No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Credit card/ID fraud #6474150
02/26/19 01:12 PM
02/26/19 01:12 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline OP
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline OP
trapper
T

NW MO
Came home last PM and message on home phone said there may have been a fraudulent credit card charge. Wife then said the card wasn't accepted at the store. Called and they asked "Did you spend $4100 on American Airlines? No. Card disabled and new one on the way. So I decide to check my free credit report. Some fine individual had applied for a Cabelas Capital One card under my name. I had a Cabelas Visa that transferred over so I am wondering if that is where it started. Seems too much of a coincidence to me that I only have 2 lines of credit(cards) and they just happen to apply for one of the exact ones I have. So I have now wasted 3 hours of my life between phone calls, searches, etc. and probably have a few more before it is over. I have put a fraud alert on my credit report. Any other advice/thoughts/been there stories? These people need to spend some serious prison time.

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6474194
02/26/19 02:19 PM
02/26/19 02:19 PM
IL
G
goatman Offline
trapper
goatman  Offline
trapper
G

IL
Don't sweat it. I've been hacked at least 5 times. Today's world. They don't convict anyone just pass on the charges to everyone else.

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: goatman] #6474247
02/26/19 02:58 PM
02/26/19 02:58 PM
SW Pennsylvania
M
mauser06 Offline
trapper
mauser06  Offline
trapper
M

SW Pennsylvania
They could have gotten your information a large variety of ways. Probably the most common is a card skimmer. Believe it or not a lot of the people skimming the cards or stealing your identity other ways actually sell it online. There's basically a network of them that sell identities online. You'd be shocked at how little we are actually worth to them lol. I saw an interview of one. Your total identity is worth somewhere around $100. A social security number is worth a few bucks. The guy went on to say that at $100 or so, it's risky business "because they don't know if you have any money". They could spend $100 and not get anything. A lot of times they buy as much as they can as quick as they can and resell what they've bought. I phones and such are really popular with then..but anything they can get value from on the black market will work.

From there, they'll encode your information on a card... electronically and the physical#. But they'll put their name (a fictitious ID) on the card. At it's face value, the card looks legitimate...when it's used, it's your account. Or they'll use your account online.

A lot of companies want a police report filed before they'll do anything as far as considering it fraud so you might be making that phone call.

It's a case that is difficult for law enforcement to do much with because of the technology and trying to actually identify the ID thiefs and the people using the IDs. A lot of it happens online and a lot of it changes hands and tracking it down is very difficult.

The laws are also behind and courts don't understand the cases. I know Pennsylvania just enacted laws helping fight it... I know possession of card skimmers was one of them.

Good luck...it's no fun. Ends up a headache and a pain in the butt for the victim.

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6474272
02/26/19 03:19 PM
02/26/19 03:19 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Just bottom feeders like the phone scammers but if it's not a million dollars or some corporation nobody cares is the sad part. It's a crying shame a guy works for what he has and others just want to steal it from him.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6474362
02/26/19 04:46 PM
02/26/19 04:46 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Happens to me with my CC about once a year. I'm 100% sure I know where the fraud is originating; I told the CC company but they didn't really seem interested in following up on the info I have.
This is why I refuse to use, or own a debit card.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6474526
02/26/19 08:25 PM
02/26/19 08:25 PM

J
JOCO1995
Unregistered
JOCO1995
Unregistered
J

I feel your pain I have one cc I use for business and fuel purchases, same deal they called me the other day and asked did I make a certain purchase, I said no cut it off right now. Glad someone was watching it, they tried three small purchases in a row, bank guy says they normally start small then go in for the kill. I do not have or ever will have a debit card as I hear they are easier for them to hack than a cc. Also had a dump trailer stolen out of my yard the same week, I did get it back though thanks to the joco sheriff. Thieves of all stripes really (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) me off.

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6474552
02/26/19 08:42 PM
02/26/19 08:42 PM
Ar
G
gregh Offline
trapper
gregh  Offline
trapper
G

Ar
I have been hacked twice and both times it was thru pay pals. I have a debit card tied to a bank account that only requires a $100.00 balance, this account is tied to Pay pals. All my purchases on the net are done with this card. I put the money in the account then make the purchase. So all that the hackers can get is a $100.00 from the account.

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: waggler] #6474619
02/26/19 09:20 PM
02/26/19 09:20 PM
Illinois/Indiana (depends on t...
E
eastwood44mag Offline
trapper
eastwood44mag  Offline
trapper
E

Illinois/Indiana (depends on t...
Originally Posted by waggler
Happens to me with my CC about once a year. I'm 100% sure I know where the fraud is originating; I told the CC company but they didn't really seem interested in following up on the info I have.

Ditto

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6474964
02/27/19 09:03 AM
02/27/19 09:03 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
a guy in England went through paypal to clean out my sons checking account a few years ago. it was only about 3 grand so nothing was ever done. we tax payers took the hit as fdic put the money back. of course that took a couple weeks. my cc purchases show up on my cell phone as soon as I use it. my debit card does not. I only use my debit card at atms for cash. they are supposed to be more secure than say a gas station pump.

I don't give out personal information. my insurance man was pretty upset one day when I refused to give my ss#. Had insurance there for about thirty years. for whatever reason they found out it wasn't on their file. said my rates would go up without it. it didn't.

Dr's are the worst. Why would a Dr need your SS#?

I don't give out my phone number either to cashiers. What is the benefit to me?

Those grocery cards are the worst. No idea why they need to know who is buying their products. Tracking what sells is good business. Again whats the benefit to me for giving personal info to store so they can monitor what I buy? No thanks. I will sometimes pay the higher price but usually just shop elsewhere.

I pay with cash a lot. I like the anonymity of cash. I believe anonymity is the reason it is being discouraged by government and stolen by LE. Nosy nogoods can't stand not spying on people. You would think the monitering of all electronic communication would be enough to make them happy but apparently not.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6475010
02/27/19 09:47 AM
02/27/19 09:47 AM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline OP
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline OP
trapper
T

NW MO
I too try to deal in cash as much as possible. Hard to believe people out there are making a living off stealing.

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: eastwood44mag] #6475231
02/27/19 01:47 PM
02/27/19 01:47 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by eastwood44mag
Originally Posted by waggler

Ditto

You are just asking for problems with a debit card

Mean As Nails
Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: ] #6475235
02/27/19 01:57 PM
02/27/19 01:57 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by ND FTA
So much of it going on. The NDHP just busted these fine gentlemen on I94 in Bismarck with a machine and laptop that could transfer information from one card to another. The story says they are from Fargo. Who knew Somalia had a city named Fargo too??

[Linked Image]

Bad hair day all around.

Re: Credit card/ID fraud [Re: TurkeyTime] #6475249
02/27/19 02:14 PM
02/27/19 02:14 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Happened to me also. My card was skiimmed at a gas station in Farmington NM. Within minutes my address was changed to Buffalo NY and charges were made at a pawn shop in Phoenix.

Credit card company smelled a rat and denied charges. I was asked to file a police report.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread