No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: eric space] #6591864
08/10/19 09:44 AM
08/10/19 09:44 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Down here it's assfishers with sparkly boats and a gazillion horsepower throwing rooster tails. Those fools will run over you getting to "their" spot.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: eric space] #6591877
08/10/19 10:00 AM
08/10/19 10:00 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Release the air out of his tires

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: eric space] #6591948
08/10/19 12:16 PM
08/10/19 12:16 PM
N.E. Pennsylvania
T
trappertom52 Offline
trapper
trappertom52  Offline
trapper
T

N.E. Pennsylvania
Yup! If you can't roll cast you aren't a fly fisherman.

Let a man meet a bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool and his folly. Proverbs 17:12
Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: eric space] #6591949
08/10/19 12:17 PM
08/10/19 12:17 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I used to fish for trout with big yellow grasshoppers on my flyrod. Nothing will get one to rise and bite like a grasshopper swimming on top the water in an eddy behind a big rock or whatever. Guys would come over and ask what color I was using. Kept the grasshoppers in pipe tobacco cans in my back pocket. They would get a bit snarky when they saw I was not only eating the fish but using live bait.

I think it was Jeff Foxworthy that talked about shiny and glittery stuff attracting rednecks. I think though it attracts wannabe rednecks.

I still flyfish here in ks once in a while. In farm ponds. Green eared sunfish are a lot of fun on one. get the occasional bass too. If you ever thought about fly fishing or you enjoy but live or visit someplace here in the prairie a flyrod is still a lot of fun.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: gryhkl] #6591962
08/10/19 12:33 PM
08/10/19 12:33 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by gryhkl
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I actually like to see fly fishermen at my fishing hole. They can't stand on my favorite rock and flyfish because there's a tree behind it. And their casting distance is very limited. Most of them fish about 10' away with the little foam bobber. Most strikes are missed, and if they do hook a big fish it breaks their leader.

Must be some poor fly fisherman in your neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I actually like to see fly fishermen at my fishing hole. They can't stand on my favorite rock and flyfish because there's a tree behind it. And their casting distance is very limited. Most of them fish about 10' away with the little foam bobber. Most strikes are missed, and if they do hook a big fish it breaks their leader.

Must be some poor fly fisherman in your neck of the woods.

I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. I do fine with a spinning rod.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: eric space] #6592222
08/10/19 08:27 PM
08/10/19 08:27 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I used to "throw the meat" at trout too. Then, one day in my eighteenth year, I saw a couple old Italian guys catching a few trout with minnows just as I was doing except they had spinning reels attached to fly rods. The bait bite slowed and trout started rising to the mayflies that were hatching(they were hendricksons). These guys replaced the spinning reels with fly reels and started catching nearly every trout that rose-and their were lots of them coming up. Minnows were not even being swiped at by the trout during the hatch. The fellas were out to catch fish, not impress anyone by flyfishing.

Until that late afternoon I assumed guys fly fished to believe they were somehow in an elite class of trout guys. Once one learns about all the bugs and other stuff trout feed on, flyfishing can be the most effective way to catch trout. It easy to learn to catch fish on flies, and with modern materials and all the youtube stuff out there now, the learning curve has been shorten greatly since 40 years ago.

If you like to fish for trout, you will love fishing for them even more after you learn to flyfish-----and,Danny, a grasshopper pattern is one of the go-to flies on lots of streams in the summer. And one of the best things about flies is they don't have to be kept alive.

Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: gryhkl] #6592226
08/10/19 08:32 PM
08/10/19 08:32 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Newt
FLY FISHERMAN !

"IN Newt's World"
If every fish I expect to catch would fit in that little backet with a lid on it.That they carry.
And every fish I expect to catch would fit through that little hole in the lid of that basket.

I WOULDENT GET OUT OF BED

I HATE SPORT FISHERMAN

Well, hate is just what we need more of. Lumping all flyfisherman, sport fisherman, hunters, trappers....whatever, in the same boat because of the acts of a few is as wrong as viewing all gun owners as being the same as those who do the mass shootings..................Come on , Newt!

Swift4me said it right.

Don't forget those loathsome crossbow hunters!

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: eric space] #6592229
08/10/19 08:33 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I can and do use artificials gryhkl. Only now its for pan fish and the occasional bass. those sun fish will get an artificial pretty raggedy pretty fast.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Why do catch and release fly fishermen think I do [Re: eric space] #6592230
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Ya got that right, mike! wink