Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#48234 - 01/20/07 04:59 PM Lynx thread/archive
Anonymous
Unregistered

I set a few cubbies on some fresh (3 day old) tracks.
How long before they usually come back by there?? on one set, I found where the lynx had bedded down, will they tend to do that in the same area??

#48534 - 01/20/07 08:18 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
martentrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Moved to Fbks, Ak.
If there are plenty of rabbits around, they might not go far. Of course they may not be too hungry either. Have some lure.
If rabbits are scarce they can do some travelling. Can't really predict what kind of time frame they might come back on.
mt

#51020 - 01/22/07 12:10 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: martentrapper]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did the area up good, I hung about 4 or 5 duck wings around, use rimrock for call, and I have a big hunk of beaver and a rabbit in the cubby. and a 750 wolf OS.

#51102 - 01/22/07 01:01 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
I'm having similar problems. Wayy too many rabbits. I also have some competition. I have a guy setting within a mile of my area.

I'll going all out this next check with ribbon, wings, lure, more beaver. I might even through in a extra trap or two.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#51138 - 01/22/07 01:21 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: Kusko]
snowman Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Kusko
I'm having similar problems. Wayy too many rabbits. I also have some competition. I have a guy setting within a mile of my area.

I'll going all out this next check with ribbon, wings, lure, more beaver. I might even through in a extra trap or two.

I'll bet that if you order some of those, they'll draw the cats to your sets.

#51238 - 01/22/07 02:26 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: snowman]
Anonymous
Unregistered

what are you using for lure??
I was thinking of getting some catnip at the store and putting that around..

#51474 - 01/22/07 04:31 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
Dusty Offline
trapper

Loc: North Pole, AK
Sometimes they just won't come to a cubby no matter what's in there. Hanging a few snares where they are in the first place will probably be more productive than looking for that perfect lure. But post it here if you DO find that lure....

Setting a trap about 4' in front of your cubby will get those cats that just peek in and don't commit.

#51490 - 01/22/07 04:35 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

I was just using that Marten Super All Call. I didn't want too much attention paid to it as we had high traffic with the K300 last weekend.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#51519 - 01/22/07 04:43 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: Kusko]
Anonymous
Unregistered

king and buseer put a WHOOPin on those others eh,
anyways, maybe I will put out some magnum marten there

the lure I was using Rimrock, is basically castor and catnip.

Do you have to set "on top" of their tracks, or in the area??
My last set is at a funnel, and there are 3 sets crossing there, BUT, it is also where the trail cuts through, so I set of about 50 yds, "downstream" of there because of the traffic.

#51572 - 01/22/07 05:13 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
smalltimetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Interior Alaska
I caught my lynx this year in a cubby baited with a rabbit and tainted beef scraps, used the Powder River Cat Call for lure, a grouse wing swingin' in the breeze. I heard that Dean Wilson used PRCC for canines as well, I haven't tried that application yet. I used Bridger #3's, seems to be a good trap for this.

#51608 - 01/22/07 05:27 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
king and buseer put a WHOOPin on those others eh,
anyways, maybe I will put out some magnum marten there

the lure I was using Rimrock, is basically castor and catnip.

Do you have to set "on top" of their tracks, or in the area??
My last set is at a funnel, and there are 3 sets crossing there, BUT, it is also where the trail cuts through, so I set of about 50 yds, "downstream" of there because of the traffic.

Yah, they sure did. King has this race wired and it seems to be a good one to get because of the prize money $20000.

I put my cubbies in areas that the cats have been seen in the past.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#52021 - 01/22/07 08:07 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: Kusko]
trapper

I use Asa Lenon's Bobcat Allcall... With #4 DLS and MB 750 wolfer's... Steve loaned me a few duck wings this year and I used them! I caught a 25 lbs Tom this year in a walk through cubby, 2 weeks later I had a similar sized cat walk up to the cubby and turned and left... I don't know why. Hopefully next week I'll have him!

Lynx tracks on my trail...

My lynx set up, #4 DLS on 10 foot of chain with MB Crunch Proof swivels...

Walk through cubby, baited with a bunny...

- Clint

Edited by Alaskacajun (01/22/07 08:25 PM)

#52348 - 01/22/07 10:57 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
Loel Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla, Ak
I like to use duck or spruce hen for bait in my cat sets. I use bridger #3s mostly.

Clint, your cats made it to my end of the road this week. lol

#52382 - 01/23/07 12:47 AM Re: Lynx sets [Re: Loel]
Gator Jr. Offline
trapper

Loc: Eagle River, Alaska
Loel,

Did you pick up an cats this weekend?

#52564 - 01/23/07 08:52 AM Re: Lynx sets [Re: Loel]
trapper

Originally Posted By: Loel
I like to use duck or spruce hen for bait in my cat sets. I use bridger #3s mostly.

Clint, your cats made it to my end of the road this week. lol

A lot can happen in 2 weeks... Hope you catch 'em before we do though, sounds like you're having a slow year so far!

- Clint

#52938 - 01/23/07 02:41 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: ]
martentrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Moved to Fbks, Ak.
I've had my share of experience with picky cats. I found 2 thingsd that helped.
I quit making cubbies, sort of, and started making a big obvious dirt hole with some sticks, and spruce boughs as guiding. Make this set under a well furred spruce for weather protection. Bait, lure and sight attractor. The cats seemed more likely to approach to where they stepped on the trap. I put the bait on the ground, in the hole, which means the shrews/voles would be eating it, but vole activity at a set isn't all bad.
The other thing I did was walk, or snowshoe, off my snogo trail to the tree where the snowhole was made. Even in little snow, you can make an obvious trail. Hang snares on that trail. Sometimes I did one, sometimes 2. it appeard that from whatever direction the lynx approached my set, he would end up walking on my trail. If he didn't enjoy the pleasures of the bait and trap, me often ended up in the snare.
Of course, you have to consider weather, snow, wind, etc. when making these sets.
There's one other set that was a 100% catch rate set for me. Make a snowhole on an incline, like the side of a beaver house. Set your trap so he has to step up onto it to peer into the hole. I think the curiosity factor, to see what is in the hole(that he probably already smelled) always did him in.
mt

#53890 - 01/23/07 09:42 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: martentrapper]
Loel Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla, Ak
Ted, no I didn't connect on any. I missed one twice with snares. The extra 10" of snow since last week didn't help on that one. The other came in to a cubby and circled it and left. Another came in on another cubby and ate my duck. The snow that fell off of the tree covered the trap. The cat even layed on top of the trap and ate the duck. Go figure.

Clint it has been real slow year. Not my best year by any means. I am spending more time resetting then exploring this year.

MT, I have been playing with a snow hole set this year. I put about a baseball sized hole in the snow bank on the side of my trail. I put bait and lure in the hole and put a #3 in front of it. Now all I need is some cats to walk by. lol

#56032 - 01/25/07 01:12 AM Re: Lynx sets [Re: Loel]
mmwb Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Wyoming
Rather than post twice, I'd appreciate it if you cat guys would critique some of my cubbies posted at:
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=56031&page=0#Post56031

While targeting bobcats, I think your conditions are more similar to mine than most of the lower 48. Comments would be appreciated.

#56060 - 01/25/07 05:00 AM Re: Lynx sets [Re: mmwb]
bctrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Prince George, BC Canada
Your sets look fine. Alway remember 2 things. Cats hunt by sight and they don't like anything around their head. Make sure they will not tough any sticks or bush with their wiskers.

#57103 - 01/25/07 06:17 PM Re: Lynx sets [Re: bctrapper]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
I am having the same problem with cats going by sets. I think MT idea of dirt holes and snares is best. I am setting snares in the trail where it narrows down. I will hang the snare and set a branch in the trail to block the other side funneling them into the snare. This works very well for me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >