Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... #6345419
10/11/18 12:22 PM
10/11/18 12:22 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline OP
trapper
TheBig1  Offline OP
trapper

Kingston, PA
I think that I asked this before, and I got replies such as leave your tools, bags, etc... outside for a few weeks to become scent free prior to the season and then from that point on don't touch anything with bare hands. Unfortunately I do not have a barn or lean to type of area where I can do such a thing out of the weather.

So what would you guys think of me washing my bags, tools, containers, etc... in some Dead Down Wind laundry soap and then just sitting them out to dry?

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6345447
10/11/18 01:21 PM
10/11/18 01:21 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline
trapper
Nd native  Offline
trapper
N

North dakota
I'm going to guess that most of us throw our bags/buckets in the back of our trucks with all sorts of other critters etc and after a few days even the cleanest bag will surely have succumb to some sort of odor. If you've ever ridden in the box of a pickup truck down the highway as a kid you can definitely attest to the amount of debris from the bed of the truck that gets stirred up, one wet critter on a rainy day probably disperses scent over everything in a hypertechnical aspect. I'd say just keep your stuff as clean as you can (free of blood, lure, bait, etc.) but using special soaps, like someone bow hunting for deer would is not needed. I change out cloth gloves as they get nasty and just do my best to keep my scent off the gear, but you'll never be able to eliminate all odor.

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6345469
10/11/18 01:57 PM
10/11/18 01:57 PM
Kingston, PA
TheBig1 Offline OP
trapper
TheBig1  Offline OP
trapper

Kingston, PA
I appreciate it ND. It gets a little overwhelming when people use terms such as "scent free" etc... because that term is relative. Lets be honest, there are so many things that trappers use such as tools and bags that make it almost impossible to do.

That's why I have the questions about this as well as the hardware question that I've asked also. It's pretty much a question of, "Exactly how far do we go with this?"

Perhaps what I'll do since this is my first year and my bags are new, I will just wash it all in a tub with some of that soap, but then from that point on I'll just keep the exposure to bare hands, etc... to a minimum.

You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim. Mountain's got its own ways.
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6345497
10/11/18 03:25 PM
10/11/18 03:25 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Keep foreign oders not trapline related like oils, gas off the tools. Use differnt gloves for remakes is all I do, scent free does not exsist in the animal world. I start out clean but it don't last long..

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6345500
10/11/18 03:55 PM
10/11/18 03:55 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
NO matter how clean you are the critter Is always going to know you were there.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6345501
10/11/18 04:05 PM
10/11/18 04:05 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
Just dont get oil,gas or something real smelly like that on them and you will be fine.Around here I almost think coyotes associate human scent with food.

Gary Bartlow
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6345545
10/11/18 05:41 PM
10/11/18 05:41 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
I don't have that problem but then again I use a bucket and it stays up front,critters at the back.After a while things become repetitive like baiting gloves stay in coat pocket,set making gloves stay in bucket.If freezing out,the bucket goes in the heated shop over night and rides up front,no frozen urine problems I can remember.The pouches and outside smell like crap but not a problem with tools inside the bucket.

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: The Beav] #6345552
10/11/18 05:55 PM
10/11/18 05:55 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: The Beav
NO matter how clean you are the critter Is always going to know you were there.
Agreed. Most trappers over think things re coyote and wolf trapping and spend too much time constructing sets leaving a concentration of scent and disturbance. Most of the scent left will be from your body. Coyotes and wolves are very familiar with human scent, wire, cable, and chain debris in the bush from logging etc. Just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible and you will have little problem.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6345599
10/11/18 07:27 PM
10/11/18 07:27 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Iv'e had coyotes watch me make sets from a distance, and have one in the set the next day. Some even follow my tracks to sets, some just the opposite.

Tools on the inside of my bag attractors on the outside. When I was avidly bowhunting I had the chance to observe yotes. Some would hit my trail going in with rubber boots, my whole body and boots sprayed down with the latest scent killer. Some would follow, most would stop like they hit a brick wall and vanish. Even if I approach my stands via streams. Some accept our presents as a threat and some don't. Perhaps its not our odor that needs controled.. whistle

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346344
10/13/18 02:55 AM
10/13/18 02:55 AM
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
I used to put most of my stuff in an old duffel bag and put it in my creek, tied off to a good tree.
These days I just leave it outside for a week or two.
Don't know if all this works or not, but it make me feel better... LOL!

Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346350
10/13/18 04:28 AM
10/13/18 04:28 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: TheBig1
I think that I asked this before, and I got replies such as leave your tools, bags, etc... outside for a few weeks to become scent free prior to the season and then from that point on don't touch anything with bare hands. Unfortunately I do not have a barn or lean to type of area where I can do such a thing out of the weather.

So what would you guys think of me washing my bags, tools, containers, etc... in some Dead Down Wind laundry soap and then just sitting them out to dry?

I haven't read the replies, but in my opinion you're over thinking it. Keep it simple. Spend that time setting traps even for practice rather than wasting your time washing your tools. There is no such thing as scent free, no matter what someone selling something tells you.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346382
10/13/18 07:08 AM
10/13/18 07:08 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Agree Wade.
I do wax my hammer, trowel head but that's more water-prooding and rust prevention than scent stuff. Have never bought into trying to be all scent free. Of course around here there is a farm or acreage at least every mile or 1/2 mile, and usually less than that. Bits of trash are common with our winter winds. I am not a coyote but I'd wager they must cross paths with LOTS of human scented things all day long around here and most of it never hurts them or causes them to be edgy. Farmers and hunters walking fields, you name it.
Now the truck that suddenly stops on the county road, yes, they run like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) from that because here that generally will be followed by shooting. But I'd wager the paper coffee cup trash that blew across the field from the nearby highway isn't a concern.
I do my best to be clean at set making, but their noses are way better than ours and if a police dog can track some dude that merely ran through a neighborhood I'm guessing a coyote knows I walked through too. I even set with bare hands if weather is nice and catch coyotes.
We get away with a lot here because that's pretty natural for our area to have human scent everywhere.
Make a set, get out, check it from a distance, and don't mess with it everyday either. That's all I do.
Good luck with your season!
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 10/13/18 07:11 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346425
10/13/18 08:20 AM
10/13/18 08:20 AM
SE PA ,VT,
L
luvcanids Offline
trapper
luvcanids  Offline
trapper
L

SE PA ,VT,
Yeh, do not over think, I use a bag from Home Depot for All but my scents, urines and lures. My cotton gloves go in my equipment bag my rubber gloves in my scent bag.. I believe in keeping them separate.
My brother, who trapped for the state for more then 35 years, never used gloves but did use a two bag or container setup. His belief was —get it done asap and stay away.
Just as important is the belief that you can do it. All of us have seen a dog react to people that were afraid of them , it is my belief that a new or inexperienced trapper puts off a stronger anxiety scent and therefore is more obvious.relax it is not rocket science. Dont
fudge and mess. Dig your bed, pound your anchor and bed and cover the trap, lure. Done, move on.

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346481
10/13/18 09:36 AM
10/13/18 09:36 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The bottom line Is this If what ever you do makes you feel comfortable then that's what you need to do.

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: The Beav] #6346488
10/13/18 09:44 AM
10/13/18 09:44 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted By: The Beav
The bottom line Is this If what ever you do makes you feel comfortable then that's what you need to do.

Well put Beav! Confidence is key..

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346606
10/13/18 01:04 PM
10/13/18 01:04 PM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline
trapper
jnsff69  Offline
trapper

Up a creek MT
So this is a first for me and i'm not sure this is the right spot to ask but speaking of "scent & odor free".... what is the best way to remove skunk essence from my traps?
They were dyed and waxed before I was luck to tarp the skunks but the essence is still on the traps. Have tried baking soda & borax for the last week. Still smells like the moment I took the skunks out.

Ya can't miss fur if yur traps are out somewhere.
Or so I've been told.
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346615
10/13/18 01:21 PM
10/13/18 01:21 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Take them down to the car wash and give them a good cleaning.

Then I would put them In a container of some sort. Then Add some TSP or some type of cleaning agent. Boil the traps let the water cool then dump the water off of the traps. Don't pull the traps up through the water.

Or just use them like they are. Just make sure the trap bed all smells like skunk. Then your trap will blend In. And you will be good to go.

Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346630
10/13/18 01:51 PM
10/13/18 01:51 PM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline
trapper
jnsff69  Offline
trapper

Up a creek MT
Thanks Beav, I am done trapping that part of the state for now and I just wasn't sure if this would mess up for other animals or not (kitt fox, yotes, cats)

Ya can't miss fur if yur traps are out somewhere.
Or so I've been told.
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: jnsff69] #6346664
10/13/18 03:40 PM
10/13/18 03:40 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted By: jnsff69
So this is a first for me and i'm not sure this is the right spot to ask but speaking of "scent & odor free".... what is the best way to remove skunk essence from my traps?
They were dyed and waxed before I was luck to tarp the skunks but the essence is still on the traps. Have tried baking soda & borax for the last week. Still smells like the moment I took the skunks out.

Boil in some thing with tannic acid...bark, leaves, sumac berries.. only thing that works for me. Boiling in lye water might also do it, but you have to rinse it off really well.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: De-Scenting Tools, Bags, Etc... [Re: TheBig1] #6346671
10/13/18 04:04 PM
10/13/18 04:04 PM
Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
S
saskbone Offline
trapper
saskbone  Offline
trapper
S

Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
Way to much overthinking on canines in my opinion. Like mentioned do your best to keep things clean..... But most canines will know you have been there, I want them used to my scent , get in and out as quick as possible when making your sets and move on. No matter how scent free you think you are you are leaving smells. I set snares bare handed and move on and have no problems catching canines. When hanging snares I want to be in and out in 2 minutes,5 minutes on a catch and on to the next.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91