Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Sun rendered beef fat #6571809
07/11/19 08:46 AM
07/11/19 08:46 AM
Western IA
L
LoessHillsArcher Offline OP
trapper
LoessHillsArcher  Offline OP
trapper
L

Western IA
Trying my hand at making some BTO for the first time this year and it seems to be working out well. We butchered a large beef a couple weeks ago and cut off lots of fat so I figured I'd try to sun render some of that as well. First thing I noticed was that fat does harden at night when it cools and then become liquid again in the heat of the day. There is a little bit towards the bottom that doesn't solidify, perhaps that's the portion I should focus on extracting and using for a lure.

Anyone ever try sun rendered beef fat for a trapping bait? Maybe coyote or bobcats would like it?

IMG_9201.jpgIMG_9200.jpg
Re: Sun rendered beef fat [Re: LoessHillsArcher] #6572042
07/11/19 05:34 PM
07/11/19 05:34 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
I tried it a few years back, and didnt get the same results like i do with skunk and lamb fat. Plus it got very to work with in extreme cold. But the recipe called for sunrenderd animal fat so thought I'd try it.

Let me sugar coat this
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91