No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Firestone Destination MT2 Mud Tires [Re: Wesley] #6344806
10/10/18 03:22 PM
10/10/18 03:22 PM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Trapper7 I had Goodyear Wrangler ATS on my Ford before the Firestone Destinations., I put almost 80,000 miles on them but wasn't as impressed with the traction as the Firestone tire.

Re: Firestone Destination MT2 Mud Tires [Re: Wesley] #6344810
10/10/18 03:37 PM
10/10/18 03:37 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Seems like everything with tires is a compromise. Good deal of mud terrains are relatively soft so that they can grip and climb on slippery rock which of course means they wear out faster. But if they spend most of life on dedicated off road rigs and are rotated regularly you should get way more than 20k. Pavement is what eats them up worst.

Common options:
BFG KM2--I've liked the KM2s that have used overall and would recommend and lots of guys around here run them. Brand new KM3 is suppose to be tougher in the rocks and may be more useful for you.
Cepek Extreme Country get some use around here in mud. Never had them myself and no idea about rocks
Various Cooper options---STT Pros, Mickey Thompson MTZ, Pro Comp Extremes. Of the Cooper and various ones they make under different trademarks, I've only run the STTs and think highly of them here. But I believe guys say they are also super tough in rocks.
GoodYear MTR. Common jeep equipment with benefit of kevlar for protection
Nitto Mud Grapplers. Not common in these parts.
Toyo MT's even less common around here

Id start by looking to see what comes in your size. If you are running standard equipment and not lifted that might narrow the list to start with

Re: Firestone Destination MT2 Mud Tires [Re: Wesley] #6344811
10/10/18 03:38 PM
10/10/18 03:38 PM
Nebraska
J
Jess Matthews Offline
trapper
Jess Matthews  Offline
trapper
J

Nebraska
I have a ford 7.3 desiel and I've ran bfg tkos and really liked traction but only got 30-35k out of them. My dad has exact same pick up but with v10 gas engine and he's at 45-50 on his set. I put Goodyear Wrangler MTs on cuz they were cheap and I have 25k on them now and they are at half tread. I'm convinced some vehicles like certain tires and some don't. All our tires are 10 ply

Re: Firestone Destination MT2 Mud Tires [Re: ~ADC~] #6344930
10/10/18 07:00 PM
10/10/18 07:00 PM
NW WI
schweg2 Offline
trapper
schweg2  Offline
trapper

NW WI
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
Originally Posted By: goldnut
Apparently I got a bad set of Cooper tires because I found them to be a bit on the soft side. I thought they wore pretty quick considering what I paid for them. JMHO

Me too, and more flats than any other similar tires I have ran. I'd never buy another set of AT3's.

First set of AT3's I had wore very quickly, bought another set years later for a different vehicle and lasted way longer.
I wonder if they changed compounds or something?

I thought there'd be more fans of the Toyo and the Yokohama tires...

Re: Firestone Destination MT2 Mud Tires [Re: schweg2] #6344981
10/10/18 08:08 PM
10/10/18 08:08 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN

First set of AT3's I had wore very quickly, bought another set years later for a different vehicle and lasted way longer.
I wonder if they changed compounds or something?
Or you learned how to drive
I thought there'd be more fans of the Toyo and the Yokohama tires...
[/quote]

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread