No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128587
01/17/18 01:17 PM
01/17/18 01:17 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
These opiates are a epidemic and are scary.

My son had a mishap last Thursday, broke his nose and orbital bone under his eye, the ER docs gave him a script for 10 Vicadin, I let him take one the first night, that was it. He asked for another the second day but I said you haven't been complaining enough, take an Advil or Tylenol instead.

What the heck did he need 10 of those things for?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: Steven 49er] #6128589
01/17/18 01:18 PM
01/17/18 01:18 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Originally Posted By: ShaneT
I would rather by a factor of 100 have someone that was under the influence of weed on the road than someone under the influence of alcohol. There really is no comparison.

With that said I don't think someone smoking weed and driving is a good idea. I suspect that their will be some sort of sobriety test developed for it before long.

One of the most ludicrous things in the world is that someone who is hungover from a drunk the night before can go to work and be A-OK, but someone who injested pot 10 days ago can lose their job. Retarded.

I get random drug tested at work and I walk the straight and narrow so I have no worries, but we got a company wide email from DOT stating that due to the optiod epidemic that they are doubling the amount of random drug screening this year. What a load of feces. So to battle opiod addiction they are going to double screening of people that are working hard and holding down a very demanding job. How stupid can you be?

I don't know about you shane but I'd as soon not have people addicted to opiodes working around me, or drunk or hung over. There are many "hung over" people who are still impaired in the AM. Dont want them around me. Heavy equipment or heavy loads aren't all that forgiving.

I'm all for legalization because I don't believe that prohibition has been working. But I almost never drink and it's safe to say I don't anymore and for sure don't do drugs but if people want to work at a good paying job they can follow the rules, it's that simple. I want to go home at night with 10 toes and 10 fingers.

Amen to that, Steven. Especially in a workplace like DOT (assuming DOT is Department of Transportation). Some of those people are on the road making them a danger to the public in addition to the workplace.

I don't agree with you on legalization, though. I also agree with drug testing for people receiving all forms of welfare benefits unless they have a doctor's statement.

Most in this country have things people in other countries only dream about. Yet, they want America to be more like those other countries.
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128598
01/17/18 01:28 PM
01/17/18 01:28 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Why not just end welfare???????? Quit rewarding irresponsible behavior

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128603
01/17/18 01:31 PM
01/17/18 01:31 PM
Pa
A
Art S Offline
trapper
Art S  Offline
trapper
A

Pa
Children should not be allowed to purchase or consume.
Do you think it will be as easy for a child to get their hands on
some through a legal business than from an illegal dealer that lives on their street?
According to the CDC the main "gateway" drug is tobacco.
Not saying kids can't find a way,but I'll bet a lot
of the pot smokers that moved on to bigger drugs did so
because their illegal dealer was out that day,
but if "you still want a buzz,try this".
Sorry to hear about any kid getting hooked on dope,cigarettes,or anything that holds them back.
The current system works so well,why change anything.

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128606
01/17/18 01:32 PM
01/17/18 01:32 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Yes, my reference to DOT is what you think it is. My line of work is natural gas pipelnes, the US DOT is one of the agencies tasked with administering safety regulations on NG lines. DOT says that all contractors working on said lines will be required to do random drug testing. So even if the guys or gals aren't driving a company vehicle they are still subjected to random tests. Perfect!

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128613
01/17/18 01:37 PM
01/17/18 01:37 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Trapper7, I too am truly sorry about your son. However, it does seem this happened even though weed is not legal in your jurisdiction so perhaps legalization doesn't really have that much to do with it? Anybody that wants it can get it legal or not.

I also always cringe when I hear it is an addictive substance. With opioids and alcohol people have physical symptoms of withdrawal. I have never heard of that for marijuana. At what point is it that a person just likes to get high...or needs to get high?

Personally, I don't care for THC, but I do like me some beer and wine. I feel I would be a hypocrite to presume to tell anybody that they should not have the right to use pot while holding a beer in my hand.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: Steven 49er] #6128615
01/17/18 01:41 PM
01/17/18 01:41 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Yes, my reference to DOT is what you think it is. My line of work is natural gas pipelnes, the US DOT is one of the agencies tasked with administering safety regulations on NG lines. DOT says that all contractors working on said lines will be required to do random drug testing. So even if the guys or gals aren't driving a company vehicle they are still subjected to random tests. Perfect!

I was thinking of Shane's post where it seems he got a post from DOT that they would be doubling the amount of drug testing for employees. I'm in total agreement with everything you said. Perfect!

Most in this country have things people in other countries only dream about. Yet, they want America to be more like those other countries.
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: Trapper7] #6128650
01/17/18 02:25 PM
01/17/18 02:25 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted By: Trapper7
I would rather by a factor of 100 have someone that was under the influence of weed on the road than someone under the influence of alcohol. There really is no comparison.

With that said I don't think someone smoking weed and driving is a good idea. I suspect that their will be some sort of sobriety test developed for it before long.

One of the most ludicrous things in the world is that someone who is hungover from a drunk the night before can go to work and be A-OK, but someone who injested pot 10 days ago can lose their job. Retarded.

I get random drug tested at work and I walk the straight and narrow so I have no worries, but we got a company wide email from DOT stating that due to the optiod epidemic that they are doubling the amount of random drug screening this year. What a load of feces. So to battle opiod addiction they are going to double screening of people that are working hard and holding down a very demanding job. How stupid can you be?

I can see their point. With the seriousness about the opioid addiction and the possible consequences involved, especially since it's DOT. I don't understand why you should be concerned since you aren't a user.

I think that money used on the increase in drug screening could be put somewhere where it will do more good. Why concentrate on a group of people who are less likely to be addicted?

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: Steven 49er] #6128653
01/17/18 02:29 PM
01/17/18 02:29 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR

I don't know about you shane but I'd as soon not have people addicted to opiodes working around me, or drunk or hung over. There are many "hung over" people who are still impaired in the AM. Dont want them around me. Heavy equipment or heavy loads aren't all that forgiving.

I'm all for legalization because I don't believe that prohibition has been working. But I almost never drink and it's safe to say I don't anymore and for sure don't do drugs but if people want to work at a good paying job they can follow the rules, it's that simple. I want to go home at night with 10 toes and 10 fingers.

I absolutely agree that I don't want to be working around someone using anything legal or illegal. I work around heavy equipment every day. My point is simply that the money used for that increase in testing should be directed toward a more at risk group of people.

The guys and gals that are getting up before daylight and putting in a hard days work are less likely to be the ones with the opiod addiction issues.

Last edited by ShaneT; 01/17/18 02:45 PM.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128665
01/17/18 02:40 PM
01/17/18 02:40 PM
Pennsylvania
J
JOKPA Offline
trapper
JOKPA  Offline
trapper
J

Pennsylvania
I work in a private contracting company and our clients require a policy on drug testing. We are drug tested at the beginning of a contract and then the companies are drug testing the same groups of people on rotation to show random and they no up front that they will pass. No black eye on the company and the contract is happy. A useless policy used to cover up a possible issue.

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: JOKPA] #6128672
01/17/18 02:48 PM
01/17/18 02:48 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted By: JOKPA
I work in a private contracting company and our clients require a policy on drug testing. We are drug tested at the beginning of a contract and then the companies are drug testing the same groups of people on rotation to show random and they no up front that they will pass. No black eye on the company and the contract is happy. A useless policy used to cover up a possible issue.

Exactly my point and exactly my problem with the increase in drug screening by DOT. Seems like a way too make it look like they are doing something meaningful when it will make little or no difference to the problem they say they are trying to solve.

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128709
01/17/18 03:27 PM
01/17/18 03:27 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Kids see the hypocrisy of adults who drink railing against weed. Keep on keeping on but kids attitude towards weed won't change until adults and legislatures attitude towards alcohol does.

Has every weed smoker started with alcohol? I had my first drink at 14 and had my first hit on a joint at 18. Seems to me that alcohol is as much a gateway drug as marijuana.

Of course most adults don't want to admit alcohol is a mind altering drug, it's just having a drink.

Last edited by gray dog; 01/17/18 03:29 PM.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: oldtrapper] #6128716
01/17/18 03:41 PM
01/17/18 03:41 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted By: oldtrapper
Psalms 104:14 King James version of the Bible

God causes the grass to grow for the cattle and the herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth.

Well,

"If God Is For Us (It), Who Can Be Against Us" (It) ? smile

w

Last edited by walleyed; 01/17/18 03:43 PM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128726
01/17/18 03:54 PM
01/17/18 03:54 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Good point Walleyed lol

The whole drug testing thing was a scam started by the insurance companies so they could Welch out on accident payouts, they offer businesses cheaper policies if they test for drugs, when in fact its not proven that cannabis causes accidents, in fact the small studies they done showed the opposite.

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128736
01/17/18 04:00 PM
01/17/18 04:00 PM
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

People talk about gateway , mothers milk must of been the first thing they started on years ago .
Now mothers use formula so formula must be the gateway to everything .

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: beaverpeeler] #6128739
01/17/18 04:04 PM
01/17/18 04:04 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: beaverpeeler
Trapper7, I too am truly sorry about your son. However, it does seem this happened even though weed is not legal in your jurisdiction so perhaps legalization doesn't really have that much to do with it? Anybody that wants it can get it legal or not.

I also always cringe when I hear it is an addictive substance. With opioids and alcohol people have physical symptoms of withdrawal. I have never heard of that for marijuana. At what point is it that a person just likes to get high...or needs to get high?

Personally, I don't care for THC, but I do like me some beer and wine. I feel I would be a hypocrite to presume to tell anybody that they should not have the right to use pot while holding a beer in my hand.

Beaverpeeler, I can assure you it's addictive based on my own son's admission and his counselor who was at one time a former user himself. My kid said that's why he preferred pot to get high over alcohol, no hangovers or withdrawals. He would have gotten it legal or not, that's a non-issue for him. Desperation has many faces for him.

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yukonjeff] #6128744
01/17/18 04:10 PM
01/17/18 04:10 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: yukonjeff
Good point Walleyed lol

The whole drug testing thing was a scam started by the insurance companies so they could Welch out on accident payouts, they offer businesses cheaper policies if they test for drugs, when in fact its not proven that cannabis causes accidents, in fact the small studies they done showed the opposite.

And where did you get your information? I've been in the insurance industry 50 years and saying the opposite is true on the studies done by insurance companies is wrong. I can assure you it's no scam, put proven fact that people on drugs in the workplace are more likely to have an accident than drug-free ones, not the opposite as you claim.

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128745
01/17/18 04:12 PM
01/17/18 04:12 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Trapper 7, is your son creative or artistic in any way?

I'm asking a serious question. I have kind of a theory based on my own observations.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: yotetrapper30] #6128747
01/17/18 04:13 PM
01/17/18 04:13 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Shane, you work with heavy equipment and you have a problem with drug testing? If I were in your shoes, I'd be happy about it.

Re: Medical Marijuana and Guns [Re: Mike in A-town] #6128749
01/17/18 04:15 PM
01/17/18 04:15 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
Trapper 7, is your son creative or artistic in any way?

I'm asking a serious question. I have kind of a theory based on my own observations.

Mike

Interesting that you say that, Mike. He's a very good artist. He does a great job drawing wildlife, particularly fish.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread