No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Aix sponsa] #6417843
01/03/19 11:46 PM
01/03/19 11:46 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I like wool duffle for backing(Hudson bay blanket),but it is pricey.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Aix sponsa] #6418260
01/04/19 02:30 PM
01/04/19 02:30 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline
trapper
N

New York
Rich Mellon from Trapping TV Canada said in an episode last year he and his wife were making a bedspread out of beavers they saved over the years. Maybe call him. http://www.trappinginc.com/contact.html

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Aix sponsa] #6418261
01/04/19 02:31 PM
01/04/19 02:31 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
When fur prices are in the tank, it looks like the ones that sell these goods are the ones that have the last laugh!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a FINE product, but....When entire beavers (here) bring $5 each? Wow. Wasn’t expecting that.

Good thing they were running the $2500 off special when I looked!

https://www.fursource.com/beaver-fu...Y0vTS3wIViP_jBx0heg-5EAQYASABEgKLVPD_BwE

Fur Source does nothing for trappers. Will not make custom blankets or donate to any cause related to trappers interests. Research who furthers our trapping privileges and support that company. as a group we should be more concerned about who we deal with.

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: wy.wolfer] #6419554
01/05/19 09:10 PM
01/05/19 09:10 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
When fur prices are in the tank, it looks like the ones that sell these goods are the ones that have the last laugh!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a FINE product, but....When entire beavers (here) bring $5 each? Wow. Wasn’t expecting that.

Fur Source does nothing for trappers. Will not make custom blankets or donate to any cause related to trappers interests. Research who furthers our trapping privileges and support that company. as a group we should be more concerned about who we deal with.

I appreciate the information. I won’t send business to those that won’t reinvest.

Thank you

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Aix sponsa] #6429107
01/15/19 11:17 AM
01/15/19 11:17 AM
Alberta
R
RichM AB Offline
trapper
RichM AB  Offline
trapper
R

Alberta
[quote=wy.wolfer][quote=Aix sponsa]When fur prices are in the tank, it looks like the ones that sell these goods are the ones that have the last laugh!

We just had 22 beaver tanned, plucked and sheared to make a blanket. The tanning was $97 each, plucking and shearing an addition $25 each so for a grand total of $2684 for just the beavers to make the blanket. I supplied my own beaver and don't have the bill for the making of the blanket yet. This is in Canada but the costs add up fast!

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Aix sponsa] #6429220
01/15/19 01:33 PM
01/15/19 01:33 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
My friend Willy Firewood mentioned a beaver pelt blanket or bedspread as being a good way to use pelts...I really think that’d be nice to have.

I’ve never had anything made with pelts (or made anything myself), so I have a few questions.

Do I need to skin them any differently? . The end product will be rectangular, the standard method leaves the pelt circular, and it’s hard to make rectangles with circles, so I was wondering if a different pelting process would mean less trimmed off and lost....?

Does anyone know approximately how many pelts I should plan to send off to make a king size blanket?

Anyone have a beaver blanket they’d care to show pictures of?

As cheap as beaver are buy some really nice northern pelts that are the same size, same color, and same texture, then have that made into a blanket. Your Louisiana beaver will make a blanket that is very poor quality, unless you just want one you caught yourself.

Thank you,

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: RichM AB] #6429223
01/15/19 01:35 PM
01/15/19 01:35 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by RichM AB
[quote=wy.wolfer][quote=Aix sponsa]When fur prices are in the tank, it looks like the ones that sell these goods are the ones that have the last laugh!

We just had 22 beaver tanned, plucked and sheared to make a blanket. The tanning was $97 each, plucking and shearing an addition $25 each so for a grand total of $2684 for just the beavers to make the blanket. I supplied my own beaver and don't have the bill for the making of the blanket yet. This is in Canada but the costs add up fast!

You can buy a blanket at retail for less than this.

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Aix sponsa] #6429246
01/15/19 01:56 PM
01/15/19 01:56 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
I recently made a lap throw for a customer, he sent me 8 beaver of various sizes, tho once done it looked like 6 all together. Ended up being 60x36 and made a perfect size lap blanket. It was trimmed with red fox. (Not shown in this pic because it wasn't done yet).

[Linked Image]

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Boco] #6429247
01/15/19 01:59 PM
01/15/19 01:59 PM
Billings, MT
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper
Wolfwoman  Offline
trapper

Billings, MT
Originally Posted by Boco
Hexagonal.You will need beavers all the same size.-very minimal wasteage.20-25 lg med beavers will make a big blanket.
You could also make a beaver plate into a blanket.(that's all the leftover pieces sewn together and blocked out and trimmed.)

I will have to try this next time with the hexagon style. Sounds like it would utilize more fur.

Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: Aix sponsa] #6429267
01/15/19 02:29 PM
01/15/19 02:29 PM
Alaska
S
Super Wide Offline
trapper
Super Wide  Offline
trapper
S

Alaska
I had one made. It's a queen bed size. It took 16 beaver and it is lined around the outside with 20 mink. Each beaver was cut into 1" strips, then each strip moved down from the last strip, a few inches, then sewn all back together, making it square. Then each square beaver was sewn to the next one. 4 across and 4 down, makes 16 total beaver. They lined the outside with 20 mink in a continuous strip all the way around the 16 beaver. They also sewed the entire blanket to a backing blanket that has a waterproof membrane inside the backing blanket. It covers to the floor, so it could fit a King bed easily, I just have it on a Queen bed. It must weigh 30 pounds because of the backing blanket. No, you cannot sleep under it. I paid $2200 for the sewing, pleating, blocking, backing blanket etc. It's appraised at $6000. All beaver and mink were caught by me in Alaska, so it's priceless to me. I had the beavers and mink tanned by Moyles, great job as usual, don't remember what I paid for the tanning, but worth it in the end.

My Super Wide will pull your broken down 4 stroke, up a hill backwards, with you on it!
Re: Beavers::: Pelts for Blankets, etc [Re: RichM AB] #6429277
01/15/19 02:46 PM
01/15/19 02:46 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by RichM AB

$97 each for tanning seems high to me. I had one done about 5 years ago for $35. My buddy who has more money than god bought one from Cabelas for about $3200, very expensive but man it is nice.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread