Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Overheating ?? [Re: yukon254] #6443814
01/29/19 02:58 AM
01/29/19 02:58 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Not sure about how the intake works on your Bearcat, however snogos can get carb ice like an airplane does. Even tho the temp is above freezing, the temp in the venturi of the carb is below freezing. Warm day, breaking trail, likely lots of moisture in the air going in to the carbs. That moisture freezes and the air intake of the carb gets smaller and smaller and the machine runs richer and richer. Pretty soon it's so rich the motor bogs down. When you stop, the heat of the engine may sink in and partially or completely melt the ice in the carb. This is not a FUEL problem, it is an intake problem.
Perhaps when you stopped, the carbs warmed up and the ice melted and you were able to restart and continue. On occasion I have carried a thermos of hot water to poor on the carbs to help them warm up.
Back in the 80s the Yamaha 340 enticers were terrible about this happening. The intake in the front of the hood had the air going over the exhaust. Any friesh snow would spray up from the skiis and go into the hood, melt to vapor on the exhaust, and then that moist air would choke down the carb pretty quick. I had an enticer and I put a burlap bag over the front to minimize the snow going in the front.
mt

Re: Overheating ?? [Re: yukon254] #6444065
01/29/19 11:23 AM
01/29/19 11:23 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Sounds like changing the fuel filter would be a good ( and cheap ) idea . On a horizontal fuel filter the sediments start to build from the bottom of the filter and eventually cover the draw line after a long ride. When you stop and shut down the machine the sediment settled back down and will run again . These run times will become shorter and shorter ! You may have gotten a dirty batch of gas and it may take a few filters to clear this up !

Good luck!

Re: Overheating ?? [Re: yukon254] #6444095
01/29/19 11:46 AM
01/29/19 11:46 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Lots of good info here thanks guys. martentrapper I think you're on to something there. I remember the old Yamahas having that problem. I should have thought of that, Im betting thats what it was. I remember smelling a lot of smoke like it was running really rich....

The way they designed the hoods on the Bearcats is about as stupid as it gets and a lot of snow does get in.

Last edited by yukon254; 01/29/19 11:47 AM.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Overheating ?? [Re: martentrapper] #6444099
01/29/19 11:48 AM
01/29/19 11:48 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Not sure about how the intake works on your Bearcat, however snogos can get carb ice like an airplane does. Even tho the temp is above freezing, the temp in the venturi of the carb is below freezing. Warm day, breaking trail, likely lots of moisture in the air going in to the carbs. That moisture freezes and the air intake of the carb gets smaller and smaller and the machine runs richer and richer. Pretty soon it's so rich the motor bogs down. When you stop, the heat of the engine may sink in and partially or completely melt the ice in the carb. This is not a FUEL problem, it is an intake problem.
Perhaps when you stopped, the carbs warmed up and the ice melted and you were able to restart and continue. On occasion I have carried a thermos of hot water to poor on the carbs to help them warm up.
Back in the 80s the Yamaha 340 enticers were terrible about this happening. The intake in the front of the hood had the air going over the exhaust. Any friesh snow would spray up from the skiis and go into the hood, melt to vapor on the exhaust, and then that moist air would choke down the carb pretty quick. I had an enticer and I put a burlap bag over the front to minimize the snow going in the front.
mt

I remember exactly what you are describing Mike. I have sat with a lighter directed into the carbs to melt ice !!

Had a similar thing happen on an outboard in a snow storm !

Mean As Nails
Re: Overheating ?? [Re: yukon254] #6444257
01/29/19 02:28 PM
01/29/19 02:28 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
I have also experimented with putting some sort of cloth over the rubber hose of the bravo intake. Bravos are similar to old enticers with exhaust in front and air going over the exhaust.
Mostly our cold dry air is not conducive to carb ice but in the right conditions it can be a problem.
mt

Re: Overheating ?? [Re: yukon254] #6444361
01/29/19 04:54 PM
01/29/19 04:54 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Dave
I check all of my fuel tanks for water using Kolor Kut. I have a 1/4" hardwood dowel and put a dab of Color Kut on the end of the dowel put it in the tank and the stuff turns red you have water in your tank. Make sure you test the tank by inclining the tank so you check the deep end of the fuel.

Do you have snow screens on all the vents on your Bearcat. That will HELP keeping the snow out from under the cowling.

Re: Overheating ?? [Re: white17] #6444376
01/29/19 05:13 PM
01/29/19 05:13 PM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
Originally Posted by white17
Stick with the red bottle
X2

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise."
Re: Overheating ?? [Re: yukon254] #6444938
01/30/19 12:07 AM
01/30/19 12:07 AM
Homer, Alaska
S
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"
Spek Jones  Offline
"FATHER"
S

Homer, Alaska
I've never worked on a bearcat so not sure about the configuration. Back in the day's when Elan's were everywhere they were designed with the fuel line running between the motor mounts under the crankcase, and not so very far away from the muffler. On warm days, pulling a load in wet snow, it would get hot enough under the hood to cause the gas in the fuel line to boil, which creates a vapor lock in the line, and the engine would start bogging out. In those conditions we would jerk the cowling off and put it on the sled and run her on in. Just one more possibility to check out.

Re: Overheating ?? [Re: ] #6444947
01/30/19 12:16 AM
01/30/19 12:16 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline OP
trapper
yukon254  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Oh Snap

Dave
I check all of my fuel tanks for water using Kolor Kut. I have a 1/4" hardwood dowel and put a dab of Color Kut on the end of the dowel put it in the tank and the stuff turns red you have water in your tank. Make sure you test the tank by inclining the tank so you check the deep end of the fuel.

Do you have snow screens on all the vents on your Bearcat. That will HELP keeping the snow out from under the cowling.

I've never heard of Kolor Kut but it sounds like a great idea. I will find some. I do have snow screens, but one is ripped pretty good. I put some J cloth over it though.

Spek I actually noticed the main fuel line does run under the crankcase. Im not sure why since the fuel line comes out of the tank just above the carbs. Something to check for sure, thanks.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman