No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: grumley701] #6179913
03/06/18 11:24 PM
03/06/18 11:24 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted By: grumley701
Engineers don't get summers off....

Teachers don't get paid for the summer either. They are paid salary based on their contracted hours. They can choose to get their pay checks spread out over 12 months but they are paid for 9.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: lebowski] #6179948
03/06/18 11:57 PM
03/06/18 11:57 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
A large majority of people straight out of college with a bachelors start at similar salaries. I started at that with a masters in public administration just 8 years ago.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: ~ADC~] #6179954
03/07/18 12:03 AM
03/07/18 12:03 AM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~

Teachers don't get paid for the summer either. They are paid salary based on their contracted hours. They can choose to get their pay checks spread out over 12 months but they are paid for 9.

He’s saying engineers work a full 12 months. Teachers work 9. If an engineer makes 70k a year that’s about $5,800 a month before tax. Using that formula, for 9 months of work, some of you think a teacher should make 52k a year. Say they get a 3% increase per year, which is pretty standard cost of living raise, if they retire at 30 years of service, their annual salary would be 126k! Lol. What planet are you guys living on that that is an appropriate salary? Lol.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: ~ADC~] #6179958
03/07/18 12:08 AM
03/07/18 12:08 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline OP
trapper
AntiGov  Offline OP
trapper

Central Oregon

Did you mean they get paid for 12 but work 9 ?

Report a post club - Non member

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: AntiGov] #6179961
03/07/18 12:11 AM
03/07/18 12:11 AM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Teacher steps/pay scale increases are not 3% per year. At my school try $600 per year with salary caps at 10 years for Bachelors degree and 20 for Masters.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: wkimble1] #6179963
03/07/18 12:13 AM
03/07/18 12:13 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted By: wkimble1
Teachers work 9.

None of them I know of only work 9. Most get 4-5 weeks off, same as my buddy who drives a fork lift in a factory, for the same money.

You simply do not know what you're talking about. Go talk to a few teachers. They put in countless hours/days/weeks of unpaid overtime and are doing one of the most important jobs in the world.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: atrapper] #6179965
03/07/18 12:14 AM
03/07/18 12:14 AM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Originally Posted By: atrapper
wkimble, I understand what you're saying. It's only fair to be paid based on performance. That seems logical in any profession. I, like you are a first generation college grad and have had to work my butt off commercial salmon fishing, selling real estate, running a lawn care service, trapping etc. to pay my way through college. I never had less than 3 jobs all the way through and I still came out with over $20,000 in loans. I get where hard work puts you. But, for you to simply make a blanket statement that teachers should teach because they love what they do and the rewards that come with it, is a joke. I'm guessing the last time you were in a public classroom was when you were in high school? I can only imagine the riffraff that would be entering the teaching profession if their sole motivation was to get a job that exclusively paid in "love and reward." Teachers certainly don't deserve the world but they at least deserve respect from those (like you) that are educated enough to know the opportunities that education has given them. It's no wonder students don't respect adults, teachers, parents, etc. when these people in their life are talked about with disdain.

Atrapper,

I’m not arguing the fact that teachers are important. Sorry if I’ve come across that way. I’m speaking only from experience in wv. I know many folks that I went to high school with who we’re absolute idiots that are now teachers. At retirement age for a GOOD teacher that has kept up with current curriculum and done a good job with the kids, a $70k salary at retirement is definitely not unreasonable. There are teachers that live by me that are great with the kids who are fed up with the whole strike and won’t participate. Here in Morgantown, most of who you see protesting are folks only a few years out of college. Do they deserve 50k right out of school? I sure don’t think so. Everyone has to shovel crap just like everyone in every other profession until they get to where they want to be. I have a cousin with an ivy leagu law degree that has been out of law school for three years. Works 16 or more hours a day for 60k. My point is, you don’t just get a degree and magically become worth a million bucks. Trust me, the job market is no better out there for younger kids just getting out of college than it is for someone with out a degree. But something I do hear frequently from recent grads is “ I’d rather do so and so than to take that job at 30k”. My response back to them is that you take that first job while you’re looking for the next. It takes some folks 20 years before they are comfortable and where they want to be in their career.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: AntiGov] #6179967
03/07/18 12:16 AM
03/07/18 12:16 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted By: AntiGov

No I did not! They are paid for 9 months, they can choose to get 9 checks per year or they can choose to take less on each check and spread them out over 12 checks. But you knew that, and are just being intentionally obstinate.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: ~ADC~] #6179968
03/07/18 12:20 AM
03/07/18 12:20 AM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Teachers work 9.

None of them I know of only work 9. Most get 4-5 weeks off, same as my buddy who drives a fork lift in a factory, for the same money.

You simply do not know what you're talking about. Go talk to a few teachers. They put in countless hours/days/weeks of unpaid overtime and are doing one of the most important jobs in the world.

Teachers in WV work 9. We start school at end of August, end school in early June. Teachers start a week earlier. I simply do know what I’m talking about as it pertains to WV. Don’t know what it’s like where you’re from.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: AntiGov] #6179974
03/07/18 12:24 AM
03/07/18 12:24 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
So no WV teachers work at the school, preparing lessons, their classrooms, etc... in the summer? They don't take continued education classes that are required to keep their teaching licenses? They don't spend countless hours on nights and weekends, before and after contract hours checking papers, preparing lesson plans, and collaborating with other teachers?

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: AntiGov] #6179976
03/07/18 12:28 AM
03/07/18 12:28 AM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
16 hours a day for 60k? Make more than that at McDonalds with those kind of hours.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: ~ADC~] #6179981
03/07/18 12:39 AM
03/07/18 12:39 AM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
So no WV teachers work at the school, preparing lessons, their classrooms, etc... in the summer? They don't take continued education classes that are required to keep their teaching licenses? They don't spend countless hours on nights and weekends, before and after contract hours checking papers, preparing lesson plans, and collaborating with other teachers?

Every other person who is salaried (not hourly) works after hours too. In Wv teachers get around 2 hours during the work day to grade papers, make lesson plans etc. maybe the solution is to make them work a full 12 months, 8 hours a day and make them clock in and out. I will agree that the health insurance issue needed fixed. The salary, I’m not so sure.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: Steven 49er] #6179982
03/07/18 12:41 AM
03/07/18 12:41 AM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
16 hours a day for 60k? Make more than that at McDonalds with those kind of hours.

Sure. But the thing is, once she has paid her dues and worked for it, she could become a partner. Youbget what you put in.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: wkimble1] #6179995
03/07/18 01:11 AM
03/07/18 01:11 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Online content
trapper
yotetrapper30  Online Content
trapper

Oakland, MS

Never once have I looked back and been thankful for any of the teachers I had in elementary or high school.

There was one. She was my 8th grade English teacher and I loved her. She made learning fun... and who can make prepositions and compound words fun? lol But moreover, she genuinely cared for every one of her kids, and it really showed.

Last year, she entered my mind so I typed her name into the facebook search, and found her. She's retired now, and I couldn't believe it, especially for an English teacher, but the first thing I saw was that she was a Trump voter and die hard conservative. No wonder I liked her. smile

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: Andy27] #6180020
03/07/18 03:05 AM
03/07/18 03:05 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted By: Andy27
Teachers are way underpaid imo. They deserve everything they get and then some..

X2

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: ~ADC~] #6180034
03/07/18 06:33 AM
03/07/18 06:33 AM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV

No I did not! They are paid for 9 months, they can choose to get 9 checks per year or they can choose to take less on each check and spread them out over 12 checks. But you knew that, and are just being intentionally obstinate.

Wes, what Jayme is trying to say, and he is correct, is that a teachers salary is based on 9 months of teaching per year. The teacher can either choose to take the whole salary in the 9 months they are working and go without a check for the 3 months of summer, or they can choose to hold back some of their salary and take less pay during the 9 month school year so they actually get a paycheck for the 3 months they are off. The teachers that take their full salary during school go 3 months without a check.

Now, the statement that the people on the picket lines were fresh out of college is complete BS. I grew up in Morgantown my entire life, and I know quite a bit more people in this town than you do. A lot of the teachers standing out on the lines were teachers that I had in school 20 years ago that are still teaching. I also saw a lot of retired teachers out on the line with their former co-workers. I know the faces out on the lines, and actually stood out on the line with them a couple of days. Anybody can argue that they "picked the wrong profession", but how often would you be able to actually work if they all just said heck with it homeschool them yourself and you were now responsible for your own kids education? If you ask me, all of you picked the wrong profession if you went to college and are only making $50-$100k/year. I have a high school education, work 36 hours a week, and make a base salary of $70k/ year and I never leave Morgantown for work. My job requires no continued education whatsoever. I work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and get the rest of the week off, which means I get more days off a week than I work, and STILL make a better wage than most any job in the state that requires a college education. So, you tell me who the smart one is. The one who gets 4 days a week off and makes $70k/yr without one minute of overtime on a high school education, or the ones who went to college, have to pay back loans, and have to continue to go to school for half of what I make? It's not the teachers fault they make what they do. If the money is in the budget to give our legislators a raise every single year, then the money should be in the budget to give the people who are educating the leaders of tomorrow a fair raise also.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: yotetrapper30] #6180049
03/07/18 07:03 AM
03/07/18 07:03 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30

Never once have I looked back and been thankful for any of the teachers I had in elementary or high school.

There was one. She was my 8th grade English teacher and I loved her. She made learning fun... and who can make prepositions and compound words fun? lol But moreover, she genuinely cared for every one of her kids, and it really showed.

Last year, she entered my mind so I typed her name into the facebook search, and found her. She's retired now, and I couldn't believe it, especially for an English teacher, but the first thing I saw was that she was a Trump voter and die hard conservative. No wonder I liked her. smile

I loved my 10th grade English teacher. She wore a miniskirt and sat on her desk. It fit just right. Her name was Pinky. Only class I ever got a an A in.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: AntiGov] #6180054
03/07/18 07:16 AM
03/07/18 07:16 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
So tell us, Dfabs, what is this wondrous job?

You're going to make me feel real stupid to have gone for a post-grad degree.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: AntiGov] #6180090
03/07/18 08:33 AM
03/07/18 08:33 AM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Dfabs,

I said I started at 33k. I’m well beyond 70k now, only 8 years later. I’m only 33. I’ve still got lots of ladder to climb. I think my degrees were totally worth it and will have paid for them selves 10 fold. I also knew in college that I didn’t want a degree that would pay me 45k for the rest of my life.

Re: West Virginia teachers strike [Re: AntiGov] #6180096
03/07/18 08:44 AM
03/07/18 08:44 AM
Wisconsin
R
Rat Trapper Sr. Offline
trapper
Rat Trapper Sr.  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Teachers are nothing but a bunch of liberals, who preach the DNC talking points. They deserve a pay cut not a raise!

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread