Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Latex trap pan covers?? #6186220
03/13/18 10:02 AM
03/13/18 10:02 AM
Del Rio, Texas
nmborderyote Offline OP
trapper
nmborderyote  Offline OP
trapper

Del Rio, Texas
Planning for next year, and contemplating using a latex trap pan cover. Any feed back appreciated.

Re: Latex trap pan covers?? [Re: nmborderyote] #6186233
03/13/18 10:18 AM
03/13/18 10:18 AM
Louisiana
C
Crawfish Trappah Offline
trapper
Crawfish Trappah  Offline
trapper
C

Louisiana
I have not used the thin ones you buy but have used rubber covers cut from old rubber floor mats. I use them on 550s. I like them and they are usually reusable. I dont tuck them under the loose jaw I just rest them on top and cover. By rest on top I mean inside the jaws. I cut them where they fit perfectly. I like them because they do well in the rain and usually do not let the dirt wash in and show the trap outline...unless it's a big rain. But I mostly use wire screen now.

Last edited by Crawfish Trappah; 03/13/18 10:21 AM.
Re: Latex trap pan covers?? [Re: nmborderyote] #6186260
03/13/18 10:48 AM
03/13/18 10:48 AM
Del Rio, Texas
nmborderyote Offline OP
trapper
nmborderyote  Offline OP
trapper

Del Rio, Texas
Thank you Crawfish, I have used sandwich baggies for years, which of course are inexpensive and sometimes make multiple sets including a remake. But ultimately need to be replaced. Just entertaining the idea of something new. How do you like the wire screen, and what made you make the transition?

Re: Latex trap pan covers?? [Re: nmborderyote] #6186274
03/13/18 11:01 AM
03/13/18 11:01 AM
Louisiana
C
Crawfish Trappah Offline
trapper
trapper
C

Louisiana
During what are typically dry months here..late November thru January..I use polyfill or even wax paper. But when we start getting into February it usually starts raining every 2-3 days. When that happens I get away from dirt holes and transition to flats almost exclusively. I use a lot of bone sets and pipe sets as well. I stop covering with dirt and go to just using short clipped vegetation to cover. This was after talking to Mark Zagger back and forth on this site and reading his posts regarding his pipe sets. He is right...the screen does great when covered in dirt but it does even better covered with grass. It holds on to the grass and keeps the trap bed from giving itself away in the rain. The downside to the wire screen is that I find it a little slower. You have to fiddle with it to keep it from leaving a bubble above the pan and it is rarely reusable after a catch. It gets mangled.

Re: Latex trap pan covers?? [Re: nmborderyote] #6186278
03/13/18 11:05 AM
03/13/18 11:05 AM
Louisiana
C
Crawfish Trappah Offline
trapper
trapper
C

Louisiana
I am guessing you do not run into a lot of water issues in Del Rio...I would probably just use wax paper or polyfill if I were in that dry of a climate. its faster and dirt cheap.

Re: Latex trap pan covers?? [Re: nmborderyote] #6187584
03/14/18 04:25 PM
03/14/18 04:25 PM
new mexico
B
bmccoyote Offline
trapper
bmccoyote  Offline
trapper
B

new mexico
I have not used the latex covers but did use the little sandwich baggies fore years. A few years ago I bought a roll of fiberglass screen. I made close to a couple hundred pan covers with it and have not bought any since. I can almost always reuse them, as they are usually close by the original set, and they don't rust or wear out with moisture. I run coyote gear most of the year and they have lasted quite a while. Definitely not going back to the baggies but sure would like to try the polyfill method. I say find what you like and what works for you and run with it. One time I used a piece of a plastic feed sack in a pinch. hahaha!! Happy trapping

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91