No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bees died, they’re honey lives on [Re: Calvin] #6149024
02/05/18 04:21 PM
02/05/18 04:21 PM
Ouachita Mtns, Arkansas
A
Arkiefur Offline
trapper
Arkiefur  Offline
trapper
A

Ouachita Mtns, Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Calvin
Originally Posted By: Arkiefur
Do you guys, especially the ones up north, vent the top of your hives in the winter? I am of the impression that cold don't kill bees, but moisture in the hive does. Haven't lost any since I started venting, but I am in the south also.

Ventilation is key. It's the condensation that kills them...not the cold. Just have to have a top and bottom entrance so it can vent properly.

I giggle when the southern guys talk about the cold killing their bees. But there are differences in bees that have acclimated to the colder climates and the ones we normally buy out of calif. Lots of those Calif bees don't survive well up here.

Yeah, we know our southern bees are acclimated to our area. It's when the temps do drop to single digits or below that has us worried whereas ya'lls are acclimated to it. I do agree with Warrior, if you have a mite load, bees are not going to fare well.

If atheists don't believe in God, why do they get upset when people pray to him?
Re: Bees died, they’re honey lives on [Re: warrior] #6149073
02/05/18 05:05 PM
02/05/18 05:05 PM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Online content
trapper
cotton  Online Content
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
Originally Posted By: warrior
Cold doesn't kill bees. The two of the biggest are humidity/ventilation and starvation. But the most deadly item for bees in the winter? Not dealing with the mites back in the summer. Bees going into winter with high mite levels are doomed.

reckon ya can add the small hive beetle to the list too

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Bees died, they’re honey lives on [Re: wstrnPAtrapper] #6149155
02/05/18 06:22 PM
02/05/18 06:22 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Agreed on the mites.

Luckily we don't have many beetles up here. Id even say, rare.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread