No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690368
11/05/16 12:06 PM
11/05/16 12:06 PM
David City, NE
C
Coyote Chaser Offline
trapper
Coyote Chaser  Offline
trapper
C

David City, NE
I am very fortunate here, we have a great warden, he does a good job and always answers his phone, and is really good about getting me beaver permits anytime of the year

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Coyote Chaser] #5690558
11/05/16 06:09 PM
11/05/16 06:09 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
For the most part ours are great, although we have had a lot of turnover in my area and I do not know them as well as I used to. They make a good effort to come to our rondies and meetings.
On the bad side we had a warden who has been fired and facing criminal charges. Everything from falsely accusing people, confiscating firearms and keeping them himself, intimidation, using DNR boat for pleasure, etc.
Worst one was back a number of years ago, (different warden) my buddies little brother was 16 and shot his first buck on opening morning. He got the deer back to the road, had it tagged but in excitement had neglected to slit the AM-PM portion of the tag. Now it is 10 on opening morning of season, the deer is still steaming and the guy takes the deer, writes him a ticket and ruins what was a great day and probably soured him for life.

Zim

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Zim] #5690565
11/05/16 06:17 PM
11/05/16 06:17 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Here is a link to a newspaper article on the guy.

http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepub...636aff506b.html

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690594
11/05/16 07:00 PM
11/05/16 07:00 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I've had one incident with one warden in all the years I've been trapping...

I was out checking traps and had the wife with me. She had to pee, so instead of pulling off into a field to check the last trap, I drove down to the section road and hopped out of the truck to check the set by looking over the fence. Apparently the landowner's neighbor had heard shooting moments before and happened to see me run down the ditch, look over the fence, then hop back in the truck and drive off.

The dipstick called and reported me for poaching deer.

Deputy pulled me over about 5 miles down the road and held me until the game warden arrived. This particular warden was the LT over the other wardens in the area and had a reputation of being fairly hard-nosed. He was sure he had me and pressed me for 15 minutes trying to get me to spill my guts about poaching deer...

I told him repeatedly that I was checking traps. He finally started asking all the pertinent questions related to me trapping this piece of property... license, written permission, target species, brand, size, style of trap, signage, etc...

He finally realized I was telling the truth and was abiding by the law... The tone of the conversation changed instantly and we had a nice chat about trapping, swapped stories and experiences, etc...

He never was my favorite warden to deal with. But I had respect for the guy. He quit the warden service a handful of years back

That's about the only "negative" experience I've had with the wardens in my area. All my other experiences have been pretty upbeat. There aren't a lot of trappers around here, and a lot of the older wardens knew that we had the potential to make their jobs easier when people were having problems with nuisance critters.

I haven't had much interaction with the batch of new young ones they have now. Just have to see what kind of folks they are.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690617
11/05/16 07:19 PM
11/05/16 07:19 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
It all depends. If they expect me to be a boot licker they'll find out otherwise. If they treat me with respect I do the same.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5690735
11/05/16 09:38 PM
11/05/16 09:38 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Some interpret the law different ,But good for the most part. We got some butt kiss people that need to be busted . They have the wardens ear ... He will figure you out!

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: trapper les] #5690773
11/05/16 10:07 PM
11/05/16 10:07 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Originally Posted By: trapper les
Originally Posted By: rick olson
We have 3 in our area,2 are real good stand up CO's with common sense,the other one is probably voting for Hillary.I'm sure he'll read this,but i dont care.Last dec,yes i said LAST DEC he seized our martens,stating they where tagged improperly,we have coupon tags[like a deer tags]does'nt have to be attached to the animal.You mark/cut out date,am/pm maten/fisher/otter we've always marked them with a ball point pen,cant change once you've marked them,he the CO said they need to be cut out with a knife to be vaild,i've talked to many CO's through out our state and everyone said my coupon tags were legal.Most of the time when you register your pelts to get your cite tags they do not even ask for the coupon tags,once since they started them about 5 years ago.Getting back to last dec,he just informed us we are getting tickets for our improperly tagged marten 10 months 27 days later,like i said he must be voting for Hillary,he's quick on his job NOT......Nick you should be more like Eric and Ben GOOD CO's or are you an ANTI......I guess we'll see each other in court....Enough of my rant,but i really dislike people that have no common sense.
Rick, what does the rule book say regarding the validation of your coupons ?
It's kind of blurry, but ball point pen isn't included in the notching methods. Just trying to be helpful .

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Zim] #5691517
11/06/16 09:37 PM
11/06/16 09:37 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Originally Posted By: Zim
Here is a link to a newspaper article on the guy.

http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepub...636aff506b.html

that warden needs his (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) kicked!!.

our local wardens are good hard working guys. they do a good job

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691540
11/06/16 09:48 PM
11/06/16 09:48 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Professional, dedicated, fair, consistent and brimming with common sense. Like the vast majority of law enforcement in Ontario.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Mike in A-town] #5691553
11/06/16 09:55 PM
11/06/16 09:55 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town

I was out checking traps and had the wife with me. She had to pee, so instead of pulling off into a field to check the last trap, I drove down to the section road and hopped out of the truck to check the set by looking over the fence. Apparently the landowner's neighbor had heard shooting moments before and happened to see me run down the ditch, look over the fence, then hop back in the truck and drive off.

Deputy pulled me over about 5 miles down the road and held me until the game warden arrived. This particular warden was the LT over the other wardens in the area and had a reputation of being fairly hard-nosed. He was sure he had me and pressed me for 15 minutes trying to get me to spill my guts about poaching deer...

I told him repeatedly that I was checking traps. He finally started asking all the pertinent questions related to me trapping this piece of property... license, written permission, target species, brand, size, style of trap, signage, etc...

He finally realized I was telling the truth and was abiding by the law... The tone of the conversation changed instantly and we had a nice chat about trapping, swapped stories and experiences, etc...

He never was my favorite warden to deal with. But I had respect for the guy. He quit the warden service a handful of years back

That's about the only "negative" experience I've had with the wardens in my area. All my other experiences have been pretty upbeat. There aren't a lot of trappers around here, and a lot of the older wardens knew that we had the potential to make their jobs easier when people were having problems with nuisance critters.

I haven't had much interaction with the batch of new young ones they have now. Just have to see what kind of folks they are.

Mike

Don't suppose that was a guy by the name of Dakota Cagle was it, Mike ?

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #5691576
11/06/16 10:10 PM
11/06/16 10:10 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt
Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town

Mike

Don't suppose that was a guy by the name of Dakota Cagle was it, Mike ?

No Aaron, the warden I spoke of was Keith Green. I have heard rumors he resigned from ODWC due to misconduct on his part. I don't know if that's true or not. He was good at his job so I'm sure he had plenty of enemies who would spread rumors.

Hard to say for sure. He had a reputation for being tough. But after he figured out I was on the up-and-up, my dealings with him were positive.

Mike

Vladimir Lenin
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691607
11/06/16 10:36 PM
11/06/16 10:36 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Was just curious . Cagle was out in your neck of the woods for awhile before he transferred back to Canadian County to retire as this was his home area. I never had any issues with him . He did his job and couldn't fault the man for that . I believe he passed away recently.

Anyway , where I live now has a very interesting cross-section of agencies and so on . A couple of Wildlife Management Areas and lake bodies that are operated, and under ,the jurisdiction of the City of Lawton . At least one of these backs up to a federal wildlife refuge . If you're on the City owned property , you're required to have the appropriate City permits . The Lawton PD Officers that patrol the lakes area and the Fed guys at the refuge are pretty well versed on what's what in the areas mentioned , but sometimes the State guys need some help in reading a map on what applies to where . That being said, I've never had a negative issue . Just pull out a map .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691619
11/06/16 10:51 PM
11/06/16 10:51 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Sounds... interesting.

I don't recall ever meeting Cagle. But I wasn't much into any outdoor pursuits while I was going through my apprenticeship.

Green was pretty fanatical about busting poachers. Which was a good thing. But like I said in my story, he could get a little enthusiastic. But once he found out I was actually telling the truth, he backed way off and changed his attitide.

My only real complaint about Oklahoma wardens is that when you call one, they tend to try and get off the phone with you ASAP. And I know why... most counties up here only have one warden. They get run ragged trying to keep up with their jobs.

The good ones definitely earn their pay.

Mike

Last edited by Mike in A-town; 11/06/16 10:54 PM.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691763
11/07/16 06:31 AM
11/07/16 06:31 AM
Melrose, MN
B
billsauk Offline
trapper
billsauk  Offline
trapper
B

Melrose, MN
The 2 wardens by me are great. Both of them are pleasant and treat you properly. After they check you over for the normal stuff both of them have given me tips for duck hunting, trapping, or something like that. I had one last winter walk out onto the ice to check me, and we he got there he said if I knew it was you I would have stayed in the truck! Nice guys doing a job the right way.
I did have one bad experience with a warden 20 years ago. I lived in Bemidji at the time and was duck hunting with a couple guys. We were just about to the landing and he jumps out from behind a tree all sneaky like. We hit shore and he wants our licenses and shells. I had some reloaded shells for duck hunting. They were steel shot, but this guy just had it in his head I was lying to him. It didn't matter how many times I told him he wouldn't listen. He kept telling me just tell me the truth. finally he makes me walk to his truck which is a hundred yards from the landing cuz he's sneaky haha. On the way there he's chewin my butt about lead shot and quit lying to him. We get to his truck and he sets my shells on his hood and gets his magnet from the truck, and gives me one last chance to tell him the truth. I told him check the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) shells. He checks one and the magnet sticks, then another, and another. I grabbed the other box and said you want to check these too? His exact words were get the fuc outta here. He was a real piece and I'm glad I only had the one dealing with him.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691783
11/07/16 07:22 AM
11/07/16 07:22 AM
west virginia
W
wvmntnhick Offline
trapper
wvmntnhick  Offline
trapper
W

west virginia
Not real sure about the local ones as I've not met them. Odd that I've been here for 11-12 years and haven't run into one, ever. Did call one of them to file a complaint about an illegal incident. He was too lazy to even try to catch the guy because it was "too far off the road." His words, not mine. Back home I'd see them more often. Most were pretty good best I can tell. I've got a buddy that's a DNR officer as well. He's a manner here but I can't recall his screen name. If I've got questions, he's got answers. Some of our laws are written kind of weird and it leaves things open to interpretation. He and I were discussing one of the laws at one point and I told him that if it were to go to court, a half wit lawyer could beat the charges. He simply replied that a "good English teacher could win the case." It was kinda funny.

I keep desperately hoping that one day someone will call me "Sir" without adding "please calm down" or "you're causing a scene."
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691784
11/07/16 07:26 AM
11/07/16 07:26 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Except for the basket case I mentioned in CO every warden I ever came in contact with was VERY polite. When asked respectfully for my license, or to see trap tags, or do you have permission/landowner contact info, I respond in the same fashion. The guy accusing me of violating regulations, stopping me without cause, wanting to "examine" a rifle I showed him was unloaded? Guy ought to be wearing blaze orange clothing and picking up highway trash with a guard waiting to take him back to jail.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691943
11/07/16 11:31 AM
11/07/16 11:31 AM
East Pensyltucky
Beaglador Offline
trapper
Beaglador  Offline
trapper

East Pensyltucky
Had a number of good experiences with my local WCO s.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5691978
11/07/16 11:59 AM
11/07/16 11:59 AM
MN.
huntingmaxima Offline
trapper
huntingmaxima  Offline
trapper

MN.
We had a dandy a couple of yrs back. He is now your problem in the Princeton area.

MICKEY MANTLE, BABE RUTH, HANK ARRON, HUNTINGMAXIMA, HARMON KILLEBREW, REGGIE JACKSON, TED WILLIAMS
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5692285
11/07/16 07:14 PM
11/07/16 07:14 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
In Washington State I think that most of the game wardens (now call wildlife police) were picked on as children. Now they are using their position to bully others.

However, all of my encounters with Alaska wildlife troopers have been nothing but very professional.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5692309
11/07/16 07:32 PM
11/07/16 07:32 PM
WI
N
northwoodsrat48 Offline
trapper
northwoodsrat48  Offline
trapper
N

WI
I have never had a problem but I dont viloate. When I am checked out we end up talking about hunting and conservation. They have even pointed me towards landowners that might be open to trappers.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread