No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433503
01/19/19 11:40 AM
01/19/19 11:40 AM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
I have always been vocal about the restrictions imposed against my fellow americans... you are makeing me reconsider

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433519
01/19/19 12:26 PM
01/19/19 12:26 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Nice white leather on most Dec caught coon in this state. Sure, the weather can be a crap shoot in Dec but I've seen winter come Veterans Day and stay so you never can tell. A person can certainly catch coons in Dec but perhaps not in the numbers as in Nov so it all comes back to big numbers again for non-resident trappers and I suppose that's a concern given that their license is $250. Could switch over to targeting k-9s that don't have the same nr season restrictions as muskrats, coons, and mink. Or go trap one of the Native American reservations that have control (and their own non-tribal member regs) trapping seasons. That might be interesting.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: Hydropillar] #6433525
01/19/19 12:32 PM
01/19/19 12:32 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Hydropillar

you are right they are holed up... big bunches in old farm housed ,, old farm houses usually have big xxxx coon, hay stacks ,wood piles ect... best if ya have a hound to locate them. or a yag or hole dog to move em around....oops outta staters cant hunt coon with dogs here.

Well Geeze,

There's another stupid anti-non-resident rule to keep Out of Staters from harvesting coon that the State of S.D. wants to put a ineffective, unneeded, year-round bounty on.

Clip the tail off that coon and throw the rest away year round, but whatever you do, don't let one of those nasty non-residents harvest that coon and put it to good use in a manner consistent with sound conservation (wise use) practices.

New York State allows Non-resident Coon Hunters to use dogs to harvest raccoon with the same regulations that apply to resident hunters and trappers.

Sad.

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: NonPCfed] #6433531
01/19/19 12:39 PM
01/19/19 12:39 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Nice white leather on most Dec caught coon in this state. Sure, the weather can be a crap shoot in Dec but I've seen winter come Veterans Day and stay so you never can tell. A person can certainly catch coons in Dec but perhaps not in the numbers as in Nov so it all comes back to big numbers again for non-resident trappers and I suppose that's a concern given that their license is $250. Could switch over to targeting k-9s that don't have the same nr season restrictions as muskrats, coons, and mink. Or go trap one of the Native American reservations that have control (and their own non-tribal member regs) trapping seasons. That might be interesting.

The point is the absurdity of the State of S.D. having restrictions on Non-resident hunters & trapper's harvest of Raccoon while simultaneously proposing a year round, un-needed, ineffective bounty on the same animals.

It's the Theater of the Bizarre.

w

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433551
01/19/19 12:58 PM
01/19/19 12:58 PM
South Dakota
J
jasonv Offline
trapper
jasonv  Offline
trapper
J

South Dakota
I have pulled 11 coon out of a hollow tree in December.
Our record was 21 coon out of a silo. I think that was in January.

We also got the most coon when it got really cold.

Last edited by jasonv; 01/19/19 01:13 PM.

Signature: (up to 150 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: jasonv] #6433558
01/19/19 01:09 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by jasonv
I have pulled a coon out of a hollow tree in December.
Our record was we coon out of a silo. I think that was in January.

Did you use a length of barbwire to pull the Coon out of the hollow tree. ?

What was the record number of coon out of a silo ?

Translate we coon.

w

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433560
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
not counting reciprocosity,how many other states still restrict non residents.i know Minn. cause my buddy les can't come here and trap.can both go over to NY and trap together though.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: walleyed] #6433571
01/19/19 01:19 PM
01/19/19 01:19 PM
South Dakota
J
jasonv Offline
trapper
jasonv  Offline
trapper
J

South Dakota
Originally Posted by walleyed
I have pulled a coon out of a hollow tree in December.
Our record was we coon out of a silo. I think that was in January.

Translate we coon.

w

Sorry. I edited my post to fix.
11 out of the tree and 21 from silo. The silo coon is a pretty good story I might type up later.

Used bard wire all the time. I had a bag of tools I kept in the truck I called my coon gettin bag. A big sharp treble hook on a length of twine was another one I used to use in haysheds when a dead coon was stuck down between the bales and we couldn’t reach it.

Also 8ft lengths of conduit that could hook together to get really long with a sharp hook on the end to get up into a tall cottonwood to pull a dead coon down.

Signature: (up to 150 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: jasonv] #6433586
01/19/19 01:33 PM
01/19/19 01:33 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by walleyed

Translate we coon.

w

Sorry. I edited my post to fix.
11 out of the tree and 21 from silo. The silo coon is a pretty good story I might type up later.

Used bard wire all the time. I had a bag of tools I kept in the truck I called my coon gettin bag. A big sharp treble hook on a length of twine was another one I used to use in haysheds when a dead coon was stuck down between the bales and we couldn’t reach it.

Also 8ft lengths of conduit that could hook together to get really long with a sharp hook on the end to get up into a tall cottonwood to pull a dead coon down.

Do you need a fishing license to angle for coon ?

Can a nonresident obtain a coon fishing license

or are we barred from that method as well ? laugh

w

Last edited by walleyed; 01/19/19 01:35 PM.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433603
01/19/19 01:50 PM
01/19/19 01:50 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I'd like to see walleyed climb up into a cottonwood tree to noodle out coon. Maybe he could sell tickets to that one and pay for his non-resident trapping/shooting license...?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433650
01/19/19 02:30 PM
01/19/19 02:30 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
34 outta one big old house and cpl out buildings was record for us . we were there all day .that was the place my old (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) female dog kept going to this wash machine out in a garage and howling i crawled around shining light everywhere no coon would take her to the action back in the house and the kids.... finally after about the 3rd time i opened the lid there he was he had learned how to open the lid and had a cozy living spot!
... its been on the books forever to restrict outta staters w dogs .. im really mad cause it affects me the worst as i live near nd border and cant run the hounds there either !! never thought i should blame it on all my buddies from nd!!

Last edited by Hydropillar; 01/19/19 02:34 PM.

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: pcr2] #6433667
01/19/19 02:44 PM
01/19/19 02:44 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by pcr2
not counting reciprocosity,how many other states still restrict non residents.i know Minn. cause my buddy les can't come here and trap.can both go over to NY and trap together though.

MN,WI, MI, NV, ND, MT might be others

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: NonPCfed] #6433676
01/19/19 02:51 PM
01/19/19 02:51 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

I'd like to see walleyed climb up into a cottonwood tree to noodle out coon. Maybe he could sell tickets to that one and pay for his non-resident trapping/shooting license...?

Before I discovered where the cheeseburgers were hidden, When I was in my early twenties, I worked as a climber for a few tree companies.

Now I'd use Cherry picker/bucket truck If I was going to harvest coon at extended elevation. laugh

w

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433683
01/19/19 02:58 PM
01/19/19 02:58 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
If coon did not travel in the cold they would be extinct that's when they breed! LOL Have had coons plugging up my cat sets this year "oh my" I am still trapping how can that be, impossible? Well you are one of the few to complain about coon the lions share think it's all about the rats here and it's not we have a lot to offer. I can start on most critters anytime but I start the 3rd week of Oct and I trap up to before the badgers start to pup. Our weather is not your weather but then your not trapping here just complaining about it.

Last edited by Law Dog; 01/19/19 03:52 PM. Reason: Oct not Nov

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433687
01/19/19 03:02 PM
01/19/19 03:02 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Now I'd use Cherry picker/bucket truck If I was going to harvest coon at extended elevation. laugh

That still might be something to see!!

Do any of the northern NY coon get graded W. Northern or W. North-Central or do they mostly grade E. North-Central or Canadian...?

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: pcr2] #6433690
01/19/19 03:05 PM
01/19/19 03:05 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by pcr2

Why can't your buddy come here and trap?

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433782
01/19/19 04:31 PM
01/19/19 04:31 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Les can trap in PA

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433794
01/19/19 04:37 PM
01/19/19 04:37 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I find it strange that people that have never been here or never plan on coming here that know little about how things are have so much to say. I remember my first trip to Arizona I thought trapping the middle of the washes was the place to set I quick learned that you trap the edges. I was told they are traveling when they were in the middle of the draws and hunting when they worked the edge of the draws. Made sense after I learned that but that came with the experience.

We have several weather patterns in our State some areas are very cold for most of the winter some areas stay above freezing during the same time. Just ran into a bit of serious frost last week its been freezing and thawing a lot. Where I live we have had 3 snow storms so far but where I trap cats at 50 miles away they have only had 1 storm and are always warmer then we are.

We have few trees here in SD compared to other places so our coons don't have the den tree options like in a lot of places so they favor hay stacks and old farmsteads along with brush/junk piles and culverts. I talk about access often as that is probably the #1 hurdle to trapping in the East especially in States that lack a lot of public lands. I know in IL it was a struggle to line up just a few places but a local in the farm country had a lot more options to trap on so what chance would a NR have?

People come here and trap and do well but they won't speak up, the reasons should be obvious and I don't blame them the way some behave on here. LOL Most of the negatives in other States don't apply here including the access issues, ROW trapping, snares, crowding and less theft problems. I cannot think of a eastern State that has the same to offer us but we offer it to others.

It's just a shame that the ones driving the wedge and not seeing what is being offered for now that just drive people to the "other side" but then they have nothing to lose so what are they really doing at the end of the day but making it worse.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: NonPCfed] #6433798
01/19/19 04:46 PM
01/19/19 04:46 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

That still might be something to see!!

Do any of the northern NY coon get graded W. Northern or W. North-Central or do they mostly grade E. North-Central or Canadian...?

Mostly Northern if they measure 7.5" to 8" at the base of skirt.

If they are 9" at the base of skirt, they always grade Canadian.

They tend to be wooley.and yellow necked

w

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6433802
01/19/19 04:48 PM
01/19/19 04:48 PM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
OK!!! OK!!! you'er state is great. You'er state passes nothing but good laws. Everybody else doesn't know squat, and their state sucks. GOOD NIGHT!

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread