No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? #6401621
12/17/18 08:14 PM
12/17/18 08:14 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Anyone on here spear sturgeon that wouldn't mind answering a rookie's questions? I looked for some stuff online, but if you thought trappers were a small subset of outdoorsmen, sturgeon spearers are even fewer and further between. I only know one guy who has sat in a spear house before, and that was last year and it was his first and only year doing it, so he's about the same shade of green that I am. There isn't a Spearer Ed course a guy can go to.

I've got my tag and spear already, so I'm halfway there. Now I'm looking for a shack. I had originally thought I could get by with my 2-man flip over portable shack this first year, but I don't think that is going to work. My buddy made due with a hub style hunting blind last year, but it was less than ideal. And I don't have a hunting blind.

Question 1: Where do you like to have the tip of your spear in relation to the water, all the way out of the water, whole head underwater, or somewhere in between? I'm in search of a permanent shack to buy for use spearing and want to know what I should be looking for in regards to ceiling height. My spear handle is 7'6", plus another 10-12" for the head. Is that length necessary, or could I trim it down if need be?

Question 2: How necessary is a gaff? Could a guy get by hoisting one up by the spearhead, or is it worth the extra cost to have that extra insurance getting one out of the hole on a sub-par hit?

Question 3: How does a guy go about scouting? Besides going out and checking clarity, what's a good way to scoop the bottom, and what are guys looking for, dead shad, worms? I'm planning to have someone cut me in rather than cutting my own hole with an auger and a spud (did this for my buddy last year, and it worked OK, but not ideal). Do most guys that cut holes offer advice on a likely spot, or just cut the hole and it's up to you to tell them where to go?

I considered renting a shack, but at around $100/day, I could buy my own shack after a few days and do what I want with it. Kind of like renting vs buying a house.

If anyone from the Green Bay or Fox Cities area wouldn't mind a greenhorn coming over with a 6-pack to talk sturgeon one evening, I'd bring the beer. Feel free to PM me.

Just like trapping I'm not trying to horn in on anyone's secret spot, or take advantage of their hard work, just hoping to shorten the learning curve as much as possible. Any information is appreciated, or if there are links to other forums or articles I've missed, I'll gladly read up.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6401634
12/17/18 08:36 PM
12/17/18 08:36 PM
WI
W
WIgray Offline
trapper
WIgray  Offline
trapper
W

WI
I can't answer your questions but I'm sure someone here can. I'd maybe take a drive down the west side of Lake Winnebago one afternoon and make a few pit stops at some of the taverns right off the lake, chat with a few people. I lived/ worked in that area years back & I remember surgeon spearing being a big deal. They'd be weighing them & bragging it up at a few taverns.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6401648
12/17/18 08:46 PM
12/17/18 08:46 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Thanks WIgray, I helped out at one of the sturgeon weigh-in stations on the east side of the lake a couple years ago. Got to learn a lot about the process after the harvest, but didn't think to ask the successful spearers for advice since this is a more recent interest.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: WIgray] #6401655
12/17/18 08:53 PM
12/17/18 08:53 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Well, a buddy of mine summed it up pretty well a number of years ago. He said it was like trying to shoot ducks staring up a chimney.
If you have a shanty to block out the light, a good spear and do not fall asleep and tumble into the hole you have a reasonable chance to get one
every 5 years or so.
After harpooning one you will have an opportunity to fillet the meat off the critter, which, when fried tastes something like an old boot but not quite as tender.
You can also smoke the meat so it tastes like an old smoked boot but not as tender.
After going through this process you will realize that you did not bring enough beer for the trip, re-organize and prepare for next year.
By all means buy a good looking decoy to suspend below your operation. I have no idea if the sturgeon have an interest in it but it will give you a focal point and wish you had not spent the $20.
In a normal winter, when the ice is not real thick, bring an old chainsaw which you have borrowed from a friend with at least a 24" bar and make sure he says it usually starts in a couple pulls.
After that, things will fall into place.

Zim

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6401693
12/17/18 09:26 PM
12/17/18 09:26 PM
north central Mn
M
malenurse Offline
trapper
malenurse  Offline
trapper
M

north central Mn
There are a lot of sturgeon spering videos on YouTube. I think you can find out quite a bit if you look through them.

malenurse
Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6401695
12/17/18 09:31 PM
12/17/18 09:31 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I've watched quite a few, including the Frozen Chosen documentary, but a lot of the videos are 5 minutes of staring down an ice hole followed by 2 minutes of chaos and cursing while they wrangle one up the hole. Not many specifics on tactics like some videos.

Thanks for the encouragement, Zim! I figure it'll be like deer hunting, but you only get to stare down one shooting lane, and it's always first or last light so you can only kinda see stuff. Shooting ducks looking up a chimney is a good analogy! I don't have too much invested yet, and I'm hoping whatever I find for an ice shack can serve dual purpose as a hunting blind for me and my wife and/or daughter when she gets a but older (no, I don't want to buy a hub blind).

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6401703
12/17/18 09:37 PM
12/17/18 09:37 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Good Luck to ya.

Zim

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402123
12/18/18 12:13 PM
12/18/18 12:13 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I found a shack with a 7' or so ceiling, so that's no longer a concern. Now I have a few months to tinker with it and get it set up just how I want it. Watched a few more videos last night and picked up on some more ideas I missed before.

I would still be interested in picking someone's brain if someone is nearby and wouldn't mind sharing some information and answering some questions. But I think I've got a good enough start to at least give it a go.

I will update after the season in February if I have any luck.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402143
12/18/18 12:35 PM
12/18/18 12:35 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Do you need to draw a tag or do you just buy one?

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402201
12/18/18 01:50 PM
12/18/18 01:50 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
160- Lottery for the upriver lakes, but anyone can buy a tag for Winnebago assuming you remember to buy it in time. They don't allow you to buy a tag after Oct 31.

TLGuy- Most of the guys that spear religiously and are likely responsible for the bulk of the harvest are pretty tight lipped. Guys are looking for worms on the bottom and clear water. Likely will be this way this year with the downturn in the shad forage base of recent. That said, a lot of the guys spend a lot of hours scouting to find good spots based on history and like conditions. Others just tend to follow those that are successful. Lots of shacks will be responsible for multiple fish a year so the crowd doesn't necessarily mean more fish in that area.

I only put in for the lottery for the upriver lakes. Shallower water and easier to scout. Happy to help you should you draw an upriver tag some year. The season is always pretty short due to the high success rate up there.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402206
12/18/18 01:57 PM
12/18/18 01:57 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by tlguy

Question 1: Where do you like to have the tip of your spear in relation to the water, all the way out of the water, whole head underwater, or somewhere in between? I'm in search of a permanent shack to buy for use spearing and want to know what I should be looking for in regards to ceiling height. My spear handle is 7'6", plus another 10-12" for the head. Is that length necessary, or could I trim it down if need be?

I want the spearhead in the water. Less disturbance when I go to throw the spear. Longer spear allows you to slide the spear down towards the fish to align your shot. Try hitting something on the bottom with your spear so you understand how water bends light.

Question 2: How necessary is a gaff? Could a guy get by hoisting one up by the spearhead, or is it worth the extra cost to have that extra insurance getting one out of the hole on a sub-par hit?

Gaff can be extremely valuable if you marginally hit a fish. Think soft belly meat with one tine of the spear. Also very helpful on bigger fish as it kepts your hands away from the sharp parts of the spear on a thrashing fish.
I know there was some past threads on TMan about spearing. Might check those out if they still exist to see who was all contributing. They might even share a little more if you respectfully prod with an DM.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 12/18/18 02:07 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402211
12/18/18 02:02 PM
12/18/18 02:02 PM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
good luck!!
can someone explain the reason to spear them?
if they taste like Sh*T is there something else that makes you want to spear them?
walleye on ice i understand. confused

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402226
12/18/18 02:21 PM
12/18/18 02:21 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
#Conservation- Created this enormous interest in protecting this prehistoric fish that remains threatened in many parts of the country/state. There was even a petition to have lake sturgeon added to the endangered species list this past year. Spearing them has created way more value on the fish in this area than any hook and line season could.

On a side note, it also doesn't taste bad if cooked properly. Guessing Patrice could whip up a few excellent dishes. That said, the fish do tend to have slightly different taste depending on diet. If you spear the right female fish, you also can get caviar- lots and lots of caviar.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402268
12/18/18 03:41 PM
12/18/18 03:41 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I'm not what anyone would call an experienced sturgeon spearer, but I have gone 3-4 times up on Black Lake, in Cheboygan Co., Michigan. I saw one fish, and it was sub-legal, being less than 3 ft long. I did see a still-thrashing 104 pound, 72+ incher the guy I rented a shanty from speared. I was hooked. I caught one through the ice a few years ago. That was on Otsego, and was just barely legal at 53 inches. I thought the darn thing was tasty, both fried and smoked. A couple local friends of mine did the upstream lakes thing over by Winnebago. They rented a shack and saw 3-4 fish, each sticking small fish in the 40 lb range. That was some years ago.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402278
12/18/18 04:06 PM
12/18/18 04:06 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I've got just the general Winnebago tag this year, but am up to a couple points for the upriver system. Hope to have a better idea what I'm doing by the time I finally draw one of those tags. I will take a look in the archives and see if I can find anything.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402300
12/18/18 04:38 PM
12/18/18 04:38 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Not sure if you saw in any of the videos, but lots of guys use pipes on the bottom on Winnebago. They are especially beneficial if you are going to be out in the mud and dealing with lack of water clarity. Most are just white PVC pipe (or siding) that make a big cross. Helps you pick up the fish in deeper water and can also be used to determine size of the fish.

I want the rope that connects these pipes to have a quick disconnect. That way when you spear a fish, you can just relax. Let the fish swim around in circles and tire out. With the quick disconnect, I can keep him from wrapping up in this line.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402302
12/18/18 04:49 PM
12/18/18 04:49 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I've seen the pipes/siding set up, and will definitely be doing something similar. I'm intrigued by your idea of the quick disconnect. Lots of the videos I've seen have shown the fish getting tangled in at least one rope, either the decoy or the pipe rope. What do you use for a disconnect?

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402907
12/19/18 10:15 AM
12/19/18 10:15 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
A board about a foot long that has an eye screw in both ends. Allows me to wrap the the extra line around the board and I just hang the eye screw on a nail on side of shack. The end that connects to the pipe has one of those carabiners so I can just unclip from the pipes and wrap the rest of the rope up when I am done.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6402950
12/19/18 11:33 AM
12/19/18 11:33 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
So rather than actually disconnecting, you have extra rope available for the sturgeon to get tangled in without resistance? I had an idea for sinking the pipes and leaving them down the hole without a rope attached, then being able to "fish" them out with a long pole when the time comes to remove them.

Re: OT - Any WI Sturgeon Spearers? [Re: tlguy] #6403132
12/19/18 04:28 PM
12/19/18 04:28 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Sorry, that was kind of a poor explanation. You wouldn’t even need the wood, but it just allows you to easily move the rope from one side of the hole to the other as the fish makes a circle. You are preventing it from tangling as the fish swims around it in a circle. When you horse a fish right after you throw the spear and your lines are crossed, it pulls the fish towards your pipe rope and not up the hole. This just shortens the size of the circle the fish has to do before getting another twist in the line.

Fish tend to swim out to the side in a circular motion once you start pulling. If the pipe rope is tied off to the inside of the shack, each lap from the fish is a twist in the two lines. After you throw the spear, see which way the line goes before applying pressure. Adjust your pipe rope accordingly. As you get closer to landing your fish, you can just give the pipe rope a tug towards the opposite corner to clear it.

Most guys that haven’t speared one will just start pulling and screaming. I don’t blame you if you do. If you have a decent spear, the fish isn’t going to go any where (assuming you have your rope to the spear tied off grin) Enjoy the moment. Not many folks can say they speared a dinosaur!

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 12/19/18 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread