No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Tree Saddle or hang on? #6538447
05/16/19 06:18 AM
05/16/19 06:18 AM
Jamestown N.Y.
B
Billkil1187 Offline OP
trapper
Billkil1187  Offline OP
trapper
B

Jamestown N.Y.
Really want to become a mobile deer hunter this fall, but I’ve been very conflicted about paying that amount for a saddle or buying a light hang on saddle! I am hoping some guys here have some knowledge about either! Saddles are light weight and seem more versatile.. but you end up with 3 ropes a platform a gear hanger and knee pads where a hang on you lug up a tree and strap in? Any info about either please share

Re: Tree Saddle or hang on? [Re: Billkil1187] #6538471
05/16/19 07:40 AM
05/16/19 07:40 AM
Mo, Ozarks
316 Offline
trapper
316  Offline
trapper

Mo, Ozarks
Check out saddlehunter.com to learn about saddle hunting. Some remodel a sit drag into a low cost hunting saddle that seems to work fine. A saddle that weighs ounces instead of pounds, a tether rope, knee pads the rest you would be using with either system unless you use a climber that requires a tree with no limbs. I have been using a saddle for years and I would never go back to lugging a tree stand.

Re: Tree Saddle or hang on? [Re: Billkil1187] #6538646
05/16/19 01:05 PM
05/16/19 01:05 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
I’ve hunted out a saddle style sling for over 15 years and will never go back to any type of stand.
The sling I use now I had it made.

Questions you should ask yourself..
How good of shape are you in, by this I mean are you a larger guy have a bigger belly?
Most guys have a real hard time with a saddle if they fit this profile. It will eat you up.
Here are a few things you will experience while starting out using a saddle
Hips will be sore, neck, back, knees, legs and whatever else.Big learning curve but once you find how to rig it properly and find your sweet spot your good. I’ve hunted all day in mine but your not going to do it the first couple weeks it takes time to adjust.
If your in bad shape you will be done using the saddle in no time.
I have friends that quit using the saddle because of the above.
If your in decent shape and a smaller thinner guy your good and you will adjust.

If your interested in using a saddle after and feel your fit for it let me know I can give you a lot of good info on how to use one and not go over board like a lot of members do on the other forum. It’s made to make things simple and mobile.

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread