No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6131452
01/19/18 10:51 PM
01/19/18 10:51 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
It's about the scouting camera pics, the big tracks, the rubs, the scrapes, the frosty mornings and last, but not least, the antlers.

I hunt for horns. If I don't kill something that's just fine but I'm out there looking for the biggest animal the ground provides. Can't say I've ever mocked another hunter other than for their lousy shooting ability.

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6131469
01/19/18 11:03 PM
01/19/18 11:03 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I only shoot doe deer. Leave the bucks alone. Leave them for kids.

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6131475
01/19/18 11:14 PM
01/19/18 11:14 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
This thread got a bit off track.
The OP' s article was honest.
But for all you stating you only hunt for meat,.....
BULLSPIT!!. If you had any any sex tag and a doe walked out followed by a big buck and gave you equal opportunity for a shot, I'll bet my left nut the buck will get the shot wink

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: bucksnbears] #6131484
01/19/18 11:22 PM
01/19/18 11:22 PM
pellston mi
c hartman Offline
trapper
c hartman  Offline
trapper

pellston mi
Originally Posted By: bucksnbears
BULLSPIT!!. If you had any any sex tag and a doe walked out followed by a big buck and gave you equal opportunity for a shot, I'll bet my left nut the buck will get the shot wink

So the buck wouldn't have any useable meat on it ?

http://smarthunters.proboards.com/
Michigan SmartHunter Outdoor Forums
For those that enjoy all that the outdoors in Michigan has to offer.

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6131570
01/20/18 12:24 AM
01/20/18 12:24 AM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
I love to hunt and my family loves the meat, we try to put 6 in the freezer every year. I usually take 3-4 does and try to take a mature buck with my buck tag. I hunt a lease in Illinois and I hold out for a good mature buck when hunting up there but my buddy that's on the lease with me usually takes the first decent buck he gets a shot at and it makes him as happy as it does me to take a 5yr old or older buck. I have never looked down on anyone for shooting what makes them happy. I use my doe tags for meat and only try to take one buck per state I hunt and ill admit I like the biggest rack I can get. To each there own

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6131649
01/20/18 02:56 AM
01/20/18 02:56 AM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
I have hunted for trophy bucks, not for prestige or anything like that, for the challenge it provides during the hunt. I spent five years chasing the same buck one time and then had a guy who never hunted that block before come in drunk as a skunk and shoot the massive 11 pointer during gun season, I was very (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off and disheartened about it for a couple of years, even today I still am sad when I think about it. My buddy owned the shop the guy registered the deer at and he shoved a cigar in the deer's mouth and had a beer in his off hand for the picture. (This was when I lived in Ohio)

I fully admit that I shoot way more does than bucks and don't mind doing it, but I will hold out IF I KNOW there is a trophy buck in the area or if I have multiple tags to fill then I shoot the first adult doe so I have the meat I want.

I loved the original post here, it brought lots of memories back to my days back home in Ohio and the friends I hunted with back then!

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: bucksnbears] #6131650
01/20/18 03:27 AM
01/20/18 03:27 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Hello Mr Eunuch.
Only bucks I've ever killed were when the season was buck only. Anybody that kills a buck when a doe is legal is not hunting for meat. Tough stinky sinewy waste of effort bucks.

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: harleydparts] #6131651
01/20/18 03:31 AM
01/20/18 03:31 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted By: harleydparts
When the guy started the article with 'we're all guilty of it' it pretty much told me what he was. Sorry bubba, we all ain't guilty of it.

yup, he is one of them; I be a little guilty of laughing at the slickers in the camo with the jacked truck and the scent stuff though.

Who would wear camo on a deer hunt? Orange is so much better. (more legal too)

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6131924
01/20/18 12:47 PM
01/20/18 12:47 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
We have bull only hunting for conservation reasons. I guess I'm a meat hunter since I leave the antlers in the woods. I shoot the smallest bull. Amazing as it sounds to trophy hunters there are a few people left that understand the real reason to take an animal's life. To give life.

Last edited by Dirt; 01/20/18 06:26 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6131928
01/20/18 12:51 PM
01/20/18 12:51 PM
MI
lebowski Offline
trapper
lebowski  Offline
trapper

MI
well said.

More than likely around here though that guy quit hunting a few years ago when the property he hunted got sold or got leased out from under him. Access is the biggest hurdle to hunting now.

You either own it, lease hunting rights, or hunt the ever increasingly crowded public land. Hunting on permission is all but dead in the midwest now.

Last edited by lebowski; 01/20/18 12:53 PM.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

--The Dude
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6132087
01/20/18 03:42 PM
01/20/18 03:42 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Online content
trapper
Squash  Online Content
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Sounds like BS to me. Let’s be honest here ? No one is sitting in a tree stand, or hunting any other way, is dreaming of a doe or yearling buck to walk by them. We all are dreaming of a big heavy antlered buck presenting a shot. But due to limited vacation time and few mature bucks in most areas, many settle for a doe or yearling buck, and I guess there’s nothing wrong with that.

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: Squash] #6132223
01/20/18 06:31 PM
01/20/18 06:31 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Squash
Sounds like BS to me. Let’s be honest here ? No one is sitting in a tree stand, or hunting any other way, is dreaming of a doe or yearling buck to walk by them. We all are dreaming of a big heavy antlered buck presenting a shot. But due to limited vacation time and few mature bucks in most areas, many settle for a doe or yearling buck, and I guess there’s nothing wrong with that.

A non-believer. I understand people obsessed with antlers cannot relate. I remember talking to a city guy who could not understand why anybody would shoot a bull in winter that had shed it's antlers. crazy

Who is John Galt?
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6132260
01/20/18 07:08 PM
01/20/18 07:08 PM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
you can definitly tell the old bucks that like deer meat and would rather take a chance of getting good meat from a doe or young deer from the young bucks that dream of horns at night. i keep a camera out year round like the pictures on the computer to see the changes from year to year i dont believe in shooting the big buck and leaving the basket rack for breeding stock

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: bucksnbears] #6132288
01/20/18 07:41 PM
01/20/18 07:41 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.

And You'd Be Limping Around Missing Your Left Nut.

In Years Past, I've Routinely Dropped The First One Down The Trail Into My Sight Picture and Often It Was A Doe In Rut Being Bird-Dogged By A Buck.

Flop His Old Lady On The Ground and Every One of Those Buck Didn't Pack Their Bags For Greener Pastures.

They All Stood There Slack-Jawed and Tongue Hanging Out Wondering What Happened To Momma.

Sometimes They Took The Next Lead Sleeping Pill, Sometimes Not. But They All Stood There Waiting For Their Medicine.

So Don't Judge Everyone Else By Your Antler-Crazed, Horn Worshipping Standards.

LMAO !! laugh

walleyed

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6132340
01/20/18 08:15 PM
01/20/18 08:15 PM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
I understand both sides of the isle, but for me I fill my freezer with does, and hunt hard for a mature buck. It is mainly because I love hunting and the work it takes to wait for a old buck. And its my peace time when I'm hunting. About everywhere I hunt I can go any evening and kill a doe or young buck in a hour or so and its not very challenging and I'd be back working quicker. I love sitting in a tree and watching all the critters do there thing and its a nice break from my fast paced life. If my family was hungry I'd lay down the first animal I saw, but its really just something I love to do, and a nice set of horns is icing on the cake. But I don't judge anyone for what they take unless they are just killing for antlers only

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6132384
01/20/18 08:35 PM
01/20/18 08:35 PM

K
krispcritter
Unregistered
krispcritter
Unregistered
K

If its brown, its down. Always have tags for either sex. Meat first....horns don't matter to me. Still looking but cant find a recipe for horns.

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: ] #6132390
01/20/18 08:42 PM
01/20/18 08:42 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted By: krispcritter
Still looking but cant find a recipe for horns.

European mount? I've eaten a lot of stuff I've killed simply because I killed it. Woodcock comes immediately to mind. I choke down bear.

The meat can be long gone but decades can pass and I can still admire the antlers hanging on my wall.

Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6132392
01/20/18 08:43 PM
01/20/18 08:43 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
I think we all eventually come full circle especially when it comes to deer hunting.

That very first time I climbed into a tree the night before I dreamed about those big racked bucks I had seen on my walks in the woods. I was the first in my family that ever had the desire to deer hunt. My dad was a goose and rabbit hunter and a trapper. My grandpa(my moms dad) was a rabbit and squirrel hunter.So this was all new to me. I applied for a tag and had my dad buy me a box of slugs. I built a stand in a treeline between a big field and a small one that the deer seemed to gather in. I was determined to shoot one of those big boys that I had seen in this field several times,but realized that very first morning when I saw the first deer I was gonna blast the very first one I had close enough.Two days later I shot a button buck. I ran to my uncles house that was just up the road from us and ask him to help me drag it. I remember my mom saying"I cant believe he really got one".

For the next several years my thoughts were on a big boy but I would blast the first deer I saw.In there somewhere I took up bow hunting and managed to kill a few with my bow because then gun hunting was your guaranteed deer and if you got one with a bow it was a bonus.

Somewhere in there I managed to kill a couple of good ones and I realized that if I waited and didnt shoot the first one I saw I had better odds of killing a good deer.So Id shoot the first doe I could with my bow and with my gun and wait as long as I could to fill my other tags. That eventually led to me waiting till the last day to fill my last tags.

Then my boys got old enough to deer hunt and gun season was all about them. I was still in the mode where I would kill the first deer I could with a bow and then buck hunt the rest of the season even if that meant only killing one deer a year. I stopped buying gun tags and just let the boys hunt and when they were done so was I.

For about 3 years I didnt bow hunt because I kinda lost interest in it. Getting up and going to the woods to shoot a deer seemed like more of a hassle than fun. I concentrated my efforts on ducks and trapping.

I seemed to start to miss bow hunting so one fall I started back up but I didnt seem to have the same desire that I once had. I didnt NEED to kill the first one I saw or even kill one at all and if I had a deer close enough to shoot that was a successful hunt in my eyes.That year I killed my biggest bow deer to that time. My need for deer hunting seemed to change. I really wanted to "hunt" for a deer not just the first one that walked by,or even the first one with horns that walked by. I wanted to kill the best one I could. I would NOT consider myself a trophy hunter I go out and find the one that suits me. He needs to be wider than his ears and preferably past his nose.

I dont feel the need to just kill a deer to say I "got my deer" like in the old days. I dont kill bucks so I can go and brag on the Facebook. I dont have them measured or measure them myself. Its more about the sense of accomplishment I feel when I scout and do my homework to get everything just perfect to have him walk into bow range.

With all that being said I dont care what you shoot.I dont care if you have the latest and greatest bow. And honestly if a guy gets out of his newer than 2012 jacked up truck wearing matching camo from head to toe and pulling a boat that looks like it just came off the showroom floor I automatically assume he is a topwater.

Gary Bartlow
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: Squash] #6132442
01/20/18 09:28 PM
01/20/18 09:28 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted By: Squash

Until the freezer is stocked I am specifically looking for the most prime deer meat that is walking. That is young deer, maiden does or young bucks. I try for the does. Since I have started raising sheep it only takes a couple deer to give me what I need.

Once I have my meat I start hunting mature bucks.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: It's About More than the Antlers [Re: K-zoo] #6132454
01/20/18 09:41 PM
01/20/18 09:41 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
I have 3 kids that hunt so I have no lack of deer meat.

Gary Bartlow
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread