No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65 this year and?? #6115682
01/06/18 03:30 PM
01/06/18 03:30 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline OP
trapper
GritGuy  Offline OP
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I'm getting inundated with Medicare information mailers. Who here has been through this and has had to pick type of package or not until needed.

I've heard that as long as you have med insurance your not required to even let them know, however have heard you still need to let them know during your application period that your either going to pick a package or your not until you take your full retirement which would be for me in 2019.

Looked on the Social Security site and never found a decent comfortable yes or no answer ?

Any one who HAS been through the process, I would be interested in your feed back
Thank You

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115694
01/06/18 03:47 PM
01/06/18 03:47 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Online happy
trapper
wissmiss  Online Happy
trapper
W

north Idaho
I went through this a few years back. I don't remember all the details but do remember getting enough literature in the mail to have killed a tree!!

The one thing that stuck in my mind is that you have a window of opportunity to sign up for Medicare and all preexisting conditions are waived. I think the window is 7 months - 3 before your birth month, your birth Monet and 3 months after.

If you have preexisting conditions and don't sign up within that 7 months, then premiums can be more. If you sign up within those 7 months, you are covered at the lowest rate, for as long as you live, no matter how sick you are at the beginning.

That is the one thing that stuck in my mind. Other than that you have to consider

- supplemental plans, if so, which one.

- prescription drug coverage

- private plans

- all sorts of stuff.

If you currently have health insurance, I would fit down with a representative from that company and have them explain the options and the pluses and minuses. They will (or at least for me they did) condense down all the info you are getting in the mail and help you make the best decision.

Good Luck.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115700
01/06/18 03:58 PM
01/06/18 03:58 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
For us, the Medicare Advantage plan offered locally by our previous provider was what we chose and we have never regretted it. It costs us $ 81/mo. each. My wife is a cancer survivor and I have major heart problems. My heart ablation last year was billed out at well over $ 100,000 and I paid $ 550 out of pocket. Without the supplemental we would be hurting.

Each situation is different but any time spent analyzing the alternatives as they apply to your situation is time well spent.

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115702
01/06/18 04:02 PM
01/06/18 04:02 PM
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
If you don't sign up for the prescription part, I think you are penalized 10% premium increase for every year thereafter if you decide later you want it.

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115713
01/06/18 04:23 PM
01/06/18 04:23 PM
Utah
L
Lockjaw52 Offline
trapper
Lockjaw52  Offline
trapper
L

Utah
It is quite simple if you know your own financial status and your basic health needs.

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115717
01/06/18 04:32 PM
01/06/18 04:32 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline OP
trapper
GritGuy  Offline OP
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Thanks but I never asked for a grade on my knowledge LOL

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115720
01/06/18 04:35 PM
01/06/18 04:35 PM
Utah
L
Lockjaw52 Offline
trapper
Lockjaw52  Offline
trapper
L

Utah
I am sorry. I wasn’t grading you, but most people can figure it out without help!

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115722
01/06/18 04:37 PM
01/06/18 04:37 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
Originally Posted By: GritGuy
Thanks but I never asked for a grade on my knowledge LOL

I can see from your original post you are terribly confused.

C-

[Linked Image]
La pervenche est une tr�s belle couleur!!

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115723
01/06/18 04:38 PM
01/06/18 04:38 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I opted to not take my SS check until I reached full retirement age. In my case it was at age 66. You will have income limits if you take it early prior to your full retirement benefit age. If you don't really need to take it early I would wait to receive your full benefit payment. That was my choice. Some have differing opinions on that decision.

I got full benefit payments, I chose Aetna as my supplemental insurance plan as it was the best plan with no co pays and very reasonably priced. At the time of my selection there was only $20-$30 difference in all the plans that I compared. I chose the one that was a bit more then some others by $18.00. You saved a few dollars on some with your monthly premium but those with co pays over time add up real fast.

My deductibles are reasonable on my plans as well. Take the time to shop and write down the various comparisons of each companies plans expenses and any co pays that you may be responsible for before purchasing a plan. It will make it much easier to decide the right plan for you and your needs.

I too got flooded with mail and phone calls when I neared retirement age. It makes you feel like a dog in heat, every hound in the neighborhood wanted a piece of you for you money that is. LOL
The more Drs. Appts, lab work and diagnostic testing that is done can add up to a lot of money in a year in co pays. If you feel lucky and you want to risk not paying a little more each month that is a personal decision. Health risks don't go down with age they typically rise for the avg. individual.

Choose your plan wisely as you many not be able to switch it if you develop health issues later down the road. That first choice is important.

You will need to find a drug plan as well. I chose Humana for my prescription drug plan and it is about average for generic drugs ($1 to $4.00 for each generic prescription on my plan ) and they cover a wide range of meds. If you get into brand name products they will cost much more and you may need to really shop for your best choice in a drug plan. They just went up again for me in less then a years time on their annual premium.

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115728
01/06/18 04:43 PM
01/06/18 04:43 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
Medicare and Social Security are not intertwined, excepting if you are drawing SS, your Medicare bill will be deducted from your check. I'm not on SS and I pay my MC out of pocket.

You are virtually compelled to sign up for MC at age 65, regardless of when you decide to cash in on you SS.

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115736
01/06/18 04:56 PM
01/06/18 04:56 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline OP
trapper
GritGuy  Offline OP
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Well Hal it seems that if your paying for your Medicare out of your SS that would be pretty well entwined in my world, don't know about yours.

As to be virtually compelled to sign up at 65, that does not seem to be true either according to several medical insurance agents lately, some saying if your covered by a program when your age is up that all your giving up is the pre-existing time period and can sign up later on. That when your insurance is up or do for a redo, you can then sign up for the MC if you desire, although it may be at a different cost, knowing now that all medical programs are different even with age it makes good sense to ask those who have been through it how they are doing with it !

Now maybe if you could answer that without adding your flair for talking down to everyone who ask's for a reply on a thread you might be actually worth a squat !

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115739
01/06/18 04:59 PM
01/06/18 04:59 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
Well Hal it seems that if your paying for your Medicare out of your SS that would be pretty well entwined in my world, don't know about yours.

Are you asking for advice or giving it?

Now maybe if you could answer that without adding your flair for talking down to everyone who ask's for a reply on a thread you might be actually worth a squat !

You have an odd way of asking for assistance.

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115745
01/06/18 05:08 PM
01/06/18 05:08 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline OP
trapper
GritGuy  Offline OP
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Bob, thats my case I'm taking the SS at full retirement age, without retiring and there will be no penalty on the SS, I've got that worked down good. Can still work full time only will have the state taxes taken out of the SS and the MC fee if I choose it instead of the current program I'm paying for. This is the main question, is one compelled to sign up as Hal advised or can one still just keep going through different medical programs and not worry about MC being a need, like it seems your program your doing ? It seems that you never signed up for MC as Hal has suggested ?

What I have yet to see is if you pass up the 65 window on MC, are you out just for the pre-existing window, yes is what I've come to feel now with most answers, or are you out with selections when and if you decide to give up or change your current medical insurance your using.

What seems to be the consensus is you still can get the MC but it will cost more because you never signed up at 65. If you decide to not re-up our current plan

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115746
01/06/18 05:10 PM
01/06/18 05:10 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline OP
trapper
GritGuy  Offline OP
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Hal thanks for the answers which are as confusing as your humor !

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115757
01/06/18 05:40 PM
01/06/18 05:40 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
Bob, thats my case I'm taking the SS at full retirement age, without retiring and there will be no penalty on the SS, I've got that worked down good.

So you've got that figured out.

Can still work full time only will have the state taxes taken out of the SS and the MC fee

Nope. You can't work and dodge the SS and MC on your income. There are special circumstances. Miz was a teacher and covered under a State Techers Retirement plan which exempted her from SS tax.

if I choose it instead of the current program I'm paying for.

Your current program must be certified as an acceptable substitute. Again, with Miz the STRS health insurance qualifies as a substitute for Medicare part B and D. Not any old program will do. Does your current program qualify?

This is the main question, is one compelled to sign up as Hal advised or can one still just keep going through different medical programs and not worry about MC being a need, like it seems your program your doing ?

Again you must determine if your current health insurance qualifies. It is not automatic.

It seems that you never signed up for MC as Hal has suggested ? What I have yet to see is if you pass up the 65 window on MC, are you out just for the pre-existing window?

What seems to be the consensus is you still can get the MC but it will cost more because you never signed up at 65. If you decide to not re-up our current plan

Medicare is not mandatory. That's why I said "virtually". You never need to sign up. HOWEVER, if you choose to sigh up after 65, you will pay double premiums for all the years you missed. For example say you sign up at age 67. You will pay double premiums for two years as a "catch up" for setting out two years.

You're welcome.

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115781
01/06/18 06:07 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
I haven't read all the comments but will say wissmiss is on the right track.

There's many variables.
I worked in a health issuance medicare program.
Yes you have 3 months before 3 months after and the birth month of your 65th birthday to either take medicare part A or part a and part b. You can get part b at another time if you currently have insurance and still working. One thing is you do not want to ever go without rx coverage or you will be penalized.

Get a medicare advantage (part c - combines parts a,b and d) with rx. They have much better rates (premium, copays, deductible and coinsurance)+ they often add other services like eye exam, gym etc...

A medicare supplement plan is very expensive. You've seen the commercials for AARP.

Your best bet is to talk with your health insurance and see if they have a medicare plan with your company. Some carriers will some won't. If you have tricare tricare will always pay last.
I have seen many who worked and just took part a until they retired then got part b and got on or medicare advantage plan.
If you suspect you have kidney issues make the choice now or you won't be able to switch again. Sane is transplant stuff. All other conditions won't prevent you from switching plans down the road

Yes medicare is taken out of the ss check most choose for it to be taken out automatically. At the very least Take part a right away or get penalized forever. Don't go without rx coverage or you will get penalized forever too. You can appeal the penalties but that's a headache.

Last edited by adam m; 01/06/18 06:09 PM.
Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115782
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline OP
trapper
GritGuy  Offline OP
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Quote:
Nope. You can't work and dodge the SS and MC on your income. There are special circumstances. Miz was a teacher and covered under a State Techers Retirement plan which exempted her from SS tax.

Cognizant your lacking Hal, this statement is in regards to the SS coming in not the continued working income I will still be working with. If one retires earlier than their full Retirement age they are penalized with a lower SS check, that will not happen with my coming in SS due to waiting till my FRA

Quote:
Your current program must be certified as an acceptable substitute. Again, with Miz the STRS health insurance qualifies as a substitute for Medicare part B and D. Not any old program will do. Does your current program qualify?

Thank you for your first good answer, It seems per your description I would have to check with the MC people for certification about my current program, makes sense although I have yet to see that any where on their site

Quote:
Medicare is not mandatory. That's why I said "virtually". You never need to sign up. HOWEVER, if you choose to sigh up after 65, you will pay double premiums for all the years you missed. For example say you sign up at age 67. You will pay double premiums for two years as a "catch up" for setting out two years.

Actually you said compelled, words really, no worries I get it. What is really the question I guess now that you have really sorted it all out, is that one has to use the MC program to fish for insurance plans if they cannot find a certified MC cleared one.

Thanks for your time Hal you can do it really if you try once and a while, just wish you would start without replying by drop kicking a guy first !

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115783
01/06/18 06:09 PM
01/06/18 06:09 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline OP
trapper
GritGuy  Offline OP
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Thanks Adam thats very clear, appreciate it, yes I worry about my kidneys due to stone history !

[Linked Image]

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115784
01/06/18 06:12 PM
01/06/18 06:12 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Thanks Adam thats very clear, appreciate it, yes I worry about my kidneys due to stone history !

You're welcome. I would've kept going but was getting tired of writing on my phone. smile if you're worried get on a good plan while you can.

Re: 65 this year and?? [Re: GritGuy] #6115786
01/06/18 06:16 PM
01/06/18 06:16 PM
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread