No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Grizz Trap is 20 years old today. [Re: Getrz] #6390445
12/04/18 11:58 PM
12/04/18 11:58 PM
Hermann, MO
D
Dale Brehe Offline
trapper
Dale Brehe  Offline
trapper
D

Hermann, MO
Yeah Gary, you start talking about those times and as much as I loved trapping and the fur business its remembering all the special people I got to know because fur had value that makes the whole thing one of the most important parts of my life. I'm sure you and many others feel much the same way. The story of your remarkable contribution to trapping and wildlife management is a true American success saga. I remember well when MiltonLiesemeyer first told me in his fur shed that Chuck Boelkes had told him about a whiz bang coon trap one of his helpers had come up with. The rest is history! Thanks for the ride, God willing coon fur will someday shine again!

Re: The Grizz Trap is 20 years old today. [Re: Getrz] #6390986
12/05/18 05:42 PM
12/05/18 05:42 PM
Michigan Trappersaurus
Pelts Offline
trapper
Pelts  Offline
trapper

Michigan Trappersaurus
Awesome and they keep on catching. Congrats Getrz

[Linked Image]
Re: The Grizz Trap is 20 years old today. [Re: Getrz] #6391024
12/05/18 06:16 PM
12/05/18 06:16 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Congrats Gary! Very people have had the impact on trapping that you have. You should be very proud!

Jayme

Re: The Grizz Trap is 20 years old today. [Re: Getrz] #6391038
12/05/18 06:32 PM
12/05/18 06:32 PM
sseMinnesota
blackhammer Offline
trapper
blackhammer  Offline
trapper

sseMinnesota
Congrats Gary! My friends Jim and Joel up here kind of got me into trying the trap. I was ahead of the curb using them when most trappers were still skeptical of their coon catching ability . What a great invention I consider you The Godfather of DP trapping and everyone else followed

Last edited by blackhammer; 12/05/18 06:33 PM.

Ah,for the life of a millionaire,say some,but just let me stay a trapper. Bill Nelson
Re: The Grizz Trap is 20 years old today. [Re: Getrz] #6391125
12/05/18 08:16 PM
12/05/18 08:16 PM
Kansas
C
cutmjack Offline
trapper
cutmjack  Offline
trapper
C

Kansas
Congrat's, Gary. Your trap is a great achievement. I started trapping about a decade ago when my twin boys were 8 or 9. I bought a few dozen Grizz traps when they were $240/dozen. You then helped me with some info and product for magazine articles, etc., and were wonderful to work with and I always appreciated your help getting me and my boys into trapping. I've bought more since, and trap a fair amount of public land setting at least 4 or 5 dozen on a long weekend. I can sleep easy knowing that trap is specific enough to avoid problems with other public land users and I love trapping coons. Your trap has helped trappers be able to use them in areas where other traps just wouldn't work for fear of non-target catches. For that, all trappers should thank you. I certainly do!!! Great job and great trap!!!

Re: The Grizz Trap is 20 years old today. [Re: Getrz] #6391167
12/05/18 08:48 PM
12/05/18 08:48 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Thanks for making them. I still use my old ones and they are my favorite. Great trap and super quality.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: The Grizz Trap is 20 years old today. [Re: Dale Brehe] #6391821
12/06/18 05:20 PM
12/06/18 05:20 PM
Missouri
G
Getrz Offline OP
trapper
Getrz  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Originally Posted by Dale Brehe
Yeah Gary, you start talking about those times and as much as I loved trapping and the fur business its remembering all the special people I got to know because fur had value that makes the whole thing one of the most important parts of my life. I'm sure you and many others feel much the same way. The story of your remarkable contribution to trapping and wildlife management is a true American success saga. I remember well when MiltonLiesemeyer first told me in his fur shed that Chuck Boelkes had told him about a whiz bang coon trap one of his helpers had come up with. The rest is history! Thanks for the ride, God willing coon fur will someday shine again!

Milton Liesemeyer was a very good man. He spoke in a soft voice and always had a good story to tell when he brought a load of coon to get put up at B & B Fur. Milton was warmly called " Uncle Milt" by the crew at B & B. Had a lot of respect for Milton and still get reminded of him when I drive by his old place off of Hwy 50. Chuck Boelkes was my Mentor. I worked for Chuck for 20 years....will never forget the good times....will never forget Chuck either.

On to the story....

The late 1980's I changed over to using drowners for coon as I was working full time at a regular job and didn't want to deal with dispatching live coon. My use of using 1.5 coils and staking at the waters edge left a lot of desire in regards to animal welfare.....that was one reason for changing to drowners. The early 1990's were a turning point for me. First change was converting over to #11 dbl's for coon. Trap change was due in part to plenty of local coon hunters....I got along with the majority of them and their biggest concern was of course....catching their dogs. Once I showed them the small jaw spread of the #11, most of the guys thought it was okay. I had to make coon sets along waterways next to deep water and pinch points that dogs would go around but coon could go through. Everything worked fine....it's really fun to dig pocket sets under root wads in a canoe above deep drop offs. Pocket sets for coon worked great....as long if it wasn't raining or if the water level didn't change much or you didn't have to deal with backwater from the Missouri River. Weather, water and ground conditions when making pocket sets a person just delt with. Pocket maintenance was a daily ritual.

In early 1993 I read an article in the T&PC that changed everything. ...

More to come.......

Gary

Just remember, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread