Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lynx sets [Re: piperniner] #114080
02/28/07 01:31 PM
02/28/07 01:31 PM
Bethel, AK
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"
Kusko  Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Bethel, AK
Well, the cat took a look at my set, but didn't commit. I had a 330 set in a bucket. His track went right in front of the bucket but he did not stick his head in. I wish the heck I would have put a foothold in there (let's just say there is one there now). \:\( I found he or she was working the bank pretty hard and was in a spot for a long time just upriver from this set. I was very excited to say the least when the tracks were leading right to my bucket. So....MT, I haven't caught the only lynx on the lower Kuskokwim yet. \:\) And FYI, our local pro just upriver from me has caught more than 10 lynx this year already.

I made a couple of pocket sets last night for mink and one for ermine.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." Linus Van Pelt

www.alaskafinandfur.com
Re: Lynx sets [Re: Kusko] #114165
02/28/07 02:41 PM
02/28/07 02:41 PM
Alaska
P
piperniner Offline
trapper
piperniner  Offline
trapper
P

Alaska
Kusko : I think foot holds and snares are the best for lynx. Gulo and Gator jr. are far more qualified to comment on that . However, have Mike R. tell you how he showed a novice the bucket sets for wolverine, only to have the guy get a nice lynx. At least thats the story Denny told me recently. The buckets are always interesting, got a coyote yesterday.

Re: Lynx sets [Re: piperniner] #114175
02/28/07 02:55 PM
02/28/07 02:55 PM
Bethel, AK
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"
Kusko  Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Bethel, AK
Yeah, I have bunch of footholds and snares out, but naturally, it came to my only bucket set.

I need to chat with Mike about his lucky horseshoe.... he drew a goat tag and a Delta sheep tag.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." Linus Van Pelt

www.alaskafinandfur.com
Re: Lynx sets [Re: Kusko] #114299
02/28/07 04:41 PM
02/28/07 04:41 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Well Kusko, since the guy upriver caught 10, you have to quit so they don't get overharvested!!!!!!!!!!

Was that bucket for lynx, or wolverine? You know..........if you use the "official" western alaska version of the white 17 pole set, I bet a lynx would be more likely to get caught in that. The wolverine like them too.
I'd say it's even harder to get a lynx into a bucket, than a wolverine. There was an article in the trap and pred caller about a Kanuck that used coni's for lynx. Traps and snares for me, and generally both at any set.
mt

Re: Lynx sets [Re: martentrapper] #114315
02/28/07 05:03 PM
02/28/07 05:03 PM
Bethel, AK
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"
Kusko  Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Bethel, AK
It was intentionally for lynx. We don't have too many wolverine roaming the lower river.

Don't worry, I still have a month to catch that sucker!!

www.alaskafinandfur.com
Re: Lynx sets [Re: Kusko] #146726
03/21/07 09:36 PM
03/21/07 09:36 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
From Alaskacajun

Here's a Lynx cubby using a #3 DLS and baited with a bunny. Asa also provided the lure as well, and man does it smell good! If you look close you can see the marten that I caught, this is what you would call a walk through cubby! I also have duck wings hanging nearby and flagging!

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: Lynx sets [Re: Kusko] #146981
03/22/07 12:17 AM
03/22/07 12:17 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
Posted by Gator

AKCajun, Congrats on your first Lynx, don't forget the RAID.

I have to be a proud dad for a second, Carolyn was nice enough to put my daughters picture on the cover of this months Trappers Magazine, she was definitely excited. Wayne also had a nice article in there as well, well written.

I asked about using Otter carcasses for bait a couple weeks back, and didn't get too favorable of a response. It seemed to work for me, I picked up four cats this weekend and two of them were in the sets I used my Otter carcass on. On one set the Lynx almost completely ate the half of carcass I used. I don't know about everyone else, but it seems like my lynx this year have had a lot more brown on them than usual for this time of year.

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Lynx sets [Re: otterman] #151675
03/24/07 11:27 PM
03/24/07 11:27 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
question asked by Kusko
Question for all of you Lynx and Wolverine guys. Would it pay for me to make a few sets even if we haven't cut any tracks yet. We know there are some in the area, but with the blowing snow conditions, finding tracks has been hard.

Reply from Trialblazersteve
will know their travel routs and they are pretty good about sticking to them.Somtimes it takes a week or two to come back thru but like the wolverine,they will come back.Look for sign along ridge lines and or on the edges of thick rabbit sign.If you make cubby's,make them right next to these area's but not right in the middle or you will be catching "mega tons" of rabbits.I like to make the cubby's more in an open area next to the rabbit sign and hang wings and tape a few yards around the cubby.Use your marten lure's to bring them in and I have found that rotten bird works the best for bait.

Question from Alaskan
What do you guys use for lynx lure. Not bait (I'll be using beaver) but some added "foo-foo" juice to entice them in. Just trying to figure out if I should bring up some smell good for them.

Reply from Trailblazersteve
Alaskan,I have been fooling around with lure's on cats for years and found that the skunky based ones work the best.I use the same lure's as I do for marten,both sweet and skunk.Cats seem to go crazy for strong castor lures like Pacific Call but It's not strong enough to bring them in when it's -20.Thats why I use both sweet and skunky lure's.Remember though that if a cat is full and satisified there is NOTHING that will bring them to your cubby.Seen them walk right by my sets before including this weekend!

Reply from Gator Jr
We've always used Pacific Call. I save my moose hide from each year and cut it into six inch squares, attach a piece of wire to them and hang one in each of my cubbies. I put my lure on them, and at the end of each season I bundle them all up and reuse them the next year. I even use PC on my marten sets.

Reply piperniner
Gator Jr. : I'm with you on the hide/lure thing. Wolverine rip it off the tree every time. Castor/ fish oil/ skunk has always worked the best for me.

reply Piperneiner

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Lynx sets [Re: otterman] #151790
03/25/07 01:08 AM
03/25/07 01:08 AM
Northern Alberta
R
Rick McC Offline
trapper
Rick McC  Offline
trapper
R

Northern Alberta
Sorry - I put my lynx bit on a "new topic" If those in charge can move it to the lynx topic - I'd thank them

Re: Lynx sets [Re: Rick McC] #155950
03/27/07 10:58 PM
03/27/07 10:58 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
Posted by Pete in Frbks

MT,

I use "dirt holes" under spruces pretty extensively for lynx. Works well here in Interior.

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman