Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: canines detecting waxed dirt? [Re: stillhunt] #6587772
08/04/19 02:38 PM
08/04/19 02:38 PM
eastern, CT
scott k Offline
trapper
scott k  Offline
trapper

eastern, CT
More often than not the reason it was dug up was do to something else not wax. I see guys do demos and put the lure cap on the dirt when they look for a stick to apply it. Shame on you. Also no gloves or the same gloves when handling bait and traps. Again shame on you. Oh and did I mention smoking too? It’s not the wax. If put up correctly in dirt or on traps and kept clean your good.

Re: canines detecting waxed dirt? [Re: walleye101] #6588217
08/05/19 01:12 AM
08/05/19 01:12 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by walleye101
Anyone try natural soy wax? Sold as candle making product

I think if you investigate you will find all flaked wax is soy wax- paraffin can be granulated or shaved but it don't flake. When my daughter was going to become a millionaire making candles she used a lot of soy wax and it was all flakes.

Re: canines detecting waxed dirt? [Re: stillhunt] #6588524
08/05/19 02:12 PM
08/05/19 02:12 PM
shelby, ohio
T
tightwad Offline
trapper
tightwad  Offline
trapper
T

shelby, ohio
Then there are those that use waxed dirt over wax paper over a waxed trap setting on waxed dirt and bring home fur.

Last edited by tightwad; 08/05/19 10:32 PM. Reason: messed up
Re: canines detecting waxed dirt? [Re: stillhunt] #6589207
08/06/19 01:07 PM
08/06/19 01:07 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Exactly like that.

I saw McGowan's method in The Trapper in the 80's or 90's. It was a good sized add. I used dry dirt only at first then tried calcium chloride and salt. They all work. Things come and go. Next year it will be silicon treated dirt or something else.

Just passin through
Re: canines detecting waxed dirt? [Re: stillhunt] #6592799
08/11/19 09:00 PM
08/11/19 09:00 PM
new york
G
general Offline
trapper
general  Offline
trapper
G

new york
I have found that if the trap is dug up it's because of the trap not being bedded good. If there is an odor problem the canines just shy away. You will never make a set that doesn't have human scent at it. Every breath you take sends millions of molecules of human scent over the area you are setting. If you do your best to keep odors to a minimum, then let the attractants you use (lure, bait,urine) do the job of bringing the predator to your trap. Setting a lure cap down is not a bad thing, as long as you don't set it on your trap bed. Set it behind the trap and it's just another location of scent. The more the animal moves around your set the better your chance of making a catch.

Re: canines detecting waxed dirt? [Re: stillhunt] #6595431
08/15/19 06:49 PM
08/15/19 06:49 PM
Pa
C
Cope23 Offline
trapper
Cope23  Offline
trapper
C

Pa
With waxed dirt I definitely think the pros outweight the cons, for me anyways. With constant freezing and thawing that we deal with in the north east I think its a no brainer. Once you get used to bedding the trap and have results when you otherwise wouldn't because of conditions you will be sold..if you get into a place with critters to catch and deal with constant bad conditions and see how it performs its the best alternative. Sets last a lot longer and require less (if any unless a catch) remaking because of conditions. I know last year I had a coyote remake that sat 24 days until the next one came by, a male was caught Dec 14 and a female was Jan 8. Over those 24 days we had numerous rain freeze thaw, I was honestly ready to remake the set because I was starting to wonder but I never went any closer then 200 yds to the set to check and just trusted the dirt from previous experience..just my .02, also never had an issue with anything I would blame on odor from my waxed dirt

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91