No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Adelonto, California. #6198799
03/25/18 08:22 AM
03/25/18 08:22 AM
Northeast PA, USA
Bob O Offline OP
trapper
Bob O  Offline OP
trapper

Northeast PA, USA
Does anyone here have any info on this area? Places to go, sites to see,etc.,etc.. Looks like I have to go out there for work for a couple of weeks. Just looking to kill the free time..
Thanks in advance..
Bob

Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6198821
03/25/18 08:51 AM
03/25/18 08:51 AM
California
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper
Mercer Lawing  Offline
trapper

California
Adelanto CA? What are you being punished for?

Just a big flat Creosote and Joshua Tree flat . Lots of good coyote hunting in and around the scattered homes and businesses. Other than that I literally stared at this computer screen for five minutes trying to think of something to do/see for you. Not exactly a "High Brow" area.
San Andreas Fault runs just south/East of there. Some fascinating Geological stuff to see but you need to know where and what to look for.
Two hours from the beach. About as different than PA as it gets.

San Bernardino and Angeles Crest mountains to the South but not all that cool.
If you have time during the week or perhaps call and see if they are open on Saturday I would go down to Somper Furs in LA. 2 hours away. Tell them your a trapper and you might get the full tour. Ask to see the fur storage.

If you have a whole day I would drive North on hwy 395 Owens Valley. 2-4 hours depending on your schedule. Run up and down a few side roads. Home to some of the better bobcats in the West.

I live 30 miles North but am scheduled to be away on work for the next couple of months.

ML

Last edited by Mercer Lawing; 03/25/18 08:57 AM.
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6198901
03/25/18 10:02 AM
03/25/18 10:02 AM
Northeast PA, USA
Bob O Offline OP
trapper
Bob O  Offline OP
trapper

Northeast PA, USA
You make sound as if it is a form of punishment..lol..Now you have me wondering... Thank You for the info..

Last edited by Bob O; 03/25/18 10:20 AM.
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6199021
03/25/18 11:52 AM
03/25/18 11:52 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
The only thing I would be looking for there is an air conditioner !

Mean As Nails
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6199057
03/25/18 12:17 PM
03/25/18 12:17 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
I believe the El Mirage dry lake bed is near there . Worth seeing if you've never been to the desert

Also Barstow and the Calico Ghost town might be cool to check out .........I havent been in 40 yrs though ....lol

Last edited by AntiGov; 03/25/18 12:19 PM.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6199064
03/25/18 12:24 PM
03/25/18 12:24 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
There are some world-class dirt bike tracks in the area, but I doubt you'll have a bike with you. "Joshua Tree" is close by, so if you're a rock climber or you like bouldering take your rock shoes with you. It's actually a pretty cool area (Joshua Tree/Yucca). Geologically interesting also. Hope you aren't going in the middle of summer.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: waggler] #6199094
03/25/18 12:53 PM
03/25/18 12:53 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
If you like trout fishing, especially fly fishing.... you are not far from some good spots. Kings Canyon and Mammoth are within reach.

PM if you are a fisherman and I'll give you more info.

Pete

Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6199234
03/25/18 03:32 PM
03/25/18 03:32 PM
Northeast PA, USA
Bob O Offline OP
trapper
Bob O  Offline OP
trapper

Northeast PA, USA
These are all GREAT Idea's guys. I wish I would have time to fish or hunt but will be working 12 to 14 hours days. Flying out,and getting a rental car/suv.. Won't be able to carry any gear. I really don't like the heat, the Air Conditioner is sounding really good.

Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6199331
03/25/18 05:45 PM
03/25/18 05:45 PM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Too bad you cannot take any fishing gear! About four hours up Highway 395 would have you in prime fly fishing country. I have been fortunate to fly fish many places in this world, and the CA eastern Sierras is still one of my favorites. All kinds of great trout water around Bishop and Mammoth Lakes.

Even with the long days you owe it to yourself to run up Highway 395, even if just a short distance. Along the way you will see very desolate, lonely country that is brimming with interesting scenery. Other than motorists passing you along the way, you will see little sign of human habitation, but that lends to its unique beauty. A drive along Highway 395 will have a trapper dreaming of what could be if CA allowed footholds again. I can only imagine the cats and coyotes that roam that desert countryside. No doubt some longliners operated through there during the fur boom of the 70's and 80's. Ah...one can still dream.

About 1.5 hours north of Adelanto on 395 you will come to Ridgecrest. This place is a seeming oasis in the middle of the CA Mojave Desert. Not a huge city by any means, but by far the largest town in its area. On the edge of Ridgecrest is the US Navy base China Lake, itself a sprawling chunk of government land used for weapons testing. Near the main gate of China Lake sits a little BBQ place called Casey's. Great place to stop and get a bite to eat.

If you make it to Ridgecrest, and I recommend you do, head a little bit east and you will come to a little mining town called Trona. Nearby is the Trona Pinnacles which are well worth checking out. The Trona Pinnacles have had a number of movies shot around them, taking advantage of their unique geological structures and incredible isolation.

While up at Ridgecrest hop over to Inyokern, just a short distance up the road, and check out the Indian Wells Brewing Company. They have a restaurant you can dine at, and they sell all kinds of beers and sodas. Try their Mojave Red.

There are a plethora of side roads that lead off to "nowhere" in this area. Check a couple of them out. They can take you to some cool places out in the desert. Do be careful though, as if you have trouble out there help is really a long ways off.

Hopefully this info helps you. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it turns out.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6200602
03/27/18 04:13 AM
03/27/18 04:13 AM
Northeast PA, USA
Bob O Offline OP
trapper
Bob O  Offline OP
trapper

Northeast PA, USA
Thank You All..

Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Cameron Kelsey] #6200771
03/27/18 09:57 AM
03/27/18 09:57 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Cameron Kelsey
Too bad you cannot take any fishing gear! About four hours up Highway 395 would have you in prime fly fishing country. I have been fortunate to fly fish many places in this world, and the CA eastern Sierras is still one of my favorites. All kinds of great trout water around Bishop and Mammoth Lakes.

Even with the long days you owe it to yourself to run up Highway 395, even if just a short distance. Along the way you will see very desolate, lonely country that is brimming with interesting scenery. Other than motorists passing you along the way, you will see little sign of human habitation, but that lends to its unique beauty. A drive along Highway 395 will have a trapper dreaming of what could be if CA allowed footholds again. I can only imagine the cats and coyotes that roam that desert countryside. No doubt some longliners operated through there during the fur boom of the 70's and 80's. Ah...one can still dream.

About 1.5 hours north of Adelanto on 395 you will come to Ridgecrest. This place is a seeming oasis in the middle of the CA Mojave Desert. Not a huge city by any means, but by far the largest town in its area. On the edge of Ridgecrest is the US Navy base China Lake, itself a sprawling chunk of government land used for weapons testing. Near the main gate of China Lake sits a little BBQ place called Casey's. Great place to stop and get a bite to eat.

If you make it to Ridgecrest, and I recommend you do, head a little bit east and you will come to a little mining town called Trona. Nearby is the Trona Pinnacles which are well worth checking out. The Trona Pinnacles have had a number of movies shot around them, taking advantage of their unique geological structures and incredible isolation.

While up at Ridgecrest hop over to Inyokern, just a short distance up the road, and check out the Indian Wells Brewing Company. They have a restaurant you can dine at, and they sell all kinds of beers and sodas. Try their Mojave Red.

There are a plethora of side roads that lead off to "nowhere" in this area. Check a couple of them out. They can take you to some cool places out in the desert. Do be careful though, as if you have trouble out there help is really a long ways off.

Hopefully this info helps you. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it turns out.

Cameron. Is the fish hatchery still there at Mt Whitney ?? Lots of memories of that country as a kid with a fishing pole

Mean As Nails
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6200830
03/27/18 11:02 AM
03/27/18 11:02 AM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
White17. My understanding is the Mt Whitney Hatchery at Independence, CA is no longer in operation. Evidently wildfires and mudslides in 2008 and 2009 damaged the holding ponds and some of the structures sparking an end to its days as an active hatchery. According to the website you can still tour the grounds.

I have never visited the old hatchery, but perhaps I will if I find myself in that country again. Sounds neat.

I am sure you experienced some great fishing in that area. I know I certainly have. Upper Owens River, Hot Creek, and the East Fork Walker River are just some of my favorite waters in the Sierra's.

A real night and day difference between the coastal cities of CA and the Owens Valley. Like two totally different states.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6200852
03/27/18 11:22 AM
03/27/18 11:22 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
That's unfortunate. Maybe the building is still there. Some really cool architecture !!

I have fished Hot creek, Walker river, Rock Creek, Sabrina, June Lake, Lee Vining creek. All back in the 50's and 60's. Bishop was a sleepy place back then. Lots of neat little places and history along 395

Mean As Nails
Re: Adelonto, California. [Re: Bob O] #6205709
04/02/18 10:56 AM
04/02/18 10:56 AM
Northeast PA, USA
Bob O Offline OP
trapper
Bob O  Offline OP
trapper

Northeast PA, USA
Thank you all for the info.. Flying out tonight....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread