Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Bear trap help #5459535
03/14/16 05:35 PM
03/14/16 05:35 PM

H
Haggard OP
Unregistered
Haggard OP
Unregistered
H

A non trapper found this Newhouse #5 bear trap on a ridge behind his house. It never has been rusty, or messed with at all. He found it in the late seventies wrapped in oil cloth. He also found about two dozen jumps, and some long springs with it. The discoloration is from his storage shed. (Leaky roof) can anyone give me some info? Trap value (aporox)? I'll work on the picture of the pan. It isn't government stamped.

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5459546
03/14/16 05:42 PM
03/14/16 05:42 PM

H
Haggard OP
Unregistered
Haggard OP
Unregistered
H

Here is the pan. You just wouldn't beleive what he wants to give it to me for. You just wouldn't.

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5459569
03/14/16 05:53 PM
03/14/16 05:53 PM
Huntingburg, In.
N
No.4 Offline
trapper
No.4  Offline
trapper
N

Huntingburg, In.
Awe come on, Haggard. Tell us how much he wants to give it to you for?

That's a nice Kenwood. Looks like it would clean up well.

Re: Bear trap help [Re: No.4] #5459570
03/14/16 05:55 PM
03/14/16 05:55 PM

H
Haggard OP
Unregistered
Haggard OP
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: No.4
for trapping 4 beaver behind his house.

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5459573
03/14/16 05:56 PM
03/14/16 05:56 PM
Huntingburg, In.
N
No.4 Offline
trapper
No.4  Offline
trapper
N

Huntingburg, In.
Originally Posted By: Haggard
Originally Posted By: No.4
for trapping 4 beaver behind his house.

No way! You lucky dawg. Congratulations.

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5459585
03/14/16 06:03 PM
03/14/16 06:03 PM

H
Haggard OP
Unregistered
Haggard OP
Unregistered
H

Not kidding at all. I turned it down. I have no idea what it's value, that's why I posted it. I told him I would ask the internet folks too see if anyone could give me some info. I took the jumps and showed him a couple of sets. (It's 25 minute drive from my house, not worth my time for just beaver). Shoot, the jumps he found have stronger springs than my jumps. I am going to build him a large shop later in the spring, and I'm no theif. That's why I couldn't walk away with that bear trap in my truck.

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5459769
03/14/16 07:49 PM
03/14/16 07:49 PM
North East Texas
Matt58 Offline
trapper
Matt58  Offline
trapper

North East Texas
Nice...easy 1K from what I see on ebay

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5459801
03/14/16 08:13 PM
03/14/16 08:13 PM
Huntingburg, In.
N
No.4 Offline
trapper
No.4  Offline
trapper
N

Huntingburg, In.
Originally Posted By: Haggard
Not kidding at all. I turned it down. I have no idea what it's value, that's why I posted it. I told him I would ask the internet folks too see if anyone could give me some info. I took the jumps and showed him a couple of sets. (It's 25 minute drive from my house, not worth my time for just beaver). Shoot, the jumps he found have stronger springs than my jumps. I am going to build him a large shop later in the spring, and I'm no theif. That's why I couldn't walk away with that bear trap in my truck.

Good on you, Haggard.

It's a pretty valuable trap. Here's some info, borrowed from Vance's 2016 Newhouse Trap Price Guide (pocket sized)... a good starting point.

The trap's condition plays a major part in determining a value. Are the springs stamped?

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5459971
03/14/16 09:41 PM
03/14/16 09:41 PM

H
Haggard OP
Unregistered
Haggard OP
Unregistered
H

Thanks matt. I'll figure out the eBay search thing next.

No.4, the springs are stamped. I don't remember what they read. I am guessing it would range in the "very good" condition? Standing there looking at it, it looked like it had never been set, let alone stuck in the ground. Do you have a time range when it could have been made? I ask because there is a chance I can back track the once trapper.

Thanks to all you knowledgeable trap collectors

Re: Bear trap help [Re: ] #5460122
03/14/16 10:35 PM
03/14/16 10:35 PM
Missouri
N
Nhousecattrapper Offline
trapper
Nhousecattrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Missouri
The Kenwood period ran from 1888 until 1905, with the earlier models having Trip Hammered springs. The trap pictured has machined springs so would fall into the later time frame. It will either have the three line Oneida spring stamp, or the Arched Kenwood spring stamp. Check the outer facings of the jaws to see if they are flat outer faced, or if they have a inward bevel on the outer jaw facings. As the OC and Kenwood period overlapped for a decade from about 1893/95 until 1905, the later model Kenwood's will have the beveled outer faced jaws you see on the OCs. Oneida got their heavier steel from the ROME foundry in Rome New York. You will also want to check the heavier steel such as baseplate, cross, dog, and jaws for ROME which you may or may not find, as well as depending on where the metal was cut you may see the entire ROME, or only part of it such as one letter, (R) two letters,(RO) or three letters. (ROM). Many different variables to look at when trying to give an accurate depiction of value.

"PURVEYOR OF FINE ANTIQUTIES and RARE TRAPS". Member... MTA/CFM/NTA/NRA/NATCA #0620
Re: Bear trap help [Re: Nhousecattrapper] #5460359
03/15/16 01:24 AM
03/15/16 01:24 AM

H
Haggard OP
Unregistered
Haggard OP
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: Nhousecattrapper
The Kenwood period ran from 1888 until 1905, with the earlier models having Trip Hammered springs. The trap pictured has machined springs so would fall into the later time frame. It will either have the three line Oneida spring stamp, or the Arched Kenwood spring stamp. Check the outer facings of the jaws to see if they are flat outer faced, or if they have a inward bevel on the outer jaw facings. As the OC and Kenwood period overlapped for a decade from about 1893/95 until 1905, the later model Kenwood's will have the beveled outer faced jaws you see on the OCs. Oneida got their heavier steel from the ROME foundry in Rome New York. You will also want to check the heavier steel such as baseplate, cross, dog, and jaws for ROME which you may or may not find, as well as depending on where the metal was cut you may see the entire ROME, or only part of it such as one letter, (R) two letters,(RO) or three letters. (ROM). Many different variables to look at when trying to give an accurate depiction of value.

That's unbelievable. More than I could have imagined. Heading back that way tomorrow. Got to check beaver sets. I'll take my camera and post more pics also.

To anyone that traps also, I have a list of 3 trappers who trapped that family owned ridge. One of them I personally knew. If it is who I think it is, that man would be 125 years old this fall. Wow. Small world

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector