No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Why do you do what you do ? #6305539
08/19/18 12:53 PM
08/19/18 12:53 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline OP
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline OP
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
Over the years I have lost great hunting/trapping/fishing buddies because they seemingly lost interest ore were "to busy". It seems like those were guys that got into it later in life. I started out following or being carried by my dad,grandpas, and or uncles/ great uncles all over the place hunting or trapping. I can remember being cold , tired, and miserable,but I still wanted to be there.

As I got older and my friends were into ball sports and running around I spent my days in the woods. I was either scouting,hunting,fishing, or trapping something. I made some serious cash digging roots and trapping. I always had new decoys, guns,boats and equipment that I bought myself.

I have never lost that drive that I have always had. I'd rather spend my time out on a creek somewhere or walking to see what is over the next ridge than anything. Now my 3 boys are my closest and best hunting buddies. They have the same drive that I did at there age ,maybe more.

Now I dont make the money that I once did from traping. I dont dig roots much because my back hurts,but I cant stop that hunger and desire to be outdoors.

Gary Bartlow
Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305542
08/19/18 12:59 PM
08/19/18 12:59 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Same here Dux
I quit playing hockey and baseball my senior year, to spend more time with Dad in the outdoors.
My fondest memories of my youth are with Dad outdoors.
My daughter has the same love I do as does her new husband, so hoping they will pass it on when they have kids.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305556
08/19/18 01:23 PM
08/19/18 01:23 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
This is a good question.
I can really identify with this answer:
"I'd rather spend my time out on a creek somewhere or walking to see what is over the next ridge than anything."
I think it's the joy of discovery. There is always more to learn and more to experience.
It's what gets us up on the morning to run a trapline, or hunt or just walk through the woods looking for sign.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305582
08/19/18 02:17 PM
08/19/18 02:17 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
People engage in activities which validate a need in them. Ilbucksndux is a sensitive spirit in needing the wilds to cleanse him from the toxins of modern society like most outdoor people do.
For his friends who gave up the outdoors, perhaps it was only bag limits or bragging rights which spurs many into the field and once that does not satisfy they move on.
For me, I can not afford anything anymore, but I am still out with my gal in we are checking turkey roosts, checking the fawn crop, digging trees for transplanting or just trying to keep the predators down here so the prey species have a chance.
It is always sad when I see people wasting away in an armchair or all they get done in a day is go out and have coffee. It is what they desire though as the thrill of life is gone. They no longer grow past bag limits. My thrills are watching a dog work cover, or making a pretty blind set, or getting a beat up old gun and getting it working, researching it and enjoying every aspect of it in looking up loads for it.
It is why you see those zombies in stores or driving around in nothing stimulates them anymore. I am blessed as most outdoor people are in I still get as big of thrill out of identifying plants as I do finding the track of an animal in the sand. I like going for walks as the other night and a young doe knew our voices, and stood not 10 feet from us under and apple tree eating windfalls.

I like being a part of nature not being apart from nature.

Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305586
08/19/18 02:26 PM
08/19/18 02:26 PM

S
sanfo008
Unregistered
sanfo008
Unregistered
S

Always spent a lot of time outdoors as a kid and teenager. In my 20's and early 30's I had to focus on my marriage, having kids, career, and just generally getting my adult life started. That kept me out of the woods and off the water to the point I pretty much lost interest for a while. Once I got myself established and my kids got old enough to not need constant attention, I got back into it. This time my wife joined me, and that has been very rewarding. She's learned to hunt deer with a gun and bow, and will trap with me this year for the first time. My boy is old enough to accompany us as well, which will make it even more special.

Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305679
08/19/18 05:16 PM
08/19/18 05:16 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline OP
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline OP
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
Star flakes is right . I need to be outside to unwind and reset. I often feel like I suffer through 8 months so I can live for 4. Im fortunate enough to have a job that I only work at 3 days a week so I can do what I love the rest of the time. My wife understands me and my need to be out doing something outdoors.

Gary Bartlow
Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305689
08/19/18 05:29 PM
08/19/18 05:29 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
It was easy for me. I sucked at, pretty much, all sports but baseball (summer). I was good at trapping and there was money in it. I have sold off all of my traps, but I will buy back in if the fur market improves.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305707
08/19/18 05:57 PM
08/19/18 05:57 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I blame cars and girls.

Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305739
08/19/18 06:33 PM
08/19/18 06:33 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
charles is right!

Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305752
08/19/18 06:43 PM
08/19/18 06:43 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
I do it for the money, prestige, fast cars, and women.

Actually, I have a significant wild streak that cannot be tamed.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305753
08/19/18 06:45 PM
08/19/18 06:45 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I'd played little league softball all my young life and intended to play in high school until I found out they practiced every day. No way I could give up all my time in the woods for playing ball! So I quit sports and lived in the woods anytime I wasn't in school all through my high school years. Got away from trapping for a couple of years due to partying, but once I grew up I was right back to it again.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6305764
08/19/18 07:00 PM
08/19/18 07:00 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
If I don't get a little isolated in the woods and/or on the water for a few hours a week minimum I can feel the difference in my stress levels. It feels like I am not living right. It is hard to explain to those that don't get it.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6306180
08/20/18 09:00 AM
08/20/18 09:00 AM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE

There might be 7 + or - types of intelligence. And imo we all have different levels of each. Like a mixing board in a recording studio. We are our own individual mix.

The stuff you understand, (comes natural to you) your good at it early, and get positive reinforcement from a young age. So that's the stuff you get into, and keep at because its the most pleasant, and or easier.

One of those intelligences is a Natural or Naturalistic Intelligences. These are the people that can grasp how the natural world works. When you drive by a set of tracks in the snow on the side of the interstate at 70mph and you can tell just by the spacing, rhythm, and size, what animal made them, the mood the animal was in, and where he's going and how long ago he went by, you have an understanding of the natural world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Intelligence modalities[edit]

Musical-rhythmic and harmonic

Main article: Musicality

This area has to do with sensitivity to sounds, rhythms, tones, and music. People with a high musical intelligence normally have good pitch and may even have absolute pitch, and are able to sing, play musical instruments, and compose music. They have sensitivity to rhythm, pitch, meter, tone, melody or timbre.[7][8]

Visual-spatial

Main article: Spatial intelligence (psychology)

This area deals with spatial judgment and the ability to visualize with the mind's eye. Spatial ability is one of the three factors beneath g in the hierarchical model of intelligence.[8]

Verbal-linguistic

Main article: Linguistic intelligence

People with high verbal-linguistic intelligence display a facility with words and languages. They are typically good at reading, writing, telling stories and memorizing words along with dates.[8] Verbal ability is one of the most g-loaded abilities.[9] This type of intelligence is measured with the Verbal IQ in WAIS-IV.

Logical-mathematical

Further information: Reason

This area has to do with logic, abstractions, reasoning, numbers and critical thinking.[8] This also has to do with having the capacity to understand the underlying principles of some kind of causal system.[7] Logical reasoning is closely linked to fluid intelligence and to general intelligence (g factor).[10]

Bodily-kinesthetic

Further information: Gross motor skill and Fine motor skill

The core elements of the bodily-kinesthetic intelligence are control of one's bodily motions and the capacity to handle objects skillfully.[8] Gardner elaborates to say that this also includes a sense of timing, a clear sense of the goal of a physical action, along with the ability to train responses.

People who have high bodily-kinesthetic intelligence should be generally good at physical activities such as sports, dance, acting, and making things.

Gardner believes that careers that suit those with high bodily-kinesthetic intelligence include: athletes, dancers, musicians, actors, builders, police officers, and soldiers. Although these careers can be duplicated through virtual simulation, they will not produce the actual physical learning that is needed in this intelligence.[11]

Interpersonal

Main article: Social skills

In theory, individuals who have high interpersonal intelligence are characterized by their sensitivity to others' moods, feelings, temperaments, motivations, and their ability to cooperate in order to work as part of a group. According to Gardner in How Are Kids Smart: Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom, "Inter- and Intra- personal intelligence is often misunderstood with being extroverted or liking other people..."[12] Those with high interpersonal intelligence communicate effectively and empathize easily with others, and may be either leaders or followers. They often enjoy discussion and debate." Gardner has equated this with emotional intelligence of Goleman.[13]

Gardner believes that careers that suit those with high interpersonal intelligence include sales persons, politicians, managers, teachers, lecturers, counselors and social workers.[14]

Intrapersonal

Further information: Introspection

This area has to do with introspective and self-reflective capacities. This refers to having a deep understanding of the self; what one's strengths or weaknesses are, what makes one unique, being able to predict one's own reactions or emotions.

Naturalistic

Not part of Gardner's original seven, naturalistic intelligence was proposed by him in 1995. "If I were to rewrite Frames of Mind today, I would probably add an eighth intelligence - the intelligence of the naturalist. It seems to me that the individual who is readily able to recognize flora and fauna, to make other consequential distinctions in the natural world, and to use this ability productively (in hunting, in farming, in biological science) is exercising an important intelligence and one that is not adequately encompassed in the current list."[15] This area has to do with nurturing and relating information to one's natural surroundings.[8] Examples include classifying natural forms such as animal and plant species and rocks and mountain types. This ability was clearly of value in our evolutionary past as hunters, gatherers, and farmers; it continues to be central in such roles as botanist or chef.[7]

This sort of ecological receptiveness is deeply rooted in a "sensitive, ethical, and holistic understanding" of the world and its complexities – including the role of humanity within the greater ecosphere.[16]

Existential[edit]

Main article: Spiritual intelligence

Gardner did not want to commit to a spiritual intelligence, but suggested that an "existential" intelligence may be a useful construct, also proposed after the original 7 in his 1999 book.[17] The hypothesis of an existential intelligence has been further explored by educational researchers.[18]

Additional intelligences[edit]

On January 13, 2016, Gardner mentioned in an interview with BigThink that he is considering adding the teaching-pedagogical intelligence "which allows us to be able to teach successfully to other people".[19] In the same interview, he explicitly refused some other suggested intelligences like humour, cooking and sexual intelligence.[19]

Now.....all the above maybe total horse pucky but it works for my little brain so good enough.

Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6306236
08/20/18 10:56 AM
08/20/18 10:56 AM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
I do it because i dont know much else, been in the woods the majority of my life . my mother would carry one of my youngest brothers ginsanging and i learned sang at probably about five ,started trapping when i was eight. i am in the woods still from daylight till dark six days a week ,unless its rainy like today . but in my life i have seen things most guys wont ,i practically live with the wild life. i guess im alittle diff from some of you it makes me want to see people and congregate with others from time to time. but it was just born in me from my Irish grandfathers and Cherokee grandmothers. its what i do and hopefully always will.

Re: Why do you do what you do ? [Re: ilbucksndux] #6306242
08/20/18 11:07 AM
08/20/18 11:07 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
I dunno, just can't help it. like the outdoors, like animals, like the weather and the wind. I'd much rather spend time outside than with people in a crowded place. I guess it all comes down to what you grow up with, what your parent's and grandparent taught you. I used to go on long walks with my grandfather almost every day, he showed me plants and animals, so I learned to look for them.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread