No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How to hunt a bait pile? #6348055
10/15/18 11:00 AM
10/15/18 11:00 AM
Near state college, PA, God Bl...
trapre Offline OP
trapper
trapre  Offline OP
trapper

Near state college, PA, God Bl...
I recently made a post about the efficiency of hunting over a gut pile or farm burial site for Yotes.

How often would you hunt one?
How do you hunt one?

I've never hunted one before so if any of you have done so before can you give me some tips?

I have been all over the dairy farmers property and haven't seen a burial site but plan to talk to him this week.

"To not read the news is to be uninformed. To read the news is to be misinformed" -Mark Twain
Re: How to hunt a bait pile? [Re: trapre] #6348334
10/15/18 06:10 PM
10/15/18 06:10 PM
Manitoba, Canada
Ed the hunter Offline
trapper
Ed the hunter  Offline
trapper

Manitoba, Canada
I attended a course on trapping problem wolves and coyotes. The instructor has traveled to multiple countries to teach about wolf trapping. He stated that bait piles should be 100 yards to 2 miles from where you set your traps or snares because they circle the pile from a distance. If you are hunting the pile, I would expect that you could pick a spot anywhere in that zone.

Re: How to hunt a bait pile? [Re: trapre] #6348487
10/15/18 08:48 PM
10/15/18 08:48 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Still hunt them here. Most times yotes will visit them close to the same time each day. Or night. last one I was able to hunt I sat in the barn loft and picked them off. The land owner always let me know when he added to the pile. It was two - three days before they hit the fresher carcasses unless they were still feeding on the older ones.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread