General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5242658
10/24/15 03:16 PM
10/24/15 03:16 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Is the cat litter you use scented? Most of the cat litter I have seen is strongly perfumed to cover the cat urine smell.

Keith

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: KeithC] #5242771
10/24/15 06:04 PM
10/24/15 06:04 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: KeithC
Is the cat litter you use scented? Most of the cat litter I have seen is strongly perfumed to cover the cat urine smell.

Keith

Keith I'm not sure if it was scented to begin with, but it smells like cat (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) now. I don't know what else to tell you. I can smell the urine standing feet away from it. This cat litter has definetly been used to it's potential.

I don't think it would matter even if it was scented. It was just be another new odor mixed with cat urine for them to be curious about in my opinion. It's still early, but I do know nothing passes without at least marking that spot once.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5253893
11/02/15 12:28 PM
11/02/15 12:28 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Been a while since I updated. Continuing to see activity on the baits. Finally starting to see multiple species. I've added fox this week to the mix. Still no cats. Animals are starting to hit the scraps better than in the past, and I have coyotes on baits every night. Sorry for the multiple pics here. There's a lot more, but these seem to be the clearest:

Here's a coyote on scraps. Hit them every night for a week. I have over 100 pictures of him eating scraps. He's going to be fat.

Had to throw him in there. Nothing special, but I'd like to catch a front view. Wasn't planning on deer hunting this year.

Still have coyotes hitting the cat litter. They don't pass it without marking it.

These coyotes had the scraps cleaned up, but did return every night at dark, and every morning just before light to check for new scraps. Also caught a fox in there. They're starting to make a pretty good trail on the ridge above the draw.

Here's a picture of the trail they've made between the draw, and the fenceline. Snare heaven about 50 yards off the pile.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5253911
11/02/15 12:50 PM
11/02/15 12:50 PM
Central, MN
S
Snocat Offline
trapper
Snocat  Offline
trapper
S

Central, MN
Great post! Love looking at game cam pictures on baits. Great way to learn a few things. I a started my coyote bait piles here a few weeks age with scraps I get from a meat locker. Excited to get some snares out! Murse how many coyotes do you think are visiting one bait? I have a hard time with my pictures telling the diffence.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5253937
11/02/15 01:09 PM
11/02/15 01:09 PM
Central, Illinois
IllinoisTrapper1 Offline
trapper
IllinoisTrapper1  Offline
trapper

Central, Illinois
Awesome thanks for sharing, I'll have to haul some used cat litter into the woods and give it a shot.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5253945
11/02/15 01:14 PM
11/02/15 01:14 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I'm not sure exactly how many are hitting the baits. There's for sure a few that visit the sites nightly. There's some that are easy to tell apart, and others that look pretty close. There's even some in the pictures that look identical I'd think they were, but the baits are all at least 15 miles apart. I wish I had cameras to run on all the baits I have going.

I have one in particular that has been getting fed since July table scraps, fish, deer etc. and the landowner is ready for me to come catch them as they are howling nightly. There's just no great place to put a camera. I've also came across a natural bait on one landowners where two llamas died over the summer. They've drug those carcasses around in circles. There's trails everywhere.

I have coons, possum and multiple skunks hitting these locations nightly too. I've just filtered the ones I'm more interested in. The ones I have steady animals coming to I can tell pretty well. The coons are coming from the creek, and the larger predators are coming from the top side just like where they enter on camera. I'm holding off on some of these locations as I have someone coming in the end of November to trap with me, and I'd like to see him get on some Nebraska coyotes.

As in the past my coon baits are getting hammered full effect. I'm not starting on them yet with the prices that they are, but I will set for some the second week of November. If the weather holds I'm going to try to get a couple large catch pictures with the coons. Setting heavy and taking the easy ones.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: IllinoisTrapper1] #5253947
11/02/15 01:17 PM
11/02/15 01:17 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: IllinoisTrapper1
Awesome thanks for sharing, I'll have to haul some used cat litter into the woods and give it a shot.

You might not even need to set it out early. I know I've had discussions with Beav regarding cat litter. I was more so curious just to try to get their reaction to it as they passed by, and ultimately I'd like to get a bobcats reaction on camera.

With prices the way they are this was the year to try some off the wall things and see what I can come up with.

When he uses it he actually makes a large pattern with the cat litter right at his set. I think it will be added to the arsenal of flat sets/post sets when the weather gets nasty. They definitely can't go by it without urinating on it.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5264539
11/10/15 03:22 PM
11/10/15 03:22 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Getting closer to getting started on a majority of the animals. I've set 6 traps out over the last few days, and have done okay with the bait piles. I did put two road kill deer on different piles so I now have large baits in place. The deer bait pile I've used for a number of years has had two dropped on it so far this year, and they are both completely gone. Generations of coyotes/fox don't forget where their free meals are.

Here's some shots off the one pile I got to today. I just dropped another box full of trimmings there. The coyotes had it cleaned up from the last time I was there. I've got some coyotes here that look very similar and often times they look identical. I finally have pictures of more than one at a time so I know I'm not losing my mind. There's still one that seems to come in from time to time that is obviously very large square headed compared to these. He looks like an older male. I will probably put in a couple sets here this coming weekend. Right now we're supposed to be hit with some storms or I would have today.

This fox is becoming a regular customer.

I had the one landowner losing geese even in broad daylight. It's mostly pasture ground with knee high grass. Finding sign wasn't easy as all. He told me they were fox, and so that's what I set for. As I mentioned before when I went to his property I noted there were a couple llama carcasses from the summer that had been consumed with multiple trails going to them.

Much to my surprise the second morning I walked up, and a pretty large male coyote was jumping. I had set for fox with 1.5 Dukes. Luckily he was caught deep, and the single rebar held. These 6 sets I've been messing with were using a bait that I'd been sent, and a lure I'd been sent by other trappers that were curious to see their results.

I pulled these sets due to weather, and then got them back in a few days later, and the first night the fox finally showed up.

I had one camera in which I had a coyote visiting nightly. Lots of trash on this particular place. I caught possum after possum, and then skunk. One morning I had a good shot of back hair as the coyote had obviously rolled on my set. I pulled for the weather and came back to reset and a coyote had worked the edge of the catch circle for the skunk. I went ahead and reset the catch circle. The coyotes had also made a pretty good trail coming off the field edge to my bait pile. It was a very faint trail, and they hadn't been taking the same route as the coons. It was the perfect location to throw in a pipe dream set. I thought maybe the coyote would work the set a little harder in the cover as they were pretty leary of the set on the edge of the field with multiple catch circles. Once again bait I'd been sent and lure down the tube. Took her three nights, but she finally committed.

So far it's been a learning experience catching these critters. Hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can get into some of these places with more coyotes on them.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5264575
11/10/15 04:17 PM
11/10/15 04:17 PM
Alpine NY
Rick Otts Offline
trapper
Rick Otts  Offline
trapper

Alpine NY
Great job keep up the good work!

Rick Otts
Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5264631
11/10/15 05:10 PM
11/10/15 05:10 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Thanks for all the time you spent posting for us......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5264867
11/10/15 08:40 PM
11/10/15 08:40 PM
NY
2rivers Offline
trapper
2rivers  Offline
trapper

NY
Good work ! Interesting the effectiveness of the lure and bait doesn't wear off some after repeat visits.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5264921
11/10/15 09:13 PM
11/10/15 09:13 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I enjoy keeping little picture records of animals. 2Rivers they're continuously eating the scraps up they are getting a free meal. It took them a while to get on them, but they visit nightly at least until the scraps are gone and then they come back every 2-3 days to check for more. I do have cameras on two full road kill deer. I didn't make it to them today, but it will be interesting to see how hard they hit those carcasses.

The thing I've found most interesting while looking at 100's of pictures of these coyotes is their foot placement. I know it's always a hot topic one side or another offset. I think you can see in some of these pictures especially on the coyotes where a trap back 8 inches from the hole might not make a catch. It's things like that I enjoy the most about watching these guys.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5264967
11/10/15 09:46 PM
11/10/15 09:46 PM
Upstate, S.C.
C
Carcat Offline
trapper
Carcat  Offline
trapper
C

Upstate, S.C.
I've read that some trappers believe that wild animals don't want to eat meat with growth hormone, antibiotics, etc.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5265037
11/10/15 10:19 PM
11/10/15 10:19 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Thanks for sharing your efforts and results!

chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: Carcat] #5265365
11/11/15 07:27 AM
11/11/15 07:27 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Carcat
I've read that some trappers believe that wild animals don't want to eat meat with growth hormone, antibiotics, etc.

I have heard that as well especially it seems I've read on calf dead piles that got medicated before they died. I should clarify the scraps I'm getting have very little meat on them. It's the fat/lard that the guy doesn't use to ground up hamburger. So at first I think it took some getting used to there's very little meat on there. Once they did finally eat it they would gobble it down every time after that.

In the next couple days I hope to get back to the cameras that have carcass deer on them. It should be interesting to see what they draw in. I know my established site from years ago has had two deer dropped on it after de-boning. The first was gone in two nights, and the other is almost gone. It was placed 5 days ago. Trails are already starting to show up along the high side of the creek to the pile. Makes snaring perfect during a snow.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5265383
11/11/15 07:47 AM
11/11/15 07:47 AM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Funny you mentioned that.A guy here had 11 cows die last week and the coyotes have not touched them yet. Another guy told me he had a bull go down last year and nothing touched it all winter.

Nice job Wade!!

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: tbn] #5265398
11/11/15 08:07 AM
11/11/15 08:07 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: tbn
Funny you mentioned that.A guy here had 11 cows die last week and the coyotes have not touched them yet. Another guy told me he had a bull go down last year and nothing touched it all winter.

Nice job Wade!!

The bait sure does work! Thanks again. We'll see if I can catch a few more during this storm with what I have left. Pulled out the wax dirt. They should be moving.

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5265443
11/11/15 09:19 AM
11/11/15 09:19 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Wade, I've used a lot of scraps for snaring yotes for years. You mentioned that the yotes like to take a chunk and eat it elsewhere, and I notice that that is a canine attribute, as my little dog even does that with her treats. I have snared a lot of bones out of coyotes mouths, and also noticed a number of bones in snare circles after a catch. Sometimes you win, sometimes the coyote! Good luck!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: Carcat] #5265470
11/11/15 09:58 AM
11/11/15 09:58 AM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Carcat

I dont know but last year I found a bunch of coyote scat with cellophane and "5 for $5" stickers in it. Lol

Re: Baiting multiple species. [Re: WadeRyan] #5265666
11/11/15 01:17 PM
11/11/15 01:17 PM
venango county,pennslyvania
minklessinpa Offline
trapper
minklessinpa  Offline
trapper

venango county,pennslyvania
that cat litter, my pup goes nuts eating the tootsie rolls in the litter, must be a lot of flavor left in them!

life member Pennsylvania trappers
life member vfw
member fta
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91