No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Edible Michigan mushrooms #6239754
05/14/18 06:39 AM
05/14/18 06:39 AM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
Other than morels, what mushrooms in Michigan are edible? With pictures please, I suck at finding morels but I see tons of other ones but I don't want to risk dying lol

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Edible Michigan mushrooms [Re: BullOx] #6239806
05/14/18 08:08 AM
05/14/18 08:08 AM
S.W. Michigan
L
late bite Offline
trapper
late bite  Offline
trapper
L

S.W. Michigan
Google "pheasant backs" I find more of these than Morels. The small ones are more tender........

Re: Edible Michigan mushrooms [Re: BullOx] #6239839
05/14/18 08:59 AM
05/14/18 08:59 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
your going to want more than just a picture here , you need a field guide for your area and to know a lot more about the mushroom before you eat it.

there was a guy at my mothers work foreign born he had picked mushrooms all his life in his home country , came here with his family good job , killed the whole family with mushrooms that looked the same or that he thought were the same but were not.

there you co now you have the story I get to hear every time I mention non store mushrooms around my mother. Morels are one of the easiest because false morels are not hollow inside like Morels.

but know the ways to check with any mushroom you pick , and pass on anything your not sure of.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Edible Michigan mushrooms [Re: BullOx] #6239921
05/14/18 10:39 AM
05/14/18 10:39 AM
Ocooch Mountains, WI
hitreason Offline
trapper
hitreason  Offline
trapper

Ocooch Mountains, WI
Check out oyster mushrooms, in seasons of ample rain, they can be plentiful. I find them easier to clean than morels (often up the tree off the ground and free of dirt) and I think they cook up better, less bugs hiding in them and they keep well in the crisper.

I just found a early flush of them out morel ling, on a dead elm tree ironically.

They can be found from March to November here in Wisconsin, which is a much better growing season than morels.

Re: Edible Michigan mushrooms [Re: BullOx] #6240037
05/14/18 02:15 PM
05/14/18 02:15 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Michigan has scores of edible schrooms, and a bunch of look-alikes that can kill you stone dead. Get a real good regional field guide, plus go with long-time fungus folks to learn the ropes. I know many "experts" that regularly eat mushrooms known to kill people at times....DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread