No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Land #6446527
01/31/19 09:50 AM
01/31/19 09:50 AM
central pa
D
dirthole90 Offline OP
trapper
dirthole90  Offline OP
trapper
D

central pa
I was looking to buy some land and before I could get to it the owner signed a contract to go to auction. The owner upon hearing of my interest checked on getting out on contract but was advised they can’t. So now I am looking to buy through an auction. I already have a house with equity. I am just looking for tips from people who have gone through this if there is anything I should be doing such a perk testing, or soil samples, or having some one walk it for timber, researching the deed for mineral rights, etc. auction is a little ways out and just looking to do my homework. Can you borrow against your house with equity and is that different than a land loan? Thanks guys.

Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6446668
01/31/19 11:11 AM
01/31/19 11:11 AM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
if you are looking at a loan - go talk to the people that will be giving you the loan, they may have requirements.

if you are planning on timbering and using funds for payment, I'd definitely get that checked out.
I would absolutely check the deed and platwork for the property -bank will likely require a title report which would dig this out as well.

i dont know about PA, but in VA, if you don't perk for a conventional system - there are alternative systems, though they are spendy, typically in the $25K plus range

Josh
Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6446672
01/31/19 11:16 AM
01/31/19 11:16 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Why is it going to auction? Is he being foreclosed on?

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Land [Re: waggler] #6446678
01/31/19 11:19 AM
01/31/19 11:19 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Land auctions are becoming a more popular way to sell land parcels, especially when prices have been higher as they have the last decade or so. We have several in our area each year.

Bryce

Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6446688
01/31/19 11:33 AM
01/31/19 11:33 AM
Lyndon, Kansas
Railroader Offline
trapper
Railroader  Offline
trapper

Lyndon, Kansas
Guess it depends on what you intend to do with the land. If for building a home you should make sure that its possible to run utilities and what the cost might be. We just purchased two properties one by owner and the other through a realtor and the realtor was a huge help. She told us what to look for and what to expect. We also contacted the County Clerk who gave us some insight on what the rules and regs were for a future home build. If you know a realtor by chance maybe they could give you some advice. We also knew a gal at the local Title and Escrow company who walked us through the contract and contingencies when we purchased the land that was for sale by owner. Title company should be able to tell you what you want to know about the deed. We had no inspections or tests before hand because the realtor said it wasnt necessary. Both tracts that we purchased are currently ag, part tillable/hay and some in timber. If purchasing for hunting land then there shouldnt be much to do except make sure its what you want in a hunting property. You may be able to borrow against the home equity but will have to pay closing costs again. We have another hunting property, that has no lien against it, that we were able to borrow a little $ against for a downpayment. We could have borrowed the full amount against the other land but didnt want to tie it up and have a lien against it. Good luck!

Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6446695
01/31/19 11:39 AM
01/31/19 11:39 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
My parents recently purchased a home through and auction,
They needed the 10% down and then they had to go through
There bank and do everything like a normal purchas, the auction company
Basically acted as the realtor In there situation. They ended up just using
Savings instead of a loan because they were able to get in there faster that way.
Yes you should be able to buy it with a home equity loan depending on your debt to income
Ratio and credit.

Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6446711
01/31/19 11:49 AM
01/31/19 11:49 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by dirthole90
I was looking to buy some land and before I could get to it the owner signed a contract to go to auction. The owner upon hearing of my interest checked on getting out on contract but was advised they can’t. So now I am looking to buy through an auction. I already have a house with equity. I am just looking for tips from people who have gone through this if there is anything I should be doing such a perk testing, or soil samples, or having some one walk it for timber, researching the deed for mineral rights, etc. auction is a little ways out and just looking to do my homework. Can you borrow against your house with equity and is that different than a land loan? Thanks guys.

All,of the above including title search and search for any outstanding liens or easements.

I think if you have enough equity in your home you can pull a Heloc loan and purchase it that way. Be careful of the interst rates.

Osky

You can get the legal property description, county property number whatever, and call your local title company and have them do a "track" search on the land. That will show nearly any outstanding issues against the property. Up here it costs about 125.00 dollars. Cheap insuranc

Last edited by Osky; 01/31/19 11:54 AM.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6446853
01/31/19 01:37 PM
01/31/19 01:37 PM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
As far as price goes, you need to know what land goes for in your area. Most bidders won’t go over the going rate and most people bidding will be hoping that they get it for under the going rate. I have bought and also sold land at auction. Also does owner have minimum bid. If not start your first bid really low as that will scare some of the other buyers out if they didn’t do all of the research( mineral rights title search ect.) they will think there is a problem and back off. Just saying
Good luck

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6447048
01/31/19 05:54 PM
01/31/19 05:54 PM
central pa
D
dirthole90 Offline OP
trapper
dirthole90  Offline OP
trapper
D

central pa
The people that own it are older and simply don’t use it. It borders state land and is 120 acres. I live about a half hour away and would like to sit on it and work slowly on it until finally moving to it.

Re: Land [Re: dirthole90] #6447057
01/31/19 06:09 PM
01/31/19 06:09 PM
Lyndon, Kansas
Railroader Offline
trapper
Railroader  Offline
trapper

Lyndon, Kansas
My bank required appraisals on the land we just purchased also. So you will want to talk to your bank ASAP and find out if they require it as well. if so, you will have to schedule an appraisal before the auction. If you have enough money down then maybe they wont require the appraisal?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread