ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Funny You Should Ask! #5236781
10/19/15 05:32 PM
10/19/15 05:32 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Two days ago a new customer asked me what so many customers have asked over the years: "Don't you save the hides and sell them for

good money too?" Rather than explain the entire fur business I just tell them we have not skinned a single animal in the 27 years

we've been in the ADC business. I just read the projected fur report for this year and I was stunned. We were paid higher prices

when gas was 25 cents a gallon. Low prices means less trappers and who can blame them. The raw fur trade has never kept up with

inflation but this is ridiculous. I guess I should be grateful that I'm not a fur farmer. The ranched fur isn't selling that well
either.

Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5236803
10/19/15 05:47 PM
10/19/15 05:47 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
I get asked what I do with all the dead moles.......
"I make moleskin underpants out of 'em" I reply.

that seems to quieten them down a little! ha ha

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5236872
10/19/15 06:49 PM
10/19/15 06:49 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
LOL grin

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: roe] #5236894
10/19/15 07:14 PM
10/19/15 07:14 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Originally Posted By: roe
I get asked what I do with all the dead moles.......
"I make moleskin underpants out of 'em" I reply.

that seems to quieten them down a little! ha ha

I tell them I make a stew with them.

Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5236950
10/19/15 08:02 PM
10/19/15 08:02 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I just look at them with my head sideways and say " I don't know I haven't caught any yet" and the they don't sign the darn contact

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5237055
10/19/15 08:56 PM
10/19/15 08:56 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
My moles i catch are fertilizer in that spot...i drop em into the tunnel

Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5237087
10/19/15 09:11 PM
10/19/15 09:11 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
A little short but true story that this topic brings to mind.

I remember years ago when I owned a couple pair of cargo pants when I was able to afford the cost of them which had 4 zippered pockets.

I was doing a mole job and this was my first check. I had caught several moles at this job. Out of my catch I had two that were caught by the skin and were still quite lively.

Being the curious individual that I was and most likely one of the reasons that I got into this type of work. I wanted to take the moles home and do some observations for a little while. I had anticipated the potential for catching one or two moles for my education.

I had readied a fairly large aquarium weeks earlier for this moment. I had filled the tank with good top soil and laid a cut piece of sod on the top of the soil. I added a few dozen night crawlers, some cicada larvae and grubs. I had planned on watching the moles activity for a few days or weeks. I didn't know how well they would adapt in captivity.

I was using a medium sized canvas cloth bag for holding and carrying traps etc. when I mole trapped in the early years. The spear traps and O/S are bulky traps so the bag worked well for my needs. Having caught the two moles still in good shape I put them into the bag until I was done checking the rest of my traps.

The problem with the bag design is that they kept crawling up and out of my bag when I would set the bag down to check other traps. The sides would collapse to one side or the other. After a couple escapes I decided to just put them into my left front cargo pants pocket and zipped them in until I could get back to my truck. I had a bucket in my truck to keep them until I got back home as I knew the bucket would contain them on the ride home.

Now to the twist to the story.

As I was just about done checking, the homeowner "Maria" came home and walked out to greet me in her yard.I didn't think anything of it at the time but I did catch on a few moments later. As "Maria" and I exchanged greetings she asked how things were going. I said "it was a good first day."

I asked her if she would like to see the moles I had caught and she said sure. So she bent over to get a better look into my bag which still had a few traps in it. When she bent over to look into my bag she was within a few feet of me standing in front of her.

When she looked up at me her gaze stopped at my moving pocket for a few moments and said that she had never seen anything like that before. Thinking she was talking about the dead moles.

I had gotten use to the moles movement and crawling activity in my pocket so I didn't think anything of it. I just tried to ignore it during our little visit. However, "Maria" took notice.

She just froze for a few seconds again and stared at the disturbance in my pocket. Then she stood straight up and said " That is truly amazing, keep up the good work Bob.

Then "Maria" just turned and walked straight back to the house, nothing else was said.

When I finished the job and it was time to get paid, I was subconsciously wondering how this would play out after our last visit in the lawn. I couldn't imagine what that woman thought or what she told anyone else about the incident.

I do know that I got several referrals from her in the weeks after my job was completed there. I guess I must have impressed her with my abilities. smile The new customers made it a point to tell me that "Maria" had referred me to them.

I think back about that day many years ago and laugh or smile when it comes to mind.

Gotta love this work. Maybe the next "Magic Mike" movie would give me a cameo role audition.

Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5237094
10/19/15 09:16 PM
10/19/15 09:16 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I recently purchased a appliance store inventory, for the purpose of rendering......

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5237278
10/19/15 11:25 PM
10/19/15 11:25 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Keep 'em coming Bob. I live for stories like that.

Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5239776
10/22/15 12:42 AM
10/22/15 12:42 AM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
a cased skin mole (like beaver) put up on a little hoop makes a great novelty thing.

Re: Funny You Should Ask! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5239781
10/22/15 12:48 AM
10/22/15 12:48 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Yeah, and the next thing you know my granddaughter's Barbie Doll will want a full length coat.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread