: Mac] #6643689
10/19/19 09:36 PM
10/19/19 09:36 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted by Mac
I stopped using anise in any formulas for fisher because it is a bear attractor. Used to find more than one cubby destroyed each year by bear.

I've seldom had that problem but then I never use the lure in my box or cubby. I always place my lure a short way from and above my cubby or box. Lure is the attracter that brings an animal to a set location. Bait is the substance that holds the animal at the set and gets it working the set until captured.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: kish75] #6643843
10/20/19 03:23 AM
10/20/19 03:23 AM
Maine
S
shorthair Offline
trapper
shorthair  Offline
trapper
S

Maine
I found Anise to be as good if not better than skunk when it gets below freezing on a regular basis. There was also a lure called fisher candy that I liked. I haven't set a fisher trap since the exclusion devices. there is plenty of fisher out there though. Between the price plummeting and the law changes they've really taken off.

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my traps for what I said I paid for them."
Re: North Woods Fisher Bait [Re: bctomcat] #6644365
10/20/19 06:57 PM
10/20/19 06:57 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by bctomcat
Originally Posted by Mac

I've seldom had that problem but then I never use the lure in my box or cubby. I always place my lure a short way from and above my cubby or box. Lure is the attracter that brings an animal to a set location. Bait is the substance that holds the animal at the set and gets it working the set until captured.

Makes sense. Might have to give that a whirl. Thanks.
Shorthair is correct. Some of the minty type ingredients really reach out in the cold.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91