ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
How long can this go on??? #5422440
02/17/16 09:01 PM
02/17/16 09:01 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va

I am not an ADC trapper, I'm a fur trapper. I did some summertime ADC work for an ADC company about 15 years ago, but none in the winter. So I have an idea of ADC techniques, but have not dealt with a winter house skunk infestation before.

Eight days ago I got a call from an exasperated property manager. There is a skunk problem in a home she manages. It's in town, 200 years old, and has 3 apartments. Skunk odor and noise under the floor. There is a cellar in the house, with some crawl space.

The only ADC trapper in this area was recently arrested on felony charges for stealing from a customer. There is no others within an hour. I reluctantly agreed to help her out since it is not too far out of my way.

I checked in the cellar and there was skunk foot prints everywhere. One had sprayed directly under the floorboard of an apartment. Right there I found an small entry way where they had pushed a brick or two of the foundation out of the way as an entry point. It is a tight area in a recessed corner.

So I set up a 110 mag right at the entry point and blocked it off. Despite cold temps I have caught 6 skunks in 7 days. Only the coldest night with snow did I not catch any.

The first one I caught was a male coming out. The rest have been going in. Altogether 4 males, 1 female, and one unknown (the only one that sprayed). I can not be sure that there are no other entry points, but I could not find any.

I have read that only females den together....is that true? Is there likely a female in heat holed up in there? I have looked at exclusions but this is such a tight area it would be difficult to attach without damaging the house and I have no experience with that anyway.

How long should I keep the trap up with no activity before I give her the green light to go ahead with repair?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5422467
02/17/16 09:21 PM
02/17/16 09:21 PM
wi/mn
T
travellintrapper Offline
trapper
travellintrapper  Offline
trapper
T

wi/mn
Originally Posted By: pass-thru

The only ADC trapper in this area was recently arrested on felony charges for stealing from a customer. There is no others within an hour.

I have no advice for you since my skunks are all holed up in the winter, but I find the above comment interesting. We had a member here who was arrested a year or two back for stealing some mandolin worth $250,000 from a blind lady in Wisconsin. Im not sure if that dbag is still a member here or not but ive got no time for his type. Now some other NWCO was arrested on felony charges??? what the heck man

michael

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5422648
02/17/16 10:51 PM
02/17/16 10:51 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We just had discussed a similar and several skunk topics not long ago. Scroll down the topic names within the last couple of weeks and you will find them.

I suggest you read through those threads as it may answer some if not all of your questions.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5422700
02/17/16 11:09 PM
02/17/16 11:09 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va
Yes I did read those threads, and the questions I posed here were not addressed.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: travellintrapper] #5422709
02/17/16 11:14 PM
02/17/16 11:14 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: travellintrapper

I have no advice for you since my skunks are all holed up in the winter, but I find the above comment interesting. We had a member here who was arrested a year or two back for stealing some mandolin worth $250,000 from a blind lady in Wisconsin. Im not sure if that dbag is still a member here or not but ive got no time for his type. Now some other NWCO was arrested on felony charges??? what the heck man

michael

Write up in the paper said something along the lines that he and a helper were caught red handed clearing items out of a shed into his truck.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5422744
02/17/16 11:36 PM
02/17/16 11:36 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Seems there are bad apples in every bunch anymore.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5422816
02/18/16 12:47 AM
02/18/16 12:47 AM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Welcome to skunk baby making season. You caught the female, you are done if you want to be trapping wise. Every male skunk that passes within a mile will visit her den site for weeks after she is gone until her (I am ready to breed) scent is gone.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: RF Wildlife] #5423065
02/18/16 09:21 AM
02/18/16 09:21 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Originally Posted By: RF Wildlife
Welcome to skunk baby making season. You caught the female, you are done if you want to be trapping wise. Every male skunk that passes within a mile will visit her den site for weeks after she is gone until her (I am ready to breed) scent is gone.

X2

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5423213
02/18/16 11:21 AM
02/18/16 11:21 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Sealing other alternative entry points and installing an excluder would be the best option. If you are attempting to resolve the problem of this kind at this time of year exclusion is a technique that should be learned. We can only do so much with advice on here the rest you must work out the details on your job site. A good place to start learning the trade in this area.

I am sure you can construct something without having to actually mark or tap into the house surface. Making a wooden frame of sorts that fits flush and attaching the excluder of the appropriate size to the wooden frame you built would solve one problem. Configuration of the site entry location would be your first step. Then securing suspected alternative entry points.

Then its a waiting period to allow occupants to leave but to prevent others from re entering.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5423519
02/18/16 02:26 PM
02/18/16 02:26 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
FWIW2U: According to the NTA trapping manual, and articles I've read from the Mo Dept of Conservation, Skunks are very gregarious and like to den up in bunches, (one way rabies and other airborne diseases are passed around), but they rarely spend more than a night or 2 in the same place unless the weather is dog crap.
The one way door idea seems to be your best bet.
As to the sprayed spot, if the essence is concentrated, try spraying some recipe on the spot, but that won't help any airborne stink.

Good luck.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5423630
02/18/16 03:43 PM
02/18/16 03:43 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va
Thank you very much for all of the feedback. I caught number 7 this morning. I have offered to provide an exclusion device at cost and help a handyman of their choosing to install it. I am waiting on the homeowner's decision.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5434468
02/26/16 01:39 AM
02/26/16 01:39 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline OP
trapper
pass-thru  Offline OP
trapper
P

Va
I can now answer my own question.....I caught 8 skunks in 9 nights with a single 110 at the point of entry. I caught no more in the next five nights when the exclusion arrived yesterday and I set it up. All done for me. Now I wonder if word gets around since I did the job. Skunks all over here, heard somebody complaining in the coffee shop this afternoon but I kept quiet.

Re: How long can this go on??? [Re: pass-thru] #5439622
02/29/16 11:28 PM
02/29/16 11:28 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I wouldn't try anything but a cage trap for skunks.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread