No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Aging clear cut for cat/fisher #6386993
12/01/18 02:33 AM
12/01/18 02:33 AM
SW Pennsylvania
M
mauser06 Offline OP
trapper
mauser06  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Pennsylvania
If anyone remembers me, I hope all is well with everyone!!!

It's been a while since I did any trapping...long story but I had a coyote stolen from a cable and realized my line was being checked for me...I didn't have other ground so I just stopped.

I've since moved an hour north and surrounded by lots of trapping opprotunities. So I'm excited to get back at it!

Our Pennsylvania bobcat and fisher season starts real soon.

I will admit, this is going to be quick and dirty and minimal scouting. Mostly going off the land and habits of the critters and hoping for some luck.

I still have to travel a bit to get to good cat and fisher territory.

I have a place in mind that is a pretty sizable piece.

In turkey season, I had the biggest Fisher I've ever laid eyes on stalk me. He stopped a few feet away...right before I was considering self defense. No joke he came charging down the ridge right at me and locked up not many feet away.

I was back on a (mostly) hardwood ridge.

He came from the direction of a 50 acre or so clear cut that's 10-15 years old if I had to guess.

I was wondering if it'd be worthwhile to carpet bomb the clear cut for cats and fisher?

I did reading and seems Fisher might not like open cuts...but suggests older clear cuts become Fisher habitat again. So maybe it would be a good area to set?

To me, the clear cut would be a good hunting ground for cats and fisher.

Figured I'd ask you guys before I waste a short season. I can try to brainstorm some other options.

There's another area down the ridge that's more mixed hardwood/pine/hemlock and large boulders that also look good. It's smaller and won't take as many traps.

Ideally I think the waterways and hemlock bottoms would be better for Fisher...but its a long ways down there and I simply don't have the time every day.

Im limited on time because it's about an hour drive to the areas I know hold cats and fishers in numbers and I work 3-11 throughout the season... trapping on foot... trying to get away from the crowd etc plays into my thoughts.

Any other recommendations on habitats thatll target both cats and fishers would be awesome. I know beaver marshes etc can be good...I just don't have much of that off the top of my head.

The clear cut really sticks out because it seems like it'd be a prime hunting ground for predators.

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #6387015
12/01/18 06:15 AM
12/01/18 06:15 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
around here a clear cut that's 10-15 years old has tree that are 10-20 tall an is thick with trees ,they hold lots of small game ,and are good for all predator's

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #6387108
12/01/18 09:19 AM
12/01/18 09:19 AM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
I have had good luck setting near the bottom of ridges. The ridges around here are only a 30' to 40' elevation change.

Help yourself.

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #6387116
12/01/18 09:41 AM
12/01/18 09:41 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I would set the Hardwood/ Hemlock area. My best luck has been in areas I've seen Fisher before while hunting deer or on camera bear baiting.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #6387120
12/01/18 09:48 AM
12/01/18 09:48 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Clearcuts of about 5 years of age are really good for bobcats in these parts.
As for fishers I reckon you could carry a gun down to the river and catch a few. Be careful though, some of those fishers may be packing heat too.

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #6387134
12/01/18 10:11 AM
12/01/18 10:11 AM
WI
H
handitrapper Offline
trapper
handitrapper  Offline
trapper
H

WI
Both areas would likely be good for fisher and cats. Since your time is limited. I would consider spending your time on the area that is easiest to access. Check for rabbit, and other small prey species

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: handitrapper] #6387277
12/01/18 12:50 PM
12/01/18 12:50 PM
SW Pennsylvania
M
mauser06 Offline OP
trapper
mauser06  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Pennsylvania
Thanx guys!!

My thought was to run 2 loops on foot. One being the clear cut which I'd carpet bomb with a dozen or traps.

Then set the area with the large boulders...it's closer to the road and easier access for me..I know cats like the rocks and probably Fisher too.

I may think of some hemlock bottoms to set along my travels but it's been my experience that a lot of guys have that same idea. The clear cut area I'm thinking about is about a half mile from the road....and it's foot access only. I'd be surprised to see competition back there. I know a monster Fisher was in that area in the spring...I think the pray base would draw all predators and make for a fun week of trapping. I saw the Fisher behind the clear cut on a hardwood ridge. It looked like he probably came out of the clear cut but I couldn't be sure because I didn't witness that myself. I'd love to walk up on him in a trap....he was a giant.

I know scouting and setting on location is critical. Especially with a short window to work with. I will have about 10 checks. I think I have 22 traps. 220 chances...lol. I'm just excited to get back to setting steel and I haven't caught a cat or Fisher yet. Now that I live closer to their range, I really want to get a nice specimen of each for the wall.

I have 2 days off prior to the season...I was planning to carry my gear in...dig my holes at dirt holes, stake my trap, throw up my natural cubbies etc so the day before the season all I have to do is run the line setting and bedding and getting the set baited/lured. So while I'm out there doing that, obviously I will be looking for sign. As of now, not looking like snow for a while...but that's subject to change lol.

I will certainly get a couple sets on the hardwood ridge behind the clear cut.l and on the transition.

I appreciate the info! Feel free to keep it coming. I have some time yet to look at other options. Certainly don't wanna completely waste my time...to me, a 50+acre clear cut should be loaded with predators. They left quite a mess of tree tops and such.

Looking at the maps, it looks like there's another slightly smaller cut over at the other area with the big boulders right below the ridge line so I will look at it. And I know of another area that is probably 20-30yr old cut...it has trees 20-30ft trees and a bunch of open areas with thick ground cover brush. It may be worth looking at as well.

Just excited to get out there again.

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #6387294
12/01/18 01:12 PM
12/01/18 01:12 PM
WI
H
handitrapper Offline
trapper
handitrapper  Offline
trapper
H

WI
If you are fortunate enough to get snow? Set up on the fisher tracks. They will return. Hopefully before your season ends. Fishers will continue to use the same travel routes, year after year. Meaning, if you catch one there this season. You’re likely to catch them in the same spot following years. Just from my experience.

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: ] #7732288
12/02/22 01:48 AM
12/02/22 01:48 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by J Staton
Clearcuts of about 5 years of age are really good for bobcats in these parts.

I suppose they can see flagging well

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #7732571
12/02/22 12:29 PM
12/02/22 12:29 PM
pa
P
poconobear Offline
trapper
poconobear  Offline
trapper
P

pa
Remember it is illegal to set or stake traps prior to 7am on the first day of the season here in PA.

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #7732573
12/02/22 12:31 PM
12/02/22 12:31 PM
pa
P
poconobear Offline
trapper
poconobear  Offline
trapper
P

pa
Set as many areas and as many traps as you can legally check. Your areas are good locations for cats and fisher

Re: Aging clear cut for cat/fisher [Re: mauser06] #7732584
12/02/22 12:49 PM
12/02/22 12:49 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
If a fisher was acting aggressively I suspect that you were in it’s territory. May be more there.
The critters fisher prey on are also critters cats would prey on. Where there is prey there are predators!
Looking forward to catch pics!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread