No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Any Mason bee raisers??? #6497155
03/21/19 02:28 PM
03/21/19 02:28 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline OP
trapper
Drakej  Offline OP
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Honeybees are turning out to be more effort than I want to provide for more than just a hive or two but I want more pollinators for the many fruit trees and berry bushes I'm planting and have been reading about native ones including Masons. They don't seem as much work and better pollinators.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Any Mason bee raisers??? [Re: Drakej] #6497209
03/21/19 04:48 PM
03/21/19 04:48 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Get in touch with your state or local beekeepers association. I'm sure there's a beekeeper or two near you willing to park a hive or two on your place.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any Mason bee raisers??? [Re: Drakej] #6497213
03/21/19 04:57 PM
03/21/19 04:57 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
what is a mason bee I know honey bees bumble bees and squash bees

olden tyred
Re: Any Mason bee raisers??? [Re: Drakej] #6497246
03/21/19 05:46 PM
03/21/19 05:46 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline OP
trapper
Drakej  Offline OP
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Mason bee are a NA native bee that specializes in pollinating early flowering species that overwinters in a cocoon in small space(deep holes bored into wood by other insects, broken off hollow stems etc) walled off into chamber with mud, filled with pollen for larvae to feed on. They emerge for a short window early spring, males mate and dye, females live several weeks collecting pollen and laying several eggs in attached chambers. They are considered solitary bees(thought they will nest in groups if provided nesting chambers artificially. They are 90% effective pollinators and do not sting. They do not travel far from there emerge location(100 yds). They do NOT produce HONEY but are 3x more effective at pollinating. Tube and bored hole 'houses' are commonly used to accommodate them some designs(like birdhouses) are traps rather than benificial.

Warrior, I checked into that plan a few years ago but few beekeeper left around me and they have suffered catastrophic losses of colonies last few years. Geared up for a hive or two of our own but waiting to see if they survived winter here(some -35 nights)

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread