No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6406327
12/22/18 09:48 PM
12/22/18 09:48 PM
Pennsylvania
PA_K-9_Trapper Offline
trapper
PA_K-9_Trapper  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Thanks Mr. Goodman for having this contest again this year. Here's my entry:

Name: Zachary Mosier

State: Pennsylvania

My perception of what would create “The Best Christmas Ever” is fairly simple. Throughout the year, with work, school, and other activities coming into play, it becomes hard to run a sizeable trapline. One of the most terrific things about Christmas is I have plenty of time to not only set a line, but I also can spend time with my family. There are only certain times of year when I get off of school and work, Thanksgiving, spring break, the first two days of deer season, and of course Christmas. So, I try to make the most of that time by setting out a larger than normal line, as well as taking out friends and family hunting with my German Shorthair.

Coyotes and fox are among my favorite target animals, because of the challenge they present to catch. Though unique to the Christmas season is the opportunity to harvest a Pennsylvania bobcat or fisher. Both of which have a relatively short season. Fishers have a ten day window of opportunity, and bobcats have twenty days. This year, in particular, I have put extra effort in my attempt to catch a fisher in season. I have harvested bobcats before but never been able to keep a fisher. My dad and I pre-baited several locations while monitoring them with trail cameras. Many of the locations yielded fishers that did not hesitate to work the “mock sets”. In fact, more than one was coming back on a cycle, with the weather staying fairly consistent.

Opening day came for fisher, and I set out my best locations. Unfortunately, the temperature warmed up and the snow changed to rain. This seemed to alter their patterns and they quit working the sets. Except for one enormous fisher. It had come back after three days and worked an oversized dirt-hole I had punched in near to my pre-baited cubby. Captured all on camera, he was pinched, was held for about two hours, and then finally pulled out. We were frustrated, but hey that’s trapping. Fisher is still in for a few more days, and connecting on one would definitely make this year an awesome Christmas.

On top of running the trapline and getting to keep a fisher, “The Best Christmas Ever” would also include time spent with my family. My dad and I spend a lot of time in the outdoors together, but Christmas is the time of year to visit with extended family, as well as immediate family. It’s nice to see relatives that don’t live close or converse with family I just might not have seen for a while. Put simply, an exceptional Christmas would entail extra time in the outdoors, and time spent with my family.

My drawing: The animal that would help make this the best Christmas ever...

20181222_203216.jpg
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6406688
12/23/18 11:00 AM
12/23/18 11:00 AM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Hey Zachary! Most excellent entry! Welcome to the contest!! Nicely done!

Now, you other kids better get a move on your entries! You gonna let these guys run away with all that prize money!!!? smile

Long-time Staff Artist at Fur-Fish-Game magazine
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6406861
12/23/18 02:25 PM
12/23/18 02:25 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline
trapper

Central/Western Texas
Good drawing!

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6407166
12/23/18 08:37 PM
12/23/18 08:37 PM
wisconsin
B
big momma Offline
trapper
big momma  Offline
trapper
B

wisconsin
My Best Christmas!
Olivia Opsahl
State: Wisconsin

My best Christmas would have to be when we got our dog Buck. My birthday is Christmas day, so he was a surprise for me. One day my Grandma came and picked up my littlest sister ( who was two at the time ) and my mom. My other sister ( who was six at the time ) asked my dad how long they would be gone, and he said about six hours. I didn't know where they were going, so I started to get suspicious. After they left, my dad went outside to skin a beaver, and I took that as an opportunity to look around...You'll never believe what I found in the storage room... DOG TOYS AND A DOG BED. OH MY GOSH, WE'RE GETTING A PUPPY!!! I though after I found those. I interrogated my sister and she spilled the beans. After that happened she begged me not to tell and to act surprised. So when I saw the headlights in the driveway, I KNEW our puppy was HOME. My mom brought buck inside, and put him on the hardwood floor. He was NOT used to the floor because he slid around like crazy. It didn't take him long to get used to it though. My sisters and I were sooooo excited, and I can't imagine a better Christmas. Buck is now two years old, and I sneak him up to my room when nobody is looking, just to snuggle with him at night. Well, that's all folks! Thanks for reading, and have a very Merry Christmas everyone. - Olivia Opsahl

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6407169
12/23/18 08:39 PM
12/23/18 08:39 PM
wisconsin
B
big momma Offline
trapper
big momma  Offline
trapper
B

wisconsin
[Linked Image]

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6407213
12/23/18 09:31 PM
12/23/18 09:31 PM
Illinois. U.S.
Alf Edwards Offline
trapper
Alf Edwards  Offline
trapper

Illinois. U.S.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER

We were in my Grandpa's cabin in Idaho. My 13 year old aunt, Fallon, her fuzzy Alaskan Malamute named Apache, and I were sleeping in the loft of the cabin. When we woke up we could smell the smoke of the cedar in the wood stove. Everybody let us sleep in so they could make breakfast. So when we got up we saw my Dad baking some gluten free doughnut holes for all of us. They have to be gluten free for my Mom and I. After we all ate we let the dogs open their gifts. All of the dogs got a toy. Here are their names. My Grandpa's dogs names are Apache, Bella, and Skeeter, and they have a horse named Beauty. Then our dogs names are Shoshoni, Rustler, and Judah. Then outside all of the snow on the pine trees and mountains were so beautiful. There were a couple of moose outside. Then, it felt like I was being shaken. It turned out my Mom and Dad were shaking me awake and it all turned out to be a dream.
Then they said it was Christmas morning! When I got up my Dad had a tray of doughnut holes! Then after we ate them we opened the presents. My parents got some CDs and my Dad got two of his favorite trapping t shirts. Then I got to open my presents. The smallest one was a horse statue. Then, the biggest one was a crossbow. I was so happy! Now my goal is to harvest a deer with it. I harvested two deer during shotgun season with a muzzleloader, but nothing during bow season.
There is one thing we need to remember and that is Christmas is not about the presents, but it is about Jesus' birth. Hopefully next year the dream does come true in the mountains of Idaho!!! THE END

Cody Lynn Edwards
Age 10
Illinois

Last edited by Alf Edwards; 12/24/18 11:01 AM.
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6407382
12/24/18 12:38 AM
12/24/18 12:38 AM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Well, well, we have another wonderful entry from Cody Lynn Edwards! Welcome back to the contest, young lady! Very good to see your work again! There is a slight problem, though. I am unable to read your hand written entry from the photo you took, so please take the time and TYPE it into your entry, so all Trapperman members (and us judges!) may read and enjoy it. As per the rules stated above, I wish to ask all contestants to please type their entry so it is visible and readable. If you are having trouble, please ask a parent for help!

THANK YOU AND GREAT JOB!

Last edited by JoeGoodman; 12/24/18 10:33 AM.

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6407395
12/24/18 12:52 AM
12/24/18 12:52 AM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
A big welcome to Olivia to our contest! The girls are giving the guys some REAL COMPETITION this evening! I love to see that! Things are heating up nicely on this chilly night!

Well DONE!!!

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408055
12/24/18 07:45 PM
12/24/18 07:45 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Cody that is a great story. Patients and perseverance will get you a deer with that cross bow. Good luck.

jim
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408075
12/24/18 08:08 PM
12/24/18 08:08 PM
East Ohio
Jeff Offline
trapper
Jeff  Offline
trapper

East Ohio
"THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER "

Tylee Davis
State: Ohio

What a very hard choice to make, The Best Christmas Ever. Well after several days and many hours of tying to think back and remember what was my best Christmas ever since I just turned 12 this year that means I have only had 11 Christmas holidays to choose from. I really do not remember the very first one since I was just 10 days old because I was born on 12/15/2006. But I am sure that was a very special Christmas being my first one and only 10 days old. I did ask my mommy what I got and she said lots of cute little outfits and many toys that made a lot of noise.

Well I tried to remember my second, third, forth, fifth Christmas with not much luck remembering any of them,since I was still very little. Again I asked my mommy what I got and she said lots of toys and clothes and a sled. I do remember getting a bright green saucer sled for my fifth Christmas. I could not wait to take it outside and use it when we got snow. It was so much fun sled riding down the hill in my green saucer sled. We have videos of me going down the hill in it and then falling off and my face would be covered with snow. That was a lot of fun.

Then came my sixth Christmas and I remember getting lots of toys, clothes and a new fishing pole. I really wanted a fishing pole since I out grew my little one that I had for a few years. I did get the new fishing pole and could not wait to use it. My Pap takes me fishing all the time. We did go fishing soon after Christmas on a warm day and I caught lots of bluegills. I still use that fishing pole today, I have caught lots of different fish with it and I remember getting it so that was a special Christmas.

My 7th Christmas was very special because I remember getting something that I really wanted. I got my very first BB gun. I was so happy and proud. It was a Crossman 760, it shoots bb's and pellets. My Pap set up some targets and cans and I was so excited and couldn't wait to shoot it. Before I could even shoot it he always tells me safety is first. I got to shoot it and I remember hitting all the cans, I did hit the targets but not the bullseye in the middle, but I was close. I still shoot my bb gun so my 7th Christmas very special.

The Best Christmas Ever would have to be my 8th because I finally got some of my very own traps to use. I have been trapping with my Pap and he has taught me so much about trapping, hunting, fishing and all about the outdoors. I was so excited and surprised that I got 6 new Victor #110 conibear traps for catching my favorite animal, the Muskrat. Muskrats are favorite animal to trap because they are pretty easy to catch. That was the first animal that I ever caught. They have really thick fur. I have a couple of then tanned and they are so soft. I like running my hands through their thick fur they are so soft.

I would like to say that all 11 Christmases have been special to me, I cant wait for #12 tonight, who knows maybe it will be, "The Best Christmas Ever"

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Thank You

Tylee Davis
[Linked Image]

Speedy Catch Wildlife Service

Member OSTA-NTA-NRA

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408089
12/24/18 08:21 PM
12/24/18 08:21 PM
Western New York
dinorocks Offline
trapper
dinorocks  Offline
trapper

Western New York
Merry Christmas Eve! Great submissions so far! I'm including this entry for my son...

"Thank you for the opportunity to participate in your contest!"

Colton Zack
Age 15
New York

My favorite Christmas memory is when I was gifted a trip to Idaho for Christmas. It was the last thing I expected so it came with a great deal of surprise. I opened a gift containing a book about fly fishing in Idaho and in the cover, a personalized message from my Dad. The message described a trip I could only dream of. In the summer of 2018 I would be flying to Idaho to fly fish on the South Fork of the Snake River! My Uncle and my Dad were going on it with me.

Once we arrived in Utah we rented a truck and drove to Idaho Falls, Idaho. In Idaho we set up our camp, met up with our guide, and settled in our tent. We had an action packed week with fly fishing, camping, hiking, and sightseeing. I have never seen and caught so many trout in my life! I caught Cutthroat Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout and Cutbow Trout (a cross between Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout). When on the Snake River we saw four moose and lots of Bald Eagles and Ospreys. I have never seen any moose before and the up close experience we had with one of them was unforgettable. Our guide was able to maneuver our drift boat right next to the moose. One of the rivers we fished, the Teton River, was crystal clear to the very bottom, even in deep pools, and we could see lots of trout swimming around!

On our trip we traveled to Hells Half Acre (the youngest lava flow win the continental US), the Grand Teton National Park, and the outskirts of Yellowstone National Park. We also saw two brown bears while on a hike in the Teton Mountains; one of which was very close to us!

This trip was most definitely the best trip I have ever been on and one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had! This was a great trip and I got to spent time with my Dad and my Uncle. I was even offered a job at a local guide shop when I’m old enough to work! Afterward I found out that the trip was mostly paid for by the previous year of trapping. We had had a good year, catching a couple Fisher and many Red Fox and Coyotes. I am very fortunate that I was able to go on this trip and am grateful that my family spent the time to plan it.

[Linked Image]

"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow" GD
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408165
12/24/18 10:01 PM
12/24/18 10:01 PM
E Central MO
A
Art Lee Offline
trapper
Art Lee  Offline
trapper
A

E Central MO
Thomas Lee
11 years old

A Trapper's Christmas

There once was a boy named Thomas. He hunted and trapped when ever he could, in hopes that he would be the best trapper in the world someday. By the time he turned 11 years old, he had his own traps and time to spare.
Thomas set out three days before Christmas to set his traps in hopes that the next day he would find a beaver. But the next day no beaver could be found. He waited patiently for the next day to come, but by the next day there still were no beavers around. So he went home, thinking it's Christmas Eve why is nothing around! Thomas went home and found stockings hung by the fireplace. He thought hopefully in the morning there would be new 330s in them! Then the young trapper went to bed. When he woke there were 330s and 220s and best of all a new trapping basket. So he grabbed up his new traps and basket and went to check his beaver set. What did he find? A beaver! As he walked home he hummed a Christmas tune, thinking this will be the best Christmas ever, and it was.
THE END.

Having a time of it posting a pic

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's easier to pick on rich women than bikers.

http://wildlifecontrolsolutions.com
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408172
12/24/18 10:07 PM
12/24/18 10:07 PM
E Central MO
A
Art Lee Offline
trapper
Art Lee  Offline
trapper
A

E Central MO
Meredith Lee
9 years old
The Best Christmas Ever!

I woke to a pink and purple unicorn on Christmas morning! I rode it in the backyard for a while. When I went back inside and there was a five tier cake! It was chocolate flavored cake with the most beautiful rainbow icing. Then my vbff sent me a text… She got a neon unicorn! So we got on our unicorns and met up at Starbucks for chocolate covered graham crackers and unicorn frappachinos!!! It was the best Christmas ever!

By Meredith Lee

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's easier to pick on rich women than bikers.

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408179
12/24/18 10:14 PM
12/24/18 10:14 PM
E Central MO
A
Art Lee Offline
trapper
Art Lee  Offline
trapper
A

E Central MO
[Linked Image]

Thomas Lee

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408181
12/24/18 10:18 PM
12/24/18 10:18 PM
E Central MO
A
Art Lee Offline
trapper
Art Lee  Offline
trapper
A

E Central MO
[Linked Image]

Meredith

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408183
12/24/18 10:19 PM
12/24/18 10:19 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Grace Woodall
“The Thumb” Michigan

The greatest Christmas Ever!

Hello my name is Grace Woodall. My oldest sister is Madison Woodall. I am 8 and she is an adult now. I am in third grade and Maddy is now in college.

One day around lunch time Maddy kept going to her car carrying suit cases and bags. I asked what was she doing? She said I am leaving for college. I asked what time she would be home? She said not until the weekend. I got a little upset. We spent a lot of time together. She is a good artist and we did art together a lot. She was just starting to teach me how to paint. She gave me a hug and told me she would call me each night. I was very sad.

The next day I asked my dad if Maddy was leaving and tearing our family apart. He said she was just going to school and it would be o.k. The weekend came and she was very busy. We barely had time to say anything. Then she was gone again.

After a couple weeks I started getting used to seeing her only once a week. I learned to be patient and wait for her to have time for me.

Christmas time is awesome! The best thing about Christmas is that all my family, INCLUDING MADDY, is home every night! I can see and talk to Maddy in the morning and night! We have time to do art together again! The first Christmas after Maddy went to college was the best Christmas ever! [Linked Image]

I used to love Christmas because of presents now I love all of the family being together. I learned that you do not know if they will all be there next year. So enjoy the time with them. Growing up is hard!

My picture is a painting. I have a harder time painting than drawing. It think it is because paint is a liquid and harder to control.

Merry Christmas!

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408195
12/24/18 10:38 PM
12/24/18 10:38 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Alright everyone, the contest is closed! I thank all who entered and participated! The judges will retire to deliberate the entries and determine this year's winners! We will announce the winners tomorrow morning, after Mrs. Claus has her coffee.

Merry Christmas to all the Trapperman family!

Joe, Julie, and Carly Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408625
12/25/18 02:29 PM
12/25/18 02:29 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Announcing the WINNERS of the 5th Annual Trapperman Kids Art & Writing in contest..........

In 3rd Place, and the winner of $50 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package:
Tylee Davis, Age 12, from Ohio!
Tylee: We loved how your story slowly built up from your past Christmases to your best Christmas Ever, your 8th, with anticipation for today. Your drawing was outstanding, and possibly the best one entered this year! Very well done, Tylee!!

In 2nd Place, and the winner of $75 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package:
Olivia Opsahl, Age 10, from Wisconsin!
Olivia: Your story about getting your dog, "Buck" for Christmas really tugged at our hearts, and truly could have been anyone's "Best Christmas Ever"! And your drawing, though simple, was well done and illustrated your story so nicely!! Excellent job, Olivia!!

AND THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER OF $100 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package is:
Micah Fetterolf, Age15, from Pennsylvania!
Micah: Your story about receiving your first 22 rifle for Christmas spoke to all the judges. Your excitement in telling the story was contagious, and made us all reflect back on great Christmases of our youth! We especially liked your ending in how that gift is still being enjoyed today. Your drawing was very detailed, and was a fine compliment to your writing! Awesome job, Micah!!

I now ask the winners to please have a parent private message me a note giving permission to send out your prizes, along with a USPS delivery address. I will not send any packages out without parental permission, please!

I wish to thank ALL the contestants who entered for your wonderful contributions this year! I hope you all enjoyed the contest. And thanks to all who read and enjoyed the hard work of these great kids! You are all assets to trapping and this great forum! And a special "THANK YOU" to Paul Dobbins for allowing us to host this contest again this year!

Merry Christmas to ALL of our Trapperman Family!

Joe, Julie, and Carly Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com

Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408670
12/25/18 03:36 PM
12/25/18 03:36 PM
Near state college, PA, God Bl...
trapre Offline
trapper
trapre  Offline
trapper

Near state college, PA, God Bl...
Thank you very much! I really looked forward to this contest all year! It made christmas day all the better! Thank you again Mr. and Mrs. Goodman!

"To not read the news is to be uninformed. To read the news is to be misinformed" -Mark Twain
Re: TMAN KIDS ART & WRITING CONTEST [Re: JoeGoodman] #6408686
12/25/18 04:05 PM
12/25/18 04:05 PM
Illinois. U.S.
Alf Edwards Offline
trapper
Alf Edwards  Offline
trapper

Illinois. U.S.
Congrats to all of the winners!!! Every kid had such good parts of their stories!

Tylee, your drawing and story were both so great!!! Being grateful for every year and every gift is so awesome and being grateful for all of our many blessings is a trait we must not forget..

Olivia, our family was definitely rooting for you! We love our dogs sooo much and any year that I would have got a puppy for Christmas would definitely be my BEST CHRISTMAS EVER as well!!! Enjoy your buddy Buck!

Micah, Its refreshing to see a teenage boy that sits down and writes a dang good story, spends time in the outdoors with his family and seems to be a very talented, respectable young man! Keep up the good work! My most favorite memories were spending time hunting and trapping with my Dad also! Cherish every moment while you can!

My daughter Cody will look forward to next year's competition! It always adds some excitement to Christmas week! May God bless each one of your families in 2019! May the love and hope of our Lord Jesus bring joy and peace to your lives through all of the ups and downs!!!

Joe, thanks so much for your generosity and for having this contest! We were waiting all morning and were checking our phones every 5 minutes for the results!!! Hahaha! Good luck to all of you guys trapping this winter!
Blessings!!!
Jess Edwards ( Cody Edwards Mom)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread