Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Newbie help with trap selection. #6173111
02/28/18 11:51 AM
02/28/18 11:51 AM
PA
J
Jamie Wargo Offline OP
trapper
Jamie Wargo  Offline OP
trapper
J

PA
This was my first year trapping (located in PA). Focusing on coyotes. I bought a dozen used Sleepy Creek 1.75 2-coiled offsets. I had very mixed results. I’m definitely looking to go larger this year. I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying a half dozen of each : MB 650 IL, Bridger # 3 Dogless 4 coil, and K-9s IL . My outside jaw spread is 6.5” max

I learned a lot this year and educated some fur along the way. No yotes til the last 8 days of the season. Then 3, but only one in a foothold.

Problems along the way :
# 1 - Freezing: I’m not expecting miracles, but the Sleepys wouldn’t fire with minimal ice. Even lost a red with a clump of frozen peat moss in the jaws. Frustrating to see coyote tracks all over my set. Will I see improvement with a larger trap? I do need to improve on my end next year with waxed dirt/antifreeze.
# 2 Pull outs: May have to do with my inexperience with pan tension. But obviously a larger four coil should help.

In general, if you folks were starting out again, which direction would you go? Looking for a good bedding trap. Would I be better off getting a dozen of the same and getting good at setting/bedding them?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6173198
02/28/18 01:27 PM
02/28/18 01:27 PM
Louisiana
C
Crawfish Trappah Offline
trapper
Crawfish Trappah  Offline
trapper
C

Louisiana
Be prepared to get a million answers. I have some of everything you listed except the Sleepys. I run mostly full mod Bridger #3s....it's just what I have. I have some K9 Extremes and they are just a better built trap. So If I personally was buying new traps I would go with the K9 Extremes...they are basically a Bridger Dogless design but Kendall has corrected pretty much every gripe you would have with the Bridger. I have some 650s and they are straight up coyote killers...but trickier to set and some complain about a dead spot on the back of the pan. I don't know that I would recommend to a new trapper just because there are easier traps to learn on but there is 0 wrong with them. The wire levers help them bed like butter. So if you want my opinion...I would go the K9X route and get proficient with bedding them. Just an opinion...there are a lot of good traps. And the 550 can't be overlooked either...coyote death.

Last edited by Crawfish Trappah; 02/28/18 01:28 PM.
Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6173202
02/28/18 01:31 PM
02/28/18 01:31 PM
Ontario,Canada
The North Offline
trapper
The North  Offline
trapper

Ontario,Canada
Research the hay set. Im in canada and we get lots of cold weather. So I feel your pain! lol Make a mound with straw and add urine or and gland lure then make a straw bed ( not to thick but enough to make it fluffy. Then place your trap on bed, no need for it to be bedded hard, just loosly lay the trap down then lightly cover the whole bed including the trap. Don't go crazy, just enough to cover trap, otherwise the straw will clog your trap too much and youll get a pull out. Then go back the next day to pick up your prize, and yes you will scratch your head and say " how in the world did this work" kind of defies the logic of bedding a trap solid. I guess the theory is that the bed is already spongy and cracking so the animal doesn't feel the difference.

One of the members in this forum recommended this set-up and I would say its my most productive set it even worked after freezing rain the other night

Give it a wirl!

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6173206
02/28/18 01:38 PM
02/28/18 01:38 PM
Virginia
T
thskeer Offline
trapper
thskeer  Offline
trapper
T

Virginia
You're in PA and I'll assume there is a fairly decent risk of domestics finding your coyote sets. For that you need to act like you're a live market trapper.

Id go with Bridger#2 full mod Dogless, or if you go the dog on route the PIT pan and rod dog. If you are willing to spend more, then the No BS K9 Extreme Juniors. Mine are 2 coil for the first year or 2, then I add the 4 coils back on them when I can feel the springs getting lighter.

If you have zero concern about free roaming domestics then you can jump to the full mod bridger #3 or No BS K9 Extreme. Some are reporting the Extremes will hold animals with hooves that do not stay caught in the Bridger's..... be prepared for a rodeo if you've never released a Deer or Bear.

Jakes and Sterlings are the top of the list, but real expensive.

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6173208
02/28/18 01:39 PM
02/28/18 01:39 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
I'd start with a few of the k9 juniors and a few extremes to see which you like better.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6173287
02/28/18 03:22 PM
02/28/18 03:22 PM
Indiana
H
Hunter23 Offline
trapper
Hunter23  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
mb550's or bridger#2's and wax dirt. youll be good to go all year.

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6173308
02/28/18 03:50 PM
02/28/18 03:50 PM
ohio USA
Y
yotecope Offline
trapper
yotecope  Offline
trapper
Y

ohio USA
If I was you I would try a couple of traps instead of a half dozen.. I have tried several different traps and I know run only the mb550 or the KO K9 extremes I love both traps I lean toward the MB a little more with go conditions but If I know freezing conditions and snow are coming the 4 coiled KOS get slammed in the ground they to me are a little tougher to bed but whatever steps in it stays in it

You gonna learn taday.....
Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: The North] #6174360
03/01/18 02:27 PM
03/01/18 02:27 PM
Berks County, Pennsylvania
Ditto Offline
trapper
Ditto  Offline
trapper

Berks County, Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: The North
Research the hay set. Im in canada and we get lots of cold weather. So I feel your pain! lol Make a mound with straw and add urine or and gland lure then make a straw bed ( not to thick but enough to make it fluffy. Then place your trap on bed, no need for it to be bedded hard, just loosly lay the trap down then lightly cover the whole bed including the trap. Don't go crazy, just enough to cover trap, otherwise the straw will clog your trap too much and youll get a pull out. Then go back the next day to pick up your prize, and yes you will scratch your head and say " how in the world did this work" kind of defies the logic of bedding a trap solid. I guess the theory is that the bed is already spongy and cracking so the animal doesn't feel the difference.

One of the members in this forum recommended this set-up and I would say its my most productive set it even worked after freezing rain the other night

Give it a wirl!

I'm with The North. I cannot believe how well they work on fox. I think the hay odor and very nature of giving when stepped on hides the trap. And The North is right - do not put too much hay on the trap!

2019/20
Fox - 2
Coyote - 0
Raccoon - 2
Opossum - 1
Skunk - 2

Member, LOL & SMH
Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6174573
03/01/18 06:37 PM
03/01/18 06:37 PM
new mexico
B
bmccoyote Offline
trapper
bmccoyote  Offline
trapper
B

new mexico
You cannot go wrong with the extremes or the jrs from no bs lures. Very little fuss in the trap prep, they come dipped already. Just get your stakes or drags and go. When bedding them I put a little trench in the trap bed for the d ring and base plate to set in and this helps with getting them solid. I've had a dozen extremes for about 3 years now and they have caught a countless number of critter, and they are always deep catches. I have not caught anything with a jr yet but I'm sure that they would preform flawlessly. Good luck and happy trapping

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6174624
03/01/18 07:27 PM
03/01/18 07:27 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
I think trying a few of each is a good idea. If some are not as desirable sell them on here later. The heavy traps may not be so good on the incidental coon. If in coyote only locations fine. New guys have SO many options these days.

These pullouts, were the traps shined up?

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6174652
03/01/18 07:59 PM
03/01/18 07:59 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Pullouts may also.be the result of frozen bedding material. No trap will work properly if they freeze no matter the size. Figure out a good bedding system and I bet the traps you have will work fine. You can always buy more traps but my recommendation is to go to a convention or some place that has a variety of traps and choose 1 brand and size then get used to it. That is my opinion.... I know others will be different, do what suits you..

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Hunter23] #6174667
03/01/18 08:33 PM
03/01/18 08:33 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Originally Posted By: Hunter23
mb550's or bridger#2's and wax dirt. youll be good to go all year.

There is no comparison of these traps to the 650. I've tried all 3.

I'd go with your original thought and test all the traps you mentioned (against each other). Testing traps is really the only way to decide what works best.

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6174957
03/01/18 11:53 PM
03/01/18 11:53 PM
SE Nebraska
possumcatcher Offline
trapper
possumcatcher  Offline
trapper

SE Nebraska
I really like the bridger #3 doglesses they are my favorite trap so far. I also like the k9 extreme but it is built very heavey. 650s are awesome too but i like the bigger pan of the bridger. Whatever you do, you wont go wrong with bridgers, mbs, sleepy creeks, or montgomerys. Their all good traps. Once you find what ya like then you can start heading toward 100 traps lol

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6176011
03/02/18 10:24 PM
03/02/18 10:24 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Here if I am targeting coyotes I have been using #3 Bridgers and Northwoods. I use waxed dirt for cover and don't have much problem with freeze up. We don't have many fox this is why I stick with the #3's. If we had more fox I might drop down to a #2.

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6176217
03/03/18 02:27 AM
03/03/18 02:27 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
The MB's would keep you happy.

Re: Newbie help with trap selection. [Re: Jamie Wargo] #6176234
03/03/18 04:22 AM
03/03/18 04:22 AM
SE PA ,VT,
L
luvcanids Offline
trapper
luvcanids  Offline
trapper
L

SE PA ,VT,
I run 550s, full mod Bridger #2s and full mod Duke #3s, all with short chain and 3 CP swivels. BRIDGERS and Dukes with Pit pans and ss rod dogs, pans set at 3 to 4 pounds of pan tension.
In my hay set I use #3 full mod dbls.
Peat and wax is necessary BUT the pipe dream set is a major for freezing condition.
All above traps are equal in holding in my expierence

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91