Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Bedding and covering traps in the muck #6458092
02/11/19 03:11 PM
02/11/19 03:11 PM
lower alabama
URBANTRAPPER1 Offline OP
trapper
URBANTRAPPER1  Offline OP
trapper

lower alabama
Recently started trapping some public land on a delta near my house. The place is covered up in mink, coon, and otter sign but the problem is bedding and covering my traps. It’s on a river (80 yards wide) and I’m trapping some feeder streams coming off of it that are narrow, but deep. Like 4-5 foot deep with vertical banks. The coons and mink are using various logs and shallow parts to cross these and finding pinch points isn’t a problem, but bedding the traps on this sandy and muddy mixture had been a nightmare. It’s to firm to just push a trap into and bed solid but to soft to try sift anything back on a trap once I finally get a trap bedded. Any advice on getting them bedded solid, and covering them back up would be appreciated.

Franklin Wildlife Removal Services
251-721-3011
Re: Bedding and covering traps in the muck [Re: URBANTRAPPER1] #6458096
02/11/19 03:13 PM
02/11/19 03:13 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline
trapper
TheBig1  Offline
trapper

Kingston, PA
Have you tried the Pipe Dream method of bedding your trap? You might want to look into that. Just search it on here and Google it.

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: Bedding and covering traps in the muck [Re: URBANTRAPPER1] #6458349
02/11/19 07:38 PM
02/11/19 07:38 PM
South Alabama
B
Bayou Trapper Offline
trapper
Bayou Trapper  Offline
trapper
B

South Alabama
Urban, I think we have talked a while back, we have certainly had our share of nasty weather down south! When I 1st got on the forum a year or so ago I had to get advise on " dry land trapping". I hadn't trapped in a long time and trapping coyotes and fox in the hill country and piney woods was new to me. I had grown up trapping the bayous of south Mississippi and Louisiana, and mink, coons, rats, beavers were main target. I'm not by any means an authority on the subject, but an old trapper showed me a couple tricks trapping muddy trails and marshy muddy conditions. He very seldom covered his traps like you see land trappers doing w/ a sifter. Most heavily used trails had standing water or soupy mud in them. He would take mud from the trail and cover the pan of the trap. Sometimes he would even take a leaf and stick it to the pan. Then he would just ease the trap down in the muck. A lot of times if you looked close you could even make out the outline of the trap in the mud. He usually set 2 traps pretty close together and anchor them w/ pieces of bamboo cane we would cut on the river. Most of our northern brothers probably wondering how you could catch anything like this, and I agree a coyote or a fox probably wouldn't step in this set. But then again you wouldn't see a coyote or a fox in this part of the world unless they had a pirogue! It was so wet and muddy lot of times we worked most traps from the boat. Well, didn't mean to ramble on, your post / question just reminded me of how we use to deal w/ those conditions. " bayou"

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91