No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Farm guys [Re: Diggerman] #6136038
01/23/18 11:09 PM
01/23/18 11:09 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Diggerman
Since the advent of Round up, everyone is an expert crop farmer and it isn't gonna change soon. You will have to "value add" if you want to make money. Think out side the box, organics, new crops etc. Or you can just keep doing the same cause its easy.

I don’t agree with the round up part of this personality. I rotate herbicides every year so we don’t get lazy. I’ve tried to do my part against herbicide resistance, but vertical and horizontal integration have been a big part of my family’s success. It’s like the thread on selling fur a couple days ago. Sometimes you have find different markets that other people aren’t about and go after them even if they’re outside your comfort zone. Never be afraid of going BROKE if you give it 110%

Last edited by Pawnee; 01/23/18 11:09 PM.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136076
01/23/18 11:30 PM
01/23/18 11:30 PM
Oregon
C
clulay21 Offline
trapper
clulay21  Offline
trapper
C

Oregon
I can only speak for the area I live in. But I can tell you this the farmers around myself are not struggling. There building fancy houses every year and literally buying a new pickup every year along with a combine and buying more land.

My dads family owned a rock pit and made redi mix and asphalt. Dad always said the only people who came in and haggled with the prices were farmers and they were driving brand new trucks.

My best friends family owns a 1500 acre grass seed farm. It is in the process of being handed down to him. ( his dad is of retirement age). I do not know that financial situation and it's none of my business. But he has told me many times that if a grass seed farmer in this area is struggling financially within the last 20 years they have some serious spending issues.

Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136080
01/23/18 11:33 PM
01/23/18 11:33 PM
Oregon
C
clulay21 Offline
trapper
clulay21  Offline
trapper
C

Oregon
Farming is one of the most government subsidized occupations in the United States.

Re: Farm guys [Re: clulay21] #6136108
01/23/18 11:48 PM
01/23/18 11:48 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Yes there are probably a couple hundred thousand farmers who are millionaires and most of those are 2-4 generation operations which means it could have taken 30-100 years to become that wealthy. Also in reality you would need to be a millionaire or have the leverage to get a 500k loan to buy the inputs to plant even a thousand acres. Not many even very large farms have a couple million laying around in a check book to buy a million or so in crop inputs.

As I keep in the loop I was talking with some lenders and one institution which has a very large farm portfolio has 60% of their clients on interest only so all is not sunny in Paris. I worked with farmers all my life and yes they will haggle with you on everything, many times it is about the only discussion some of the more interverted ones carry on.

Bryce

Re: Farm guys [Re: clulay21] #6136175
01/24/18 12:49 AM
01/24/18 12:49 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted By: clulay21
Farming is one of the most government subsidized occupations in the United States.

What!! I don’t think you are very informed. My property taxes out do any thing I get from the government 3 to 1. Ask the windmill, solar panel, pro sports, & oil guys (and by the way I love the oil guys) what tax breaks and subsidies they get. If it was up to me my farm would get ZERO. I need crop insurance so I have to sign up for the farm program by law. And yes crop insurance is subsidized also, but government has got involved in every aspect of trade from embargo’s, trade deals, and tariffs so it’s fine by me. Free trade and fair trade is how it’s supposed to work. Not government intrusion. Capitalism works every time if its left alone.

Re: Farm guys [Re: bblwi] #6136181
01/24/18 01:03 AM
01/24/18 01:03 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted By: bblwi
Yes there are probably a couple hundred thousand farmers who are millionaires and most of those are 2-4 generation operations which means it could have taken 30-100 years to become that wealthy. Also in reality you would need to be a millionaire or have the leverage to get a 500k loan to buy the inputs to plant even a thousand acres. Not many even very large farms have a couple million laying around in a check book to buy a million or so in crop inputs.

As I keep in the loop I was talking with some lenders and one institution which has a very large farm portfolio has 60% of their clients on interest only so all is not sunny in Paris. I worked with farmers all my life and yes they will haggle with you on everything, many times it is about the only discussion some of the more interverted ones carry on.

Bryce

Thanks. When I go to bed every night I’ve got millions & I mean millions of dollars of cattle, land and my house on the line. It can all be gone tomorrow. It started with my GGgpa and I’ll work myself to death so my boys can have it. We work 7 days a week 300+ hours a month all year long to make a living for us and 20 employees and there families. We stop on Wednesday night for bible study and Sunday morning for church. I Love it and feel blessed to live in this country

Re: Farm guys [Re: Pawnee] #6136194
01/24/18 01:39 AM
01/24/18 01:39 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Online content
trapper
Jurassic Park  Online Content
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted By: Pawnee

Thanks. When I go to bed every night I’ve got millions & I mean millions of dollars of cattle, land and my house on the line. It can all be gone tomorrow. It started with my GGgpa and I’ll work myself to death so my boys can have it. We work 7 days a week 300+ hours a month all year long to make a living for us and 20 employees and there families. We stop on Wednesday night for bible study and Sunday morning for church. I Love it and feel blessed to live in this country

Just gotta work 10 hour days and you make millions and millions? Man, farming is the easiest thing to do to get rich! I’m on the right path! Freedom 35!

Cold as ice!
Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136253
01/24/18 07:24 AM
01/24/18 07:24 AM
North Carolina
S
Slewfoot Offline
trapper
Slewfoot  Offline
trapper
S

North Carolina
As long as they have the crop insurance its a no loose situation. A tobacco farmer told me one time they clear around 3500 dollars a acre. Some of the smaller farmers here have about 100 acres more of the bigger outfits 600 to 1000 acres. You do the math thats where all the new trucks tractors combines etc come from around here.Not counting the beans corn cotton cows chicken houses and all else the have If you listen to them talk they all are broke but it sure dosent look that way.Only occupation i know of that you can put insurance on to see if it fails and the goverment checks come straight to the mail box. Im not against it i grew up on a farm and appreciate the labor that goes along with it. But all farmers i know are not living check to check.

Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136264
01/24/18 07:44 AM
01/24/18 07:44 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Typical tman posts. Bunch of I talked to guy hearsay, well my neighbor says, and I caught a coyote or two now I'm qualified to tell others how it's done nonsense. To the boots in manure farm boys and girls out there keep your heads up, your belt tight, and your powder dry.

Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136270
01/24/18 07:50 AM
01/24/18 07:50 AM
North Missouri
L
longbow31 Offline
trapper
longbow31  Offline
trapper
L

North Missouri
All the richest people around here are farmers. Every single decent sized farmer has brand new pickups, houses at the lake, and go on a couple of trips to the beach somewhere a couple times a year. You see a mansion or a the newest diesel pickup driving around, there will be a John Deere license plate.

Re: Farm guys [Re: Jurassic Park] #6136317
01/24/18 08:58 AM
01/24/18 08:58 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
Originally Posted By: Pawnee

Just gotta work 10 hour days and you make millions and millions? Man, farming is the easiest thing to do to get rich! I’m on the right path! Freedom 35!

That millions is unpaid loans Jurassic not profit. If all the bills are paid for the year and we break even we are blessed.

Re: Farm guys [Re: tomahawker] #6136389
01/24/18 09:55 AM
01/24/18 09:55 AM
ND
J
JMF Offline
trapper
JMF  Offline
trapper
J

ND
Originally Posted By: tomahawker
Typical tman posts. Bunch of I talked to guy hearsay, well my neighbor says, and I caught a coyote or two now I'm qualified to tell others how it's done nonsense. To the boots in manure farm boys and girls out there keep your heads up, your belt tight, and your powder dry.

X1000

Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136441
01/24/18 10:36 AM
01/24/18 10:36 AM
Iowa
1187 shooter Offline
trapper
1187 shooter  Offline
trapper

Iowa
So why doesn't everyone take out a massive load buy some equipment rent some ground to farm and become millionaires? It's that simple right????????

Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136504
01/24/18 11:47 AM
01/24/18 11:47 AM
So. IL
pintail_drake04 Offline
trapper
pintail_drake04  Offline
trapper

So. IL
Most farmers around here, myself included, have a side job. May or may not be full time, but something for a more steady pay check. Commonly around here you see will farmers who also work construction, do tractor/dirt work, or are Ag mechanics. Now, we are seeing farming as the side job-like in my case. Its easier to think of it as a side gig than worry about it full time. Just my opinion.

Re: Farm guys [Re: bowman814] #6136598
01/24/18 01:25 PM
01/24/18 01:25 PM
South Central, MN
B
Blindsniper Offline
trapper
Blindsniper  Offline
trapper
B

South Central, MN
It's a been a tough road farming here for a LONG time. When we did have the high prices, several years back, we produced very little due to preventative planting, drought, flooding and early frost. It was a 3 years in a row gut punch. Prices crashed and thankfully my production has come back to at least normal to my best ever. But those 3 years have left their mark. Combined with the current market state and it's been devastating. I've cut just about everywhere I can. My goal has been to break even on the farm during this low price period. I've been fairly close overall. The problem has been the cost of living. That isn't figured into farming expenses. I have a big family and that cost isn't something that you can make disappear. But we've done what we can to mitigate it as much as possible. My wife and I created a good online business that helps a great deal. We are driving new vehicles, but it's because the OL business pays us to do so. We go on trips all over the place, but they are paid for from the other business. Does it make up for all the losses? No. But I have an 8 person family smile I've even went a year with no fertilizer. I had fertility built up were I could get away with it once. I'll have to pay the piper sooner or later, but you gotta do what you gotta do to make the bank happy. In this location we have limited options available. We could grow something else, but we have no delivery point that makes any of them viable. I do as much work as I can, equipment isn't getting the inspections like they normally would, I'm selling equipment that I rarely use, I'm selling off assets that I don't absolutely need, I've worked closely with the bank to make them as happy as I can. (They know times are tough, so no point in hiding it or shying away from the conversations) It will get better! All we can do is hold our breath and know that when it does, it is going to take years to unbury ourselves. I'm the 5th generation to work our farm and I'm not so sure I want there to be a 6th. I don't want my son to ever have to go through this!

Re: Farm guys [Re: Blindsniper] #6136666
01/24/18 02:42 PM
01/24/18 02:42 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Your right blindsniper, things are tough and they will get better. It could be A LOT worse we could have had bad weather low prices AND Nurse Ratched (Hillary) as president.

Re: Farm guys [Re: bblwi] #6136683
01/24/18 02:54 PM
01/24/18 02:54 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
You got that right. The sad thing is the kids do not want to take on the hard work of owing a farm. 7 days a week 365 days a year is hard for most people to stomach. Throw in all of the regulations and the hard time finding help, I don't blame them.
The reward is the land and working outside and the strong mind and body. I would not trade it for anything.

There are close to 11 million millionaires in the USA as of 2016 there are only 2 million farmers so even if all farmers were millionaires that leaves 9 million others that are not farmers. Based on over 40 years associated with teaching and financial management in agriculture I know that most are not. There are many other faster and better ways to become wealthy.

Bryce

Last edited by jtg; 01/24/18 02:56 PM.
Re: Farm guys [Re: bblwi] #6136772
01/24/18 04:32 PM
01/24/18 04:32 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Read up a lot about organics as the dairy organic market has taken a 9% loss in sales volume the last year which is a huge loss. Local food production is gaining more in sales and value than organic. Raising crops, vegetables, eggs, meat in more traditional ways not using chemicals or in a "natural" way is gaining more value than organic is in our area.

Bryce
Its all marketing. The organic dairy coops brought on too many dairies too fast, it will work out. " natural" is good, but only organic is "certified" and can be sold or advertised as such. Also it is not just "organic", it is organic AND sustainable.

Re: Farm guys [Re: Diggerman] #6136971
01/24/18 07:31 PM
01/24/18 07:31 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I understand and know that as i have worked with over 20 organic dairy farmers here in eastern WI. However what we are seeing is a rapid interest in natural or "biological" even if not certified and the difference in price from conventional to organic is more than 50% without a lot of the other aspects.
When neighbors know you are not using chemicals on animals, crops or gardens and you feed more forage and graze one gets a good bump. Several do go on to become certified and some also debate the value and also some of the criteria.

Bryce

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread